Runway ID

Old October 15th 05, 06:11 PM
Chris

Default Runway ID

"A. Smith" wrote in message

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
. ..
The original poster got it right with his use of the phrase "Runway ID",
because it is, in fact, an ID based on a number, as opposed to some type
of
number.

What is the magnetic heading of Runway 5?

If someone is named "Fred", do you refer to them as "Zero Fred"?

The point is, we are dealing with a "name" which consists of a numeral,
as
opposed to an actual number.

The runway is NAMED Runway 5. Why would you prepend a zero to a NAME?

Not just to you Bill but..............when you are on short final to a
runway heading about 010 degrees does it have "1" or "01" painted on it?

Depends where you are. Here in the UK you see 01. So runway five in the
original example has 05 painted on the threshold. By the way, what is
painted on the runway sign boards, etc?

But the runway ID is a number and it is a number giving the approximate
magnetic direction, otherwise they would not change it occasionally when too
far out and not a name. Otherwise lets call them by real names.

Runway Harold, or runway Freda. Not as much use as 05, really.

Old October 15th 05, 06:28 PM
A. Smith

"Chris" wrote in message

"A. Smith" wrote in message

[...]

I would say it is the runway name painted on the threshold and should be
pronounced as it is written.

Allen

Old October 15th 05, 06:37 PM
A. Smith

"Chris" wrote in message

"A. Smith" wrote in message

[...]

Runway Harold is ok, as is runway Freda. Runway Fred is not, it could be
Runway Freda or Frederick. If I am in a crowded room and someone calls out
"Hey Allen" I would be compeled to look around and see who was calling.
Now, if they were to call "Hey Al" I probably wouldn't even look up. They
could be calling for Allen, Albert, Alfred or a number of other "Als".

Allen

Old October 15th 05, 08:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in message
m...

AIM 4-2-10 "Directions:
Examples
1. (Magnetic course) 005 .....zero zero five
2. (True course) 050.............zero five zero true
...."

The magnetic heading of Runway 5 is zero five zero.

The magnetic azimuth of Runway 5 could be significantly different than 050.
A runway with magnetic azimuth of 045 through 054 would normally be
designated Runway 5. But magnetic azimuth changes over time, and as I
recall the directives allow for a difference of six degrees before
redesignation and repainting are required. But that's not adhered to very
closely. The ATW airport diagram shows the azimuth of RWY 29 to be 297.9
degrees. Runway 7L at MKE had an azimuth of 053 degrees before it was
rebuilt some ten years ago or so, no doubt to prevent confusion with Runway
7R.

Old October 15th 05, 10:58 PM
Doug Carter

Seems most appropiate to simply use the name painted on the end of the
runway.
Old October 15th 05, 11:30 PM
Morgans

"Lakeview Bill" wrote No...

The magnetic heading of Runway 5 can be any heading between 046 and 054.

Actually, it could be 045 to 055. There is a choice of rounding up or down,
with a heading ending in "5".
--
Jim in NC

Old October 16th 05, 12:51 AM
BTIZ

I always love it when they have to rename/repaint the runway because the
magnetic heading for the runway changed.. and to the non-informed... no..
the earth did not move to change the runway..

I'm betting some ol'timers out there remember when the leading zero was
painted on... 05
so it was Runway zero five

BT

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
. ..
The magnetic heading of Runway 5 can be any heading between 046 and 054.

From the Pilot/Controller Glossary: RUNWAY - ...Runways are normally
numbered in relation to their magnetic direction rounded off to the
nearest
10 degrees...

Go to http://www.airnav.com/ and examine some of their airport
information
sheets.

For example at KIGQ, with a magnetic variation of 02W (1995), RWY 18 has
heading of: 182 magnetic, 180 true.

So, it really is best to think of a "runway number" not as a number, but
as
a name composed of numeric characters 0-9 plus "L", "R", "C".

If you don't think of the runway number as a number (corresponding to an
approximate heading), then how do you form an expectation about which
direction to fly to enter, say, a downwind leg for a particular runway?

--Gary

Old October 16th 05, 12:59 AM
Chris

"A. Smith" wrote in message
t...

"Chris" wrote in message

"A. Smith" wrote in message

[...]

ICAO standards offer a two digit number but then the US don't follow ICAO

Old October 16th 05, 02:04 AM
Matt Barrow

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I always love it when they have to rename/repaint the runway because the
magnetic heading for the runway changed.. and to the non-informed... no..
the earth did not move to change the runway..

Only in the case of Mayor Daley.

Old October 16th 05, 02:32 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BTIZ" wrote in message

I'm betting some ol'timers out there remember when the leading zero was
painted on... 05
so it was Runway zero five

The real ol' timers remember when runways were numbered sequentially
clockwise from north.

Pilots Slick Piloting 4 November 20th 04 11:21 AM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 117 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Owning 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Piloting 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM