So why did Cessna buy Columbia?

Old November 17th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default So why did Cessna buy Columbia?

Is Cessna looking at it as a huge shortcut to building (and just adding
overnight) composite aircraft to their piston single lineup? I personally
like the Columbia line, if I had an extra half million laying around I would
love to have a 400.

------------------------------
DW

Old November 17th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Darkwing wrote:
Is Cessna looking at it as a huge shortcut to building (and just adding
overnight) composite aircraft to their piston single lineup? I personally
like the Columbia line, if I had an extra half million laying around I would
love to have a 400.

I expect mostly that Textron thought they could make a go of it.
Textron (parent of Cessna, Lycoming, Bell Helicopter, Macauley,
EZ GO, Greenlee, Jacobson Lawm Mowers, and a whole slew of little
guys including my company) is the original conglomerate. They're
very acquisition minded of companies with earning and growth
potential especially when it fits in with areas they think
are gaps in their capabilities.

Old November 17th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-11-17 07:54:38 -0800, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com said:

Is Cessna looking at it as a huge shortcut to building (and just adding
overnight) composite aircraft to their piston single lineup? I personally
like the Columbia line, if I had an extra half million laying around I would
love to have a 400.

------------------------------
DW

Cessna likes the Columbia, too, and they will continue producing the
aircraft. The interesting thing is that the Columbia production
facility is bigger than the Cessna piston facility in Independence. Yet
it is producing far below capacity, while the Independence facility has
been almost completely taken over by the Mustang. Cessna has only one
production line left open for piston singles despite the fact that they
have a backlog of several years' worth of orders.

You do the math and see what conclusion you come to. Personally, if I
worked at Cessna building piston singles, I would be house-hunting in
Oregon already, before things become a little tight.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 17th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

On 2007-11-17 07:54:38 -0800, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com said:

[...]

Very good point, I didn't know that the piston line and building was so
small.

----------------------------
DW

Old November 18th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Cessna is building a plant in Georgia.

Old November 18th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:23:07 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2007-11-17 07:54:38 -0800, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com said:

[...]

That, and the fact that Cessna needs a fast four place piston airplane
to compete in the market these days. Also, it's much cheaper to buy
into a completed flying aircraft than develop one from scratch.

Ron Kelley
Old November 18th 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Darkwing,

Has the deal gone through yet?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 18th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Darkwing,

Has the deal gone through yet?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

They have to get through the bankruptcy first from what I understand but
Cessna has positioned themselves to buy it.

Old November 18th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Darkwing,

They have to get through the bankruptcy first from what I understand but
Cessna has positioned themselves to buy it.

As I understand it, there are several other bidders, Cirrus among them.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 19th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-11-18 13:33:02 -0800, Thomas Borchert
said:

Darkwing,

They have to get through the bankruptcy first from what I understand but
Cessna has positioned themselves to buy it.

As I understand it, there are several other bidders, Cirrus among them.

The last thing Cirrus wants is for Cessna to buy Columbia, so they have
been acting as 'spoilers' attempting to disrupt the deal. They don't
really want Columbia for themselves.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Cessna shopping for Columbia? Dan Luke[_2_] Piloting 11 November 28th 07 05:35 PM
Cessna buys Columbia? John[_9_] Owning 2 September 25th 07 04:24 PM
Airports Around Columbia SC S Ramirez Piloting 16 December 24th 03 12:08 PM
be careful if you fly in Columbia EDR Piloting 0 August 20th 03 05:43 PM
Age Wasn't a Cause of the Columbia Disaster blackfire Military Aviation 0 July 15th 03 01:21 AM