Altitude ceiling engine choices

Old October 2nd 05, 03:29 PM

You guys are giving bad advice. I fly a Glastar with an O-320 E2A in
it. I have flown dozens of hours at density altitudes above 15000 ft.
And that is with the plane loaded to GW. With the plane loaded lightly
I have had it above 21000 density altitude (which was right at 18000 ft
MSL) using autogas, just to see how high I could go. I have flown
across the Rockies half a dozen times at VFR altitudes of 13500, 14500
and 15500, depending on which way I'm going. Those flights were at
density altitudes typically 2000 to 3000 higher than the MSL altitudes.
The Slick mags never misfired even at 21000 ft, but the plane was at
it's service ceiling of 100 fpm there and I'm sure any misfiring would
have resulted in a descent. I enjoy high altitude XC flights using O2
and a pulse oximeter, the air is smooth, cool and the plane runs great.
Don't blame your engine for limits imposed by your airframes.
Justaguy

Old October 2nd 05, 05:41 PM
John Ammeter

that sounds like my situation...

John

Kyle Boatright wrote:

Someone with 150 hp and a cruise prop might not be able to generate a whole
lot of rpm and therefore power at that altitude. It goes back to the
compromises you make with a fixed pitch prop. Also, it depends on how
heavily loaded the RV-6 was. I list my 160 hp, fixed pitch RV-6's gross
weight at 1675 lb, and the climb and altitude performance really suffer with
the last 50 lbs or so.

KB

Old October 2nd 05, 10:36 PM
Cy Galley

Plane is telling you to skip desert!

Kyle Boatright wrote:

Someone with 150 hp and a cruise prop might not be able to generate a
whole lot of rpm and therefore power at that altitude. It goes back to
the compromises you make with a fixed pitch prop. Also, it depends on
how heavily loaded the RV-6 was. I list my 160 hp, fixed pitch RV-6's
gross weight at 1675 lb, and the climb and altitude performance really
suffer with the last 50 lbs or so.

KB

ROP masking of engine problems Roger Long Piloting 1 September 25th 04 07:13 PM
Engines and Reliability Dylan Smith Piloting 13 June 30th 04 03:27 PM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Motorgliders and gliders in US contests Brian Case Soaring 22 September 24th 03 12:42 AM