A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

International Vintage Sailplane Meet at Elmira, NY

Old June 17th 16, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Default International Vintage Sailplane Meet at Elmira, NY

More info and registration: www.soaringmuseum.org and www.vintagesailplane.org

In just three weeks I'll be flying my 1967 Schleicher ASK-13 with a second open "sport canopy" off of Harris Hill. Breezy but fun! Photos on my FB page under Burton Compton.

Thanks to Thomas Wendl in Germany for locating a bare frame, Matt Michael, Adam Kite, Chris Uhl and Robert Mudd in the USA for helping in the various stages to the completion of this factory-approved "Cabriolet" canopy.

Now, I just gotta drive 2,300 miles from west Texas to Elmira, NY. Done it twice before (avoiding Interstates), always an adventure. The California vintage folks have the really long drive, but they know it is worth it!
Old June 17th 16, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 9:57:44 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
More info and registration: www.soaringmuseum.org and www.vintagesailplane.org

In just three weeks I'll be flying my 1967 Schleicher ASK-13 with a second open "sport canopy" off of Harris Hill. Breezy but fun! Photos on my FB page under Burton Compton.

Thanks to Thomas Wendl in Germany for locating a bare frame, Matt Michael, Adam Kite, Chris Uhl and Robert Mudd in the USA for helping in the various stages to the completion of this factory-approved "Cabriolet" canopy.

Now, I just gotta drive 2,300 miles from west Texas to Elmira, NY. Done it twice before (avoiding Interstates), always an adventure. The California vintage folks have the really long drive, but they know it is worth it!

Burt, our club (St Louis Soaring) also has a nice '67 K-13, and we even have a spare canopy w/frame hanging on the hangar wall. I've seen pictures of the open canopy mod and suggested we mod ours (to go with our sports canopy 1-26) but was told it couldn't be done due to the standard airworthiness certification. How did you get yours approved?

If your route passes through the St Louis area, we are just east of the city near Highland, IL (exit 30 on I-70 eastbound). Airport is Hightland-Winet, H07. Would love to see the glider and perhaps convince our club to do the same!

Regards,

Kirk
Old June 17th 16, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk
external usenet poster

http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/w...30_TM15_DE.pdf

It's a factory-approved modification.

Old June 17th 16, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 2:00:07 PM UTC-5, Eric Munk wrote:
http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/w...30_TM15_DE.pdf

It's a factory-approved modification.

cool! (yeah, cheap pun intended...).

Sounds like I've got a project to push this winter.

Cheers,

Kirk