O-470 cylinders

Old March 22nd 05, 04:10 AM
RST Engineering

Default O-470 cylinders

As most of you know, I threw a jug in east BF Wyoming coming home from
Oshkosh last year. I put on an emergency cylinder from a reputable shop,
but the serial number indicated that this replacement jug has been around
for a long, long time.

I'm getting ready for the summer flying season, the Oshkosh trip, and
perhaps an Alaska trip next summer. I want to put on a good replacement jug
and perhaps a full set of replacement jugs once the top end of the engine
starts to deteriorate.

I'm told that Millenium is the jug of choice today, but I'd like some
comments...

If YOU were putting a replacement jug on an O-470 today, what would YOU use?
And who would you buy it from if you could supply an A&P/IA number to ship
it to?

Jim

Old March 22nd 05, 05:38 AM
kage

I would buy new ECI "Titan" cylinders with nickel-carbide coatings. I would
also buy the cheap ones that are all new except "rebarreled." About $1050
each. Saves about $200/ea. I think RAM has them.

KG

Old March 22nd 05, 01:45 PM
Denny

When I did the top on my Super Viking I used ECI cylinders and had zero
problems and at this moment I would be tempted by their new Titan
cylinders...
Remember, money talks, especially when you quote a competitors figure
and then say, 'beat it and you get the business'.... If you are not a
good wheeler dealer, get someone else to make the calls...
One thing I have found over the years in business that greases the
skids like no other is direct money transfer to their bank... People
really like the idea that the money will be in hand within an hour or
two, and that there will not be a 3% withdrawal by Visa...

denny

Old March 22nd 05, 03:45 PM
Denny

http://www.vansairforce.net/eci/FlashEngine.htm

Here's a little blurb about the TItan's from a customer...

denny

Old March 22nd 05, 06:38 PM
Paul kgyy

See if you can get a copy of Aviation Consumer's article a year or so
back on this. Also, check out ECI cylinders. Remember that a top OH
doesn't add much value to your airplane, where a full overhaul does if
done by a reputable shop.

Old March 23rd 05, 04:31 AM
Jon A.

On 22 Mar 2005 09:38:36 -0800, "Paul kgyy"
wrote:

See if you can get a copy of Aviation Consumer's article a year or so
back on this. Also, check out ECI cylinders. Remember that a top OH
doesn't add much value to your airplane, where a full overhaul does if
done by a reputable shop.

Better yet, contact the folks at GAMI. They may open your eyes a bit
about those ECI's from what they've been seeing.

Old March 23rd 05, 06:44 AM
SAC

I have just purchased 6 rebuilt O470 cylinders from ECI. I can't tell you
how they'll do, but I can tell you that I'd never use Continental cylinders
again. This set lasted 1000 hour and started testing at 10-15 psi while
leaking through the exhaust valves. Also, you shouldn't need an A&P/IA
number to order your jugs, I just called ECI and told them what I wanted.
I'm just a "customer".

For reference, our last set were Millenium's and they held compressions
until we decided to overhaul at 200 over TBO. Compressions were in the mid
60's, but never dropped. This is considered good for Continentals. I would
choose Milleniums again if given the chance.

This time around, we are restricted to using ECI's due to our Texas Skyway's
O470 STC. We were told that we had to use ECI cylinders(to meet the STC)
because they perform the same modification....whatever that is, the STC is a
big secret that they won't release. We're starting to discover that the
Texas Skyway's HP increase is nothing more that a high flow carb
adjustment....but that's another discussion.

SAC

Old March 24th 05, 12:26 AM
Jon A.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:49:27 GMT, Rip
wrote:

In what way? Please elucidate.

Every time I "elucidate" (I guess), I get flamed from the intelligent
lurkers on the group while the more intelligent stand by, never
participating but understanding exactly what I say. If you want the
opinion of a few people who have for years been carefully watching
cylinders of all manufacture, looking at both their strengths and
weaknesses, contact the group at GAMI. Granted they don't have the
armchair backass experience that most of the people here have with
second guessing, but if a scientific opinion, gathered from the use of
thousands of hours of measured data using instruments that are on the
cutting edge interests you, give them a call.

I really don't want to say anything else about it. For you
armchairers, it's because I'm full of sh*t, so no need to take note.

Old March 24th 05, 12:28 AM
Jon A.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:44:02 GMT, "SAC" wrote:

I have just purchased 6 rebuilt O470 cylinders from ECI. I can't tell you
how they'll do, but I can tell you that I'd never use Continental cylinders
again. This set lasted 1000 hour and started testing at 10-15 psi while
leaking through the exhaust valves. Also, you shouldn't need an A&P/IA
number to order your jugs, I just called ECI and told them what I wanted.
I'm just a "customer".

Right on, but a mechanic may get a better price.

For reference, our last set were Millenium's and they held compressions
until we decided to overhaul at 200 over TBO. Compressions were in the mid
60's, but never dropped. This is considered good for Continentals. I would
choose Milleniums again if given the chance.

Great choice.

This time around, we are restricted to using ECI's due to our Texas Skyway's
O470 STC. We were told that we had to use ECI cylinders(to meet the STC)
because they perform the same modification....whatever that is, the STC is a
big secret that they won't release. We're starting to discover that the
Texas Skyway's HP increase is nothing more that a high flow carb
adjustment....but that's another discussion.

The Texas boys all seem to stick together.

SAC