exhaust manifold steel

Old August 2nd 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.avation.owning
dave

Default exhaust manifold steel

What type of stainless is used for most general aviation aircraft?
I had a welder friend of mine ask me this question.

Thanks

Dave
Old August 3rd 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Murray

"Dave" wrote in message
What type of stainless is used for most general aviation aircraft?
I had a welder friend of mine ask me this question.

Thanks

Dave

321 is the alloy of choice for exhaust systems, and should be welded using
347 rod and backfilling the piece with argon.

Bob

Old August 4th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.avation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:43:30 -0400, Dave wrote:

What type of stainless is used for most general aviation aircraft?
I had a welder friend of mine ask me this question.

Thanks

Dave

I presume that you are asking about exhausts since stainless is not
used in most of GA aircraft at all.
the alloy for much of the exhaust is called inconel.
if they are stainless then 321 is used on flanges and in pipes.

whatever alloy is used should be non magnetic and have some resistance
to erosion by hot exhaust gasses.

Stealth Pilot

Old August 4th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

I presume that you are asking about exhausts since stainless is not
used in most of GA aircraft at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are many firewalls not made of stainless, or
layers of stainless and other heat resistant fibers?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 5th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:14:26 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

I presume that you are asking about exhausts since stainless is not
used in most of GA aircraft at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are many firewalls not made of stainless, or
layers of stainless and other heat resistant fibers?

both statements are correct Jim.
most of GA aircraft are built commercially and most dont use stainless
in the firewalls.
most homebuilders though seem to favour stainless in the firewalls.

what I missed of course was his subject line.
inconel is what he wanted to know though.

Stealth Pilot

Old August 5th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

what I missed of course was his subject line.
inconel is what he wanted to know though.

Duh! Me too!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 6th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

On Aug 4, 11:14*am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote

I presume that you are asking about exhausts since stainless is not
used in most of GA aircraft at all.

*Correct me if I'm wrong, but are many firewalls not made of stainless, or
layers of stainless and other heat resistant fibers?
--
Jim in NC

Most are stainless, as are the exhaust systems. Stainless is iron
with lots of chromium and nickel. Inconel, IIRC, is chromium and
copper, and Monel is chromium and nickel, no iron in either. That's
from memory, which is often unreliable now. Plain carbon steel mighht
be found in homebuilt exhaust systems, like mine, but their lives are
much shorter.

Dan
Old August 6th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Kuykendall

On Aug 6, 10:01*am, wrote:

...Stainless is iron
with lots of chromium and nickel. Inconel, IIRC, is chromium and
copper, and Monel is chromium and nickel, no iron in either...

Actually, I think that Monel is an alloy of nickel and copper, with
trace amounts of other stuff including iron.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old August 7th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Dohm

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 10:01 am, wrote:

...Stainless is iron
with lots of chromium and nickel. Inconel, IIRC, is chromium and
copper, and Monel is chromium and nickel, no iron in either...

Actually, I think that Monel is an alloy of nickel and copper, with
trace amounts of other stuff including iron.

Thanks, Bob K.

----------new post-----------

I just "googled" and found that there about a zillion Inconel alloys, but
that the primary constituents are Nickel and Chromiun with some others
including Iron and is primarily for high temperature applications.

Monel is promarily Nickel and Copper plus additional constituents and is
primarily for corrosion resistance.

Both were developments of the same company.

Peter

Old August 7th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Aug 6, 10:01 am, wrote:

...Stainless is iron
with lots of chromium and nickel. Inconel, IIRC, is chromium and
copper, and Monel is chromium and nickel, no iron in either...

Actually, I think that Monel is an alloy of nickel and copper, with
trace amounts of other stuff including iron.

Thanks, Bob K.

----------new post-----------

I just "googled" and found that there about a zillion Inconel alloys, but
that the primary constituents are Nickel and Chromiun with some others
including Iron and is primarily for high temperature applications.

Monel is promarily Nickel and Copper plus additional constituents and is
primarily for corrosion resistance.

Both were developments of the same company.

Peter

inconel being particularly suited to aircraft exhausts because it is
more resistant to erosion of the metal by the hot exhaust gasses.

if you arent going to use inconel at least use 316 stainless for its
non magnetic qualities.

aircraft compasses are actually useful at times.
Stealth Pilot