Holds when PT NA

Old April 8th 04, 11:29 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Ron Rosenfeld wrote in message . ..
On 08 Apr 2004 12:44:43 GMT, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

The NoPT is for the GDM transition. For the CAHOW transition (from EEN)
you will be expected to do a PT (hold in this case). This all assumes a
non radar environment.

Would it not be more accurate to say "this all assumes" you are not in a
"radar vectors to final" situation?

Yes, of course. I had inadvertantly assumed radar environment to mean
radar vectoring. However, I can't think of any time when ATC did not
vector me in a radar environment unless I specifically requested a
full approach.
Old April 9th 04, 01:14 AM
David Rind

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

§ 91.175 Takeoff and landing under IFR.

(j) Limitation on procedure turns. In the case of a radar vector to a final
approach course or fix, a timed approach from a holding fix, or an approach
for which the procedure specifies "No PT," no pilot may make a procedure
turn unless cleared to do so by ATC.

Yes, of course. This is what says that you cannot do a PT in this
situation without ATC authorization (as I pointed out I understood
in my initial post). My question was whether a holding pattern
in lieu of a PT fell under the same rule. What caused my question
is that in the AIM (5-4-8, section b) the discussion splits limitations
on PTs and on holds in lieu of PTs:

1. In the case of a radar initial approach to a final approach fix or
position, or a timed approach from a holding fix, or where the procedure
specifies NoPT, no pilot may make a procedure turn unless, when final
approach clearance is received, the pilot so advises ATC and a clearance
is received to execute a procedure turn.

3. When a holding pattern replaces a procedure turn, the holding pattern
must be followed, except when RADAR VECTORING is provided or when NoPT
is shown on the approach course.

So that in section 1 above it says you may not do a PT if it says
NoPT, while in section 3 it says you must do a hold in lieu of a PT
unless it says NoPT. Under section 3 alone, it would seem possible
that a hold in lieu of a PT is permitted but not required if it
says NoPT. I write this just to explain why I was unsure. Everyone
here seems to agree that just like a PT, a hold in lieu of a PT
is not permitted if it says NoPT.

--
David Rind

Old April 9th 04, 01:37 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

Well, ATC has certain requirements in order to give you vectors to final.
And those requirements are not always met even in a "radar environment".
For example -- my home base.

What are those requirements? Are you talking about MVA?
Old April 9th 04, 03:21 AM
Brad Z

According to Don Brown of Avweb, the FAC must be painted on the center radar
scope in order to issue vectors:

"As far as the "unable vectors" goes ... for controllers at the Centers, the
FAC (final approach course) must be depicted if we are to vector aircraft to
it. If it's not depicted, we can't vector for it. Period. Again, I don't
believe there is any way for a pilot to know this or find out ahead of time.
All you can do is ask."

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/186645-1.html

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...
Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

Old April 9th 04, 06:53 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 09 Apr 2004 00:37:42 GMT, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

What are those requirements? Are you talking about MVA?

Oh no. I'm sure someone will correct me if I have it wrong, but there are
requirements for the radar scale display, as well as having the approach
gate and a line representing the final approach course depicted on the
radar screen. I think the line has to be a certain length. There may be
other requirements of which I am not aware.

Old April 9th 04, 06:55 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 09 Apr 2004 00:37:42 GMT, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

What are those requirements? Are you talking about MVA?

Just as an addendum, the requirement to have the course depicted on the
screen is certainly true for ARTCC's. Whether it is also true for terminal
radar facilities I'm not sure. I seem to recall some discussions along
that line in the past.

Old April 9th 04, 02:54 PM

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

Well, ATC has certain requirements in order to give you vectors to final.
And those requirements are not always met even in a "radar environment".
For example -- my home base.

What are those requirements? Are you talking about MVA?

The "final approach course" and approach gate (radar fix one mile prior to FAF
or 5 miles from the runway threshold, whichever is further) must be displayed
on the ATC video map. If the facility elects not to have the IAP video-mapped
in this manner then vectors to final are not permitted.

Old April 9th 04, 02:56 PM

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On 09 Apr 2004 00:37:42 GMT, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

What are those requirements? Are you talking about MVA?

Just as an addendum, the requirement to have the course depicted on the
screen is certainly true for ARTCC's. Whether it is also true for terminal
radar facilities I'm not sure. I seem to recall some discussions along
that line in the past.

Has to be appropriately video-mapped for approach controls as well.

Old April 9th 04, 08:28 PM
David Brooks

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
om...

Yes, of course. I had inadvertantly assumed radar environment to mean
radar vectoring. However, I can't think of any time when ATC did not
vector me in a radar environment unless I specifically requested a
full approach.

Well, people are coming up with exceptions, although I understand what
you're saying. Here's another: you can be close enough on the far side of an
on-field VOR that you'll be let loose to do the full VOR approach. Last time
I did that at Paine field the tower controller remarked on how quickly I had
done the PT: it was a 90-270 but I had gone far enough out not to need a
slam-dunk.

-- David Brooks