Windshields - tint or clear?

Old February 9th 04, 07:08 PM
Roger Long

Default Windshields - tint or clear?

I've got 24 hours to decide on a new windshield. What are the pros and cons
of clear vs tint?

I'm leaning towards clear since you can always put sunglasses on. I haven't
seen any "de-tint" glasses.

--
Roger Long

Old February 9th 04, 08:00 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Roger Long" om
wrote:

I've got 24 hours to decide on a new windshield. What are the pros and cons
of clear vs tint?

I'm leaning towards clear since you can always put sunglasses on. I haven't
seen any "de-tint" glasses.

--
Roger Long

Tinted will restrict tour night visibility -- it is a bad idea!
Old February 9th 04, 08:43 PM
Jim Weir

Clear.

Tint looks sexy; clear works best for the reasons you provided...no anti-tint
glasses on the market yet.

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old February 9th 04, 08:55 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Roger Long om wrote:
I'm leaning towards clear since you can always put sunglasses on. I haven't
seen any "de-tint" glasses.

Get the tinted windshield and night vision goggles.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old February 9th 04, 11:08 PM
Jon Kraus

or spent the few extra bucks and get the windshield with the night vison
built in.... ;-)

Get the clear...

Old February 10th 04, 12:00 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Long wrote:

I've got 24 hours to decide on a new windshield. What are the pros and cons
of clear vs tint?

My Maule came with a tinted windshield; for some reason, clear was an option that
would've cost extra. I like it better than the windshield in my old Cessna (which
I assume was clear). I don't usually have to wear sunglasses and I have not noticed
any degradation in night vision.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:08:12 GMT, "Roger Long"
om wrote:

I've got 24 hours to decide on a new windshield. What are the pros and cons
of clear vs tint?

I'm leaning towards clear since you can always put sunglasses on. I haven't
seen any "de-tint" glasses.

I'd want a UV blocker on it, but beyond that, I think I'd prefer
clear.

Those in the Deb appear to have a very light green tint, but I think
it's due to them being so thick. near 1/2 inch for the wind shield
and 1/4 inch side windows. (No noise in heavy rain)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old February 10th 04, 02:41 AM
Peter Duniho

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...
I've got 24 hours to decide on a new windshield. What are the pros and

cons
of clear vs tint?

I'm leaning towards clear since you can always put sunglasses on. I

haven't
seen any "de-tint" glasses.

It just depends. My airplane's windows have a slight tint, sort of a light
blue/green color. It may help the cabin not get quite so hot on sunny days
(though, I doubt it's a significant effect) and it does help cut the
brightness a bit, but it also means I have to color-correct all the photos I
take from the plane.

If I were actually flying in a hot, sunny environment on a regular basis,
I'd probably like a tint on all the windows, maybe even darker than what's
on my plane now (at least on the sides). But otherwise, I'd prefer no tint
at all, to maximize the brightness of the view when it's grey out and so
that my pictures come out better.

Pete