Transmissions

Old April 2nd 04, 11:10 PM
John Harper

Whether it CAN or not I've no idea, not without
looking it up at home anyway, but for sure he WASN'T.

John

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message
John Harper wrote:
That doesn't always work either. The other day I was
overtaking a twin on the way into Palo Alto (my home
airport). The twin called in after me and was told #1.
I was told to follow. I said "I'll need to make a 360".
"No, he's a Seneca, he's much faster than you".
"I'm overtaking him off my left wing right now"
"What kind of Cessna are you???"
"Skylane retractable, showing 140 indicated."
"OK, make a right 360".

The Seneca can't fly faster than a retractable Skylane? I find that
hard to believe. Did he have an engine out? :-)

Matt

Old April 3rd 04, 02:46 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message

Every facility has their own procedures for tagging up the VFR targets.
We use C for Cessna and P for Piper too but we also use CK for
Cherokee TC for twin Cessna, CQ for Conquest, CT for Citation, NJ for
Navajo, NV for Navion. We have about 25 different ones for VFR use.

We use up to four alphanumeric characters, the only proviso being the first
one must be a letter. Examples; a Cessna 172 would be C172, a Piper
Comanche would be a PA24, a Beech Bonanza would be a BE35, a Stinson Reliant
would be a RELI. See the pattern?

Old April 3rd 04, 07:12 AM
Chip Jones

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Newps" wrote in message

Every facility has their own procedures for tagging up the VFR targets.
We use C for Cessna and P for Piper too but we also use CK for
Cherokee TC for twin Cessna, CQ for Conquest, CT for Citation, NJ for
Navajo, NV for Navion. We have about 25 different ones for VFR use.

We use up to four alphanumeric characters, the only proviso being the

first
one must be a letter. Examples; a Cessna 172 would be C172, a Piper
Comanche would be a PA24, a Beech Bonanza would be a BE35, a Stinson

Reliant
would be a RELI. See the pattern?

LOL, I think I do. Strangely enough, FAA seems to use official alphanumeric
characters that bear an uncanny resemblance to GRB Tracon's VFR tags. So do
all of the ARTCC's....

Chip, ZTL

Old April 3rd 04, 01:33 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
ink.net...

LOL, I think I do. Strangely enough, FAA seems to use official
alphanumeric characters that bear an uncanny resemblance to
GRB Tracon's VFR tags. So do all of the ARTCC's....

We use 'em for IFR traffic too.

Old April 3rd 04, 04:03 PM
jsmith

Try using "North American".

Ron Natalie wrote:

"Maule Driver" wrote in message m...
Some a/c names won't work consistently no matter what you say....

"Maule 1234Foxtrot blah blah..."

Baltimore Approach always managed to get our Navion identified as a Navajo.
I never understood this until it was pointed out to me that the approach controllers
just shorthand in a single letter for aircraft types on VFR popups. C for Cessna,
P for piper....

Old April 4th 04, 06:29 AM
Ray Andraka

A Cherokee Six is another that always evokes ATC woes. I've been called a
Warrior, Lance, Saratoga, Piper, and Cherokee. The only one that is not a PA-32
is the warrior, but there is a big speed variation between a Six and a Lance or
retractable Saratoga.

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, "Maule Driver" said:
Sometimes it would be easier to call myself a Skyhawk.

If it's a high wing, call yourself a Cessna. If it's a low wing, call
yourself a Cherokee.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The Write Many, Read Never drive. For those people that don't know

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old April 4th 04, 01:49 PM
Dan Thompson

Not that big a speed variation, in the overall range that ATC is used to
seeing. When I had a Saratoga I just called myself "Cherokee" and never had
a problem. Now that I fly a Seneca, about half the time ATC hears "Cessna",
so sometimes I just say "Piper".

Old April 4th 04, 02:57 PM
Dan Luke

"Maule Driver" wrote:
Some a/c names won't work consistently no matter what you say....

Like "Cutlass." I've given up using that name for checking in, as it
appears 90% of controllers have no clue what a Cutlass is. I've been
answered as "Douglas," "Cutler(?)," "Cardinal," etc. The fact that some
military flights use Cutlass as part of their call signs adds to the
confusion, so now I just say "Cessna.".
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 5th 04, 04:42 PM
Ron Natalie

"jsmith" wrote in message ...
Try using "North American".

Mine's a Ryan.

Of course, the FAA thinks it's made by Rockwell.

Old April 6th 04, 10:31 PM
Gig Giacona

"Newps" wrote in message

Every facility has their own procedures for tagging up the VFR targets.
We use C for Cessna and P for Piper too but we also use CK for
Cherokee TC for twin Cessna, CQ for Conquest, CT for Citation, NJ for
Navajo, NV for Navion. We have about 25 different ones for VFR use.

We use up to four alphanumeric characters, the only proviso being the

first
one must be a letter. Examples; a Cessna 172 would be C172, a Piper
Comanche would be a PA24, a Beech Bonanza would be a BE35, a Stinson

Reliant
would be a RELI. See the pattern?

How is an experimental listed?