Say Altitude.

Old April 6th 04, 12:09 AM
Bob Gardner

I think the whole WAAS thing is in flux. The AIM gets wordier and more
difficult to interpret with each change to its discussion of GPS. IMHO,
until there are a whole lot of WAAS capable boxes flying in the system we
will be flailing about in the dark.

Did you see the change to the AIM with regard to a reversed W on approach
plates? Doesn't create much confidence in the system.

Bob Gardner

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
You're right. AIM 1-1-20(a)(8) tells us that we should not use GPS

altitude.
When WAAS is in common use this will probably change.

The altitude error is part of the WGS-84 model and is not a WAAS issue any
longer. The CNX-80 provides VNAV capability through the use of pressure
altitude from a transponder source and the pilot's baro correction input;
married to a partial TAWS data base. GPS/WAAS is not likely to become an
acceptable substitute for pressure altitude. Larger airplanes use air

data
derived pressure altitude in conjunction with GPS for improved RNP
capability.

Old April 6th 04, 01:46 AM
Hankal

You're right. AIM 1-1-20(a)(8) tells us that we should not use GPS altitude.
When WAAS is in common use this will probably change.

I was not using the GPS for altitude. Always use the altimeter
The altimeter was showing 7000.
ATC was showing 6700
Gps was 7060. However when I changed altitude the gps stayed frozen at 7060.
Hank
Old April 6th 04, 02:11 AM
William W. Plummer

"Hankal" wrote in message
You're right. AIM 1-1-20(a)(8) tells us that we should not use GPS

altitude.
When WAAS is in common use this will probably change.

I was not using the GPS for altitude. Always use the altimeter
The altimeter was showing 7000.
ATC was showing 6700
Gps was 7060. However when I changed altitude the gps stayed frozen at

7060.

Aren't controllers supposed to tell you to turn off your altimeter and go to
VFR when an error that big is detected?

Old April 6th 04, 02:19 AM
Ron Natalie

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message news:ctncc.82738
I was not using the GPS for altitude. Always use the altimeter
The altimeter was showing 7000.
ATC was showing 6700
Gps was 7060. However when I changed altitude the gps stayed frozen at

7060.

Aren't controllers supposed to tell you to turn off your altimeter and go to
VFR when an error that big is detected?

They can tell you to stop altitude squawk if they want. They have no business to
tell you to "go VFR"

Old April 6th 04, 02:53 AM
Tarver Engineering

I think the whole WAAS thing is in flux. The AIM gets wordier and more
difficult to interpret with each change to its discussion of GPS. IMHO,
until there are a whole lot of WAAS capable boxes flying in the system we
will be flailing about in the dark.

I believe that VDL will be more of a factor moving forward than WAAS will
be. FAA has spent a lot of money on space based WAAS while being in
posession of a lot of underused VHF bandwidth.

Old April 6th 04, 01:37 PM
Rich

I've never been told to turn off my altimeter!

Rich

Old April 6th 04, 02:28 PM

Bob Gardner wrote:

I think the whole WAAS thing is in flux. The AIM gets wordier and more
difficult to interpret with each change to its discussion of GPS. IMHO,
until there are a whole lot of WAAS capable boxes flying in the system we
will be flailing about in the dark.

You're right on. And, in an effort to sell LPV (WAAS) minimums, the friendlies
"tweaked" the VNAV missed approach criteria so that VNAV minimums will increase,
all to make WAAS look better.

Old April 6th 04, 02:29 PM

Ron Natalie wrote:

They can tell you to stop altitude squawk if they want. They have no business to
tell you to "go VFR"

When was the last time you had a controller ask you to turn off your altimeter? ;-)

Old April 6th 04, 02:29 PM

Rich wrote:

I've never been told to turn off my altimeter!

I would if I could only find the switch.

Old April 6th 04, 03:14 PM
Hankal

Aren't controllers supposed to tell you to turn off your altimeter and go to
VFR when an error that big is detected?

The controller requested I turn off mode C.
In 25 miles he asked to turn back on.
Everything went fine from there on.
I could not have accepted VFR since I was in IMC condition.