Say Altitude.

Old April 6th 04, 04:12 PM
Ron Natalie

"Rich" wrote in message ...
I've never been told to turn off my altimeter!

I've not even got an altimeter off switch. I guess I'll just have to smash the front
of the instrument.

Old April 6th 04, 04:16 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...

Ron Natalie wrote:

They can tell you to stop altitude squawk if they want. They have no business to
tell you to "go VFR"

When was the last time you had a controller ask you to turn off your altimeter? ;-)

I didn't repeat that error. I did have them tell me to stop altitude squawk. After three
weeks on the ground at VKX due to 9/11 hysteria, they let us flush out of there. We
got checked over by the local PG County cops and then given special void time clearances
out of there. As I broke ground I realized something was seriously wrong (static system
plugged). Fortunately, it was severe clear. I called ATC and asked what the mode C
was reporting (just for jollies), they said 100 feet. Told them that was in error but I really
didn't know where I was but figured about 2000'. After they verified I was in no danger
of crashing, they just told me stop altitude squawk and procede on course.

The only fun was figuring out how to tell when I was below 87 knots so I could drop the
gear (did a quick calculation with the GPS groundspeed and the AWOS winds which were
fortunately 10 knots right down the runway).

Old April 6th 04, 04:27 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote in message ...

Bob Gardner wrote:

I think the whole WAAS thing is in flux. The AIM gets wordier and more
difficult to interpret with each change to its discussion of GPS. IMHO,
until there are a whole lot of WAAS capable boxes flying in the system

we
will be flailing about in the dark.

You're right on. And, in an effort to sell LPV (WAAS) minimums, the

friendlies
"tweaked" the VNAV missed approach criteria so that VNAV minimums will

increase,
all to make WAAS look better.

Just like selective availability.

Old April 6th 04, 04:51 PM
Peter R.

William W. Plummer ) wrote:

Aren't controllers supposed to tell you to turn off your altimeter
and go to VFR when an error that big is detected?

Mode C is not always mandatory when flying IFR, at least in the US's
Northeast.

Last spring, I was returning from the AOPA Fly-In when I discovered I had a
mode C problem with my altimeter. The weather leaving Frederick, Maryland
(US) that day was low IFR, a really crappy day for a fly-in.

Upon calling for my clearance, I mentioned to the CD controller that I
suspected my mode C would not be functional. He had me wait while he
contacted others (perhaps the center controllers?). A moment later he gave
me the clearance and stated that I would be responsible for calling out my
altitude throughout the flight.

I then departed and as I was told, the departure controller had me call in
with my altitude every few thousand feet while climbing. From that point
on, I would receive a periodic "Cessna XXX, verify level at 9,000 feet"
call. I was impressed with the service.

--
Peter

Old April 7th 04, 09:43 PM
J Haggerty

It may well have been due to the cold temperatures. See the table at
this link;
http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/Chap7/...ml#TBL%207-2-3

Your GPS may have had a correct altitude, and your barometric altitude
or mode C may have been reading a different altitude due to the cold air
temperature.

JPH

Hankal wrote:
Long CX IFR at 7000
Controller comes on "say Altitude" My response "7000" He says you show 300
feet lower and gives me the altimer reading. I confirm. He says "turn off you
mod C"
I comply.Look at my GPS which is at 7060.
I go down 50 feet the gps stays at 7060. I go up 100 feet the gps stays at
7060.
The controller comes back and says" I think this is due to a cold front in my
flight area.
15 miles further my GPS altitude goes to 7000. I queery ATC to turn on my mod
C. He concurs my altitude at 7000.
Request lower for decend for landing. The gps works fine now, ATC is happy.

HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER EXPERINCED THIS?

Old April 8th 04, 12:45 AM
Hankal

Your GPS may have had a correct altitude, and your barometric altitude

But why did it freeze up for the next 15 miles. I was not near the Bermuda
triangle