Why I'll never build a kit plane.]

Old July 24th 03, 05:40 PM
nafod40

Jim Willson wrote:

I know all too well that aviation is risky.big snip It is as if the
thrill becomes an addiction.

My other hobby, which really I spend more time on, is rock climbing. I
read and post to rec.climbing often, and the issue of risk/benefit comes
up all the time. The final conclusion about risk/benefit most climbers
end up making is "Why ask why?" The sport is ultimately meaningless.
Trying to quantify the metric of benefit of the thrill of conquering the
odds is like trying to measure some kind of units of love. Ain't going
to happen. Just is. The key is to at least make informed decisions,
without deluding yourself with some false sense of safety.

To quote the famous former Texas gubernatorial candidate, just "lay back
and enjoy it".

I flew on aircraft carriers for 11 years (minus time on shore
billets) and had 1500 hrs and over 300 traps.

15 years, 1900 hours, 300+ traps in E-2s and other. What'd you fly?
Old July 24th 03, 06:29 PM
Jim Willson

nafod40 wrote:

Jim Willson wrote:

15 years, 1900 hours, 300+ traps in E-2s and other. What'd you fly?

Hoovers

Old July 24th 03, 06:32 PM
wmbjk

"Jim Willson" wrote in message

With this reply, I'll finish "Trolling".

You claim that you have good intentions. Could be. But you're self
righteous and judgmental. Perhaps you could form a club of like-minded
individuals. Members might follow each other around administering a boot
in the ass anytime one of you takes any action that another decides is a
demonstration that family is not being put first. I'm thinking you all
might be pretty busy discouraging extra helpings, skiing, or taking a
shower without wearing a safety harness. Might even be able to get
sponsorship from one of the temperfoam companies.

Wayne

Old July 24th 03, 07:56 PM
Barnyard BOb --

What I can't understand is why you just didn't simply post a question to the
effect of: Why does recreation aviation have the least benefit to at risk
ratio? And open up an honest discussion starting with the first two
paragraphs you posted below -- which were quite well written I might add.
At least that would have established your credibility to some degree.
Instead you chose to post a judgmental, at least in my eyes, commentary on a
fellow aviators recent death and his supposed relationship with his family
and then -- very troll-like-- waited for the fallout. I just don't know
what kind response you expected to get after doing something like that.
Certainly not an objective and balanced one. Had you done it differently, I
think you would have had not a single hostile response and much more
constructive dialogue.

gpa

Some folks just gotta' preach, gpa!
[Don't ax me how I know.] ;-)

It is presumptive, arrogant, obnoxious, etcetera to stick one's
nose, uninvited, into the inner sanctum of another's most private
and personal world. Usually, the offense is not complete until the
perpetrator sticks his odious two cents in on a religious plane to
punctuate his self serving righteousness.

Barnyard BOb - beware of do-gooders

Old July 24th 03, 08:03 PM
OldCop

I believe, No Apparent Fear of Death 40, that the basketball coach of Texas
Tech made that statement while coaching at IU and was speaking about being
raped. One of many statements I think he later regreted.

Here all this time I thought you all climbed those thing cause they were
there, silly me!

Round ball and Football Fan

OldCop

Old July 24th 03, 08:49 PM
nafod40

OldCop wrote:

I believe, No Apparent Fear of Death 40, that the basketball coach of
Texas Tech made that statement while coaching at IU and was speaking
about being raped. One of many statements I think he later regreted.

That's a big negatory, old doughnut muncher. Clayton Williams lost to Ann
Richards (of "silver foot in his mouth" fame) on the strength of such
quotes. Read it and weep out loud

http://www.mindlesscrap.com/quotes/political.htm

Your Texas Tech coach probably regretted not making the statement, at least
no making it first.

Old July 24th 03, 11:29 PM
Whunicut

Yep, and my old Chief would have kicked your butt for calling his SHIP a boat!!
)
Don`t you know BOATS are carried aboard SHIPS, Boot? lol.
Things change, language changes and life goes on.
1940`s Navy was far different from today`s. Imagine, round recip engines! And a
straight deck, no less. If your hook missed all cross deck pendants, you hit
the barriers!
No airconditioning! How on earth did we survive? heh

If I wanted to use carrier lingo, I would have said, "The Boat."

R/
Jim

Old July 24th 03, 11:39 PM
Whunicut

Quite right, John. Deploying onboard the (fill in the name) sounds right.

Sorry you had trouble finding the "terlit" aboard ship.

You could have done as the Japanese did and hung over the fantail! lol

Regards,
Warren
Always enjoy your posts!

I never could find a 'toilet' on a carrier. Before some s***t a*s
(theres a bunch in this group) comes along, doesn't mean I'm full of
s**t either even though some of my postings may seem like it at times

Old July 25th 03, 03:32 AM
rb

I flew on aircraft carriers for 11 years (minus time on shore billets)
and had 1500 hrs and over 300 traps. Please don't lecture me on
aviation safety.

Well, you ARE basically telling people to give up on this before they start,
then your rebuttal is a "been there done that" M.O. Furthermore, after you
bitch over the dangers as one of the reasons you're not going to do it, you
tell people not to lecture you about safety. You sir are a complete idiot
whom I doubt has any such flight time. There is more to aviation than
actually flying, alot of it is about spirit, something you don't have or
lost somewhere along the way. There are people who are willing to accept
the risks of flying, and there are people that aren't willing to do that.
Put yourself in the second category and find another board to troll, I doubt
your tactics are going to discourage anyone here.

"Jim Willson" wrote in message

Bill Chernoff wrote:

Live is to be lived, not skipped because of safety issues.

Go watch TV with your kids, Jim. Its safe, and you'll be spending
quality time with them.

I flew on aircraft carriers for 11 years (minus time on shore billets)
and had 1500 hrs and over 300 traps. Please don't lecture me on
aviation safety. But after spending years chasing after a sense of
accomplishment, a name for myself, and living life to its fullest, I
learned the meaning of a fulfilled life. It's the smile, the hug, the
hand in hand, the talking about what interests them under a tree or
reading a book to them. What's a TV?

Careful, you're doing the same thing you're accusing me of doing.
Stereotyping.

R/
Jim

Old July 25th 03, 03:35 AM
rb

God, what a drama queen. Get off the stage please.
"Jim Willson" wrote in message news:3f1fe922$1@ham...
Thanks.