Heart trouble

Old July 13th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Heart trouble

On 2007-07-13 10:32:29 -0700, Larry Dighera said:

Sorry to hear it.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:36:28 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote in
2007071307362816807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom:

It came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all.

What prompted the EKG last December?

I had pneumonia and, because I had been in the Philippines for an
extended period, the doctor wanted to make sure I had not picked up
some strange tropical illness and that the coughing was not caused by a
heart problem.

So I guess lawyers prompted the EKG last December. :-)
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 13th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-07-13 12:25:22 -0700, "Hilton" said:

How do you know if you have a-fib? i.e. how did you know to go to the doc?
Do you feel faint, or a vibration in your chest?

Just curious.

Hilton

I had, of all things, an earache. So I went in to see if my ear was
infected. It was not -- just impacted ear wax, but the nurse took my
pulse and the next thing I knew I was getting an EKG.

Old July 13th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ken Finney

On 2007-07-13 12:25:22 -0700, "Hilton" said:

How do you know if you have a-fib? i.e. how did you know to go to the
doc?
Do you feel faint, or a vibration in your chest?

Just curious.

Hilton

I had, of all things, an earache. So I went in to see if my ear was
infected. It was not -- just impacted ear wax, but the nurse took my pulse
and the next thing I knew I was getting an EKG.

Of course. If they didn't, they couldn't charge you, and it takes a lot of
income to cover the lease payment on the machine that goes "Ping!".

;^)

Old July 13th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Hilton

That's pretty funny. After reading your first line, my head went into
overdrive thinking how a-fib's side effects could cause earache.

Hope it all works out CJ.

Hilton

Old July 14th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
RomeoMike

Tina wrote:

etc...The INR test, which is used to measure the effectiveness of the
warfarin, can be be done with a finger stick drop of blood. If your
facility is doing a venipuncture, they are a bit outdated. Find
another anti coag clinic if your place has trouble finding a reliable
vein...etc

Whoa! Where's all this medical advice coming from? Also, it's quite
possible that tests other than an INR were ordered, requiring a
venipuncture as opposed to a finger stick. No point in making the guy
lose confidence in his facility without more reason.

Old July 14th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Montblack

("Tina" wrote)
Re a-fib, very very common. May not screw up your medical, There are meds
that work to control it, but ablation seems like a sure cure for many. If
it's serious you MUST get onto an aggressive anticoagulant, check with
your MD. Coumadin is most often used.

Ablation?

ab·la·tion (a-bla'sh?n) n.

1. Surgical excision or amputation of a body part or tissue.

2. The erosive processes by which a glacier is reduced.

(NAC) Necessary Aviation Content

3. Aerospace:
a.) The dissipation of heat generated by atmospheric friction, especially
in the atmospheric reentry of a spacecraft or missile, by means of a melting
heat shield.
b.) The reduction or removal of heat-protective surface material by
aerodynamic friction, as from a heat shield.

Whatever is wrong with you, good luck Mormie! g

Paul-Mont

Old July 14th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tina

1: INRs would most likely be done every couple of weeks until the
correct dosages are found, and it's a moving target. Most clinics, I
think, will not be following other values, but I could be wrong about
that. Finger sticks are a lot better than getting stuck in a vein.

2. Warfarin is in fact a rat poison, it causes internal bleeding.
That's why the dosages must be carefully controlled. One would not
like to trade a block induced stroke for a bleeding one, would one?
Having said that, it is commonly used and very effective.,

3: Regarding ablation -- look up radio frequency ablation, you'll
discover it's a way of scarring those parts of the heart, or more
often the large vein leading into it, where the electrical impulses
that are triggering the a-fib are starting. Scars don't conduct the
impulses.

Finally, as I said several times, I am not an expert, he can, as can
you, treat this information as he or you chooses. It may lead to some
questions Chris would like to ask his MD.

Or not.

It's up to him.

Old July 14th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Montblack

("C J Campbell" wrote)
Oh good. Rat poison. Maybe I could save a ton of money by a trip out to
the garage...

"Don't forget the rat poison on the way home dear, and remember - you have
another botulinum toxin appointment at 10:00 tomorrow morning."

Paul-Mont

Old July 14th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
RomeoMike

Tina wrote:
1: INRs would most likely be done every couple of weeks until the
correct dosages are found, and it's a moving target. Most clinics, I
think, will not be following other values, but I could be wrong about
that. Finger sticks are a lot better than getting stuck in a vein.

Did you read what I said about the possibility of other tests being
ordered necessitating a larger blood sample?

2. Warfarin is in fact a rat poison, it causes internal bleeding.
That's why the dosages must be carefully controlled. One would not
like to trade a block induced stroke for a bleeding one, would one?
Having said that, it is commonly used and very effective.,

Coumadin and any other blood thinner can cause internal bleeding as well
and need to be monitored.

3: Regarding ablation -- look up radio frequency ablation, you'll
discover it's a way of scarring those parts of the heart, or more
often the large vein leading into it, where the electrical impulses
that are triggering the a-fib are starting. Scars don't conduct the
impulses.

I don't need to look it up.

Finally, as I said several times, I am not an expert, he can, as can
you, treat this information as he or you chooses. It may lead to some
questions Chris would like to ask his MD.

Or not.

It's up to him.

And I'm sure he is smart enough to know that. But you're sounding a
little like MX when he Googles something he's totally ignorant of, then
comes on here
expounding like a real expert. This isn't amateur night on a medical
newsgroup.

Cheers