Dumb & Dumber

Old June 6th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Dumb & Dumber

Same as on most light twins, or the oil heater in your
basement. Fuel is sprayed in a mist, which burns and is
exhausted. The fire is inside a sealed unit and a heat
exchanger transfers the heat to the air which is circulated
into the passenger compartment. Works very well as long as
it hasn't rusted out and the combustion and ventilation air
mix.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Morgans" wrote in message

| "Jay Honeck" wrote
|
| The gasoline heater
| would pump smoky carbon-monoxide directly into the
passenger
| compartment,
|
| Gasoline heater? How does that work? (resist the
temptation to say "not

Old June 6th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote

The gasoline heater
would pump smoky carbon-monoxide directly into the passenger
compartment,

Gasoline heater? How does that work? (resist the temptation to say "not
very well!") g

Do a google search on the Janitrol heater. It's the one which used to leak
carbon monoxide in such quanities that I had the choice of flying with a
blanket or flying with a headache. It drew fuel directly out of the wing tanks
on the PA-23. Many light twins used it... and some not so light: the C-47 had
one too.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old June 7th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote

Do a google search on the Janitrol heater. It's the one which used to
leak carbon monoxide in such quanities that I had the choice of flying
with a blanket or flying with a headache. It drew fuel directly out of
the wing tanks on the PA-23. Many light twins used it... and some not so
light: the C-47 had one too.

I was not aware that VW's ever used janitrol heaters. I know of their use
in aircraft, and all of the problems they can cause.

I'm simply amazed that a car would have one of those "creatures." What ever
happened to VW simplicity? The good old heat muff? Of course, their
problems are well know too, but at least they don't involve flammable
liquids!
--
Jim in NC

Old June 7th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote

Do a google search on the Janitrol heater. It's the one which used to
leak carbon monoxide in such quanities that I had the choice of flying
with a blanket or flying with a headache. It drew fuel directly out of
the wing tanks on the PA-23. Many light twins used it... and some not so
light: the C-47 had one too.

I was not aware that VW's ever used janitrol heaters. I know of their use
in aircraft, and all of the problems they can cause.

I'm simply amazed that a car would have one of those "creatures." What
ever happened to VW simplicity? The good old heat muff? Of course, their
problems are well know too, but at least they don't involve flammable
liquids!
--
Jim in NC

Even the Beetle offered one as an option. The standard heater was a joke.
I spent a couple of winters in the late '60s with a brand new Beetle with
the stock heater and after that I will never own a Volkswagen product. We
used to open the windows in below zero temperatures to warm up.

Old June 7th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote

[...]

You won't buy a VW product today because of the heater design of a car
they designed in the 1930s? Wow...

I guess you don't fly aluminum airplanes either or those powered by a
Lycoming or Continental... :-)

Matt
Old June 7th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Dave Stadt" wrote)
Even the Beetle offered one as an option. The standard heater was a joke.
I spent a couple of winters in the late '60s with a brand new Beetle with
the stock heater and after that I will never own a Volkswagen product. We
used to open the windows in below zero temperatures to warm up.

On your 7 year old "winter beater" in 1978:

Saw-off, where the hot air tube in the engine bay splits (to run warm air
under the OUTSIDE floorboards!!!). Connect a hairdryer type metal hose to
that hot air tube stump. Run it through the rear firewall, up the roofline,
and down behind the rearview mirror. There, warmish air on the dash. A
longer hose will keep your feet toasty - in theory. :-)

I drove my VW Bugs with a 3M mask on and the windows open - until I hit the
Freeway, then I'd close the window (almost) all the way. This was a perfect
way to prevent the windshield from frosting up. Another helpful trick was a
metal school bus fan screwed onto the dash. g

Mittens and snowmobile boots came off in March. Hat came off in April.

Good car in snow! Always started.

Montblack

Old June 7th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

/snip/ Many light twins used it... and some not so light: the C-47 had
one too.

The DC-6 has four: one for the cabin and three for the wings and tail.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old June 7th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave Stadt" wrote

Even the Beetle offered one as an option. The standard heater was a joke.
I spent a couple of winters in the late '60s with a brand new Beetle with
the stock heater and after that I will never own a Volkswagen product. We
used to open the windows in below zero temperatures to warm up.

I owned a 68 Corvair, while I still lived in Northern Ohio, and it had a
heater to die for! The difference is that the Corvair used heat off of the
cooling fins, and it would get so hot, if you left your hand directly in
front of the outlet for more than about 10 seconds, you would scald your
hand!

The problem came with the push-rod O-ring seals. I (with Dad) replaced them
at the start of every winter, then you got no oil on the fins, and thus, no
CO. He made a tool to pull the tubes, and we could get the job done in a
hour or two.

The Beetle I owned was in NC, and the heater was a joke, but at least I
didn't need it very much. The defroster was my big complaint.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 7th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Place I worked was a Beech dealer with the FSDO right across
the street. The feds would rent our airplanes all the time
for training, transportation and currency. When ever they
wrote a squawk, the boss had it in the shop immediately, if
not faster.
One day two feds rented a Duchess and came back with a
squawk, encoder inop.

It was in avionics in about 5 minutes, in ten minutes the
avionics head came into the flight department and reported,
"encoder not installed.

Needless to say, an encoder was installed within the hour.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old June 7th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Dave Stadt" wrote)
[...]

Good in the snow unless you had to turn a corner.