New to group, taking a quick survey...

Old June 17th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default New to group, taking a quick survey...

Brian O wrote:
All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use? Thanks.

http://hallert.net/images/airplaneminiotto.jpg of course. That, or I
just read my paper and listen for my passenger to scream, which means I
need to grab the yoke and pull back until they stop yelling. Don't
even have to look up, the system really works.

Old June 17th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use? Thanks.

I don't use one at all. It makes me feel too much like a passenger.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old June 17th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Brian,

All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use?

You mean the new handheld ones? ;-)

What do you expect as an answer to that question? Renters will say:
"Whatever comes with the plane". Owners will say any one or several of
"What I could afford, what works with my plane, what integrated best
with my systems, what delivered the features I wanted".

So which of these aspects are of interest to you? Which kinds of planes
are of interest to you? What do you REALLY want to know?

The question you pose makes no sense.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

You're right Thomas. I have an ulterior motive. I'm really trying to find
the meaning of life by asking what kind of autopilot folks use. I thought
it was a simple question, but you sir have shown that its a very complicated
issue that maybe the government should get involved with. Thanks for your
enlightenment.

Old June 17th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Brian O wrote:

All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use? Thanks.

What's an autopilot?

MAtt
Old June 17th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Brian O wrote:

All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use? Thanks.

Looks like there are a lot of heros in this group.

I fly a lot of single pilot IFR in the northeast US and my Bonanza is
equipped with an S-TEC 60-2 with altitude hold. I use it often for
straight and level cruise, but then again I am flying at least three times
a week for commuting and charity.

Once in a great while I will use it to fly an instrument approach, but that
is perhaps one out of every thirty approaches or so and only to practice
the correct button sequencing.

The Bonanza has a lot of wiggle in turbulence and I am considering adding a
yaw damper, which would theoretically provide more comfort for passengers.

--
Peter
Old June 17th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Brian,

I'm really trying to find
the meaning of life by asking what kind of autopilot folks use.

That's easy: 42, of course ;-)

I'm sorry if I did not bring it across very well (and possible sounding
annoyed, which I didn't intend to at all), but I'd really like to know
what you're aiming at with that broad a question which IMHO is bound to
deliver results that are not comparable. I just don't understand,
that's all.

FWIW, S-TEC 50.

Oh, and with regard to some of the answers in the thread, it might be
of interest that here in Germany, single-pilot IFR flying is only
allowed in an airplane with an operating two-axis autopilot.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 17th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter,

Looks like there are a lot of heros in this group.

So you noticed, too? ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 17th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Brian O" wrote:

All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use? Thanks.

I'm ashamed to admit that, unlike the many goggles 'n' scarf-wearing,
old-school aviators in this group, I have an S-Tec 50 autopilot. Even
worse, I actually use it.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 17th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:

"Brian O" wrote:

All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use? Thanks.

I'm ashamed to admit that, unlike the many goggles 'n' scarf-wearing,
old-school aviators in this group, I have an S-Tec 50 autopilot. Even
worse, I actually use it.

Oh, the shame... :-)

Matt
Old June 18th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message
Brian O wrote:

All you private pilots, what kind of autopilot do you use? Thanks.

Looks like there are a lot of heros in this group.

I fly a lot of single pilot IFR in the northeast US and my Bonanza is
equipped with an S-TEC 60-2 with altitude hold. I use it often for
straight and level cruise, but then again I am flying at least three times
a week for commuting and charity.

Once in a great while I will use it to fly an instrument approach, but
that
is perhaps one out of every thirty approaches or so and only to practice
the correct button sequencing.

The Bonanza has a lot of wiggle in turbulence and I am considering adding
yaw damper, which would theoretically provide more comfort for passengers.

I shudder to imagine flying a V-tail without a yaw damper.

I have a YD in my KFC-200, but in the straight tail, you hardly notice it.
--
Matt