Which Ultralight to build.....

Old June 7th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default Which Ultralight to build.....

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Wayne Paul" wrote

The Light Sport glider training is very close to the Private Pilot glider
requirements. In addition the LSP 10,000' limitation is a big deal when
flying a glider in the Western US. (I was at about 9,000 when the
following picture was taken. http://tinyurl.com/2hj2fr Very few of the
peaks in the Lost River range are less the 11,000') Very few, if any,
motor gliders have a Vne less then the Light Sport glider 120 kt limit.

Are you not allowed something like 1000 feet AGL, even if it over 10,000
feet?
--

There was a lot of discussion concerning a minimum terrain clearance during
the formulation of Light Sport rule making; however, the FAA stuck to the

By the way, the mountain in the above link is 12,600 feet. When flying in
this type of terrain I like to be as high as possible. (See:
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller.../17900_MSL.jpg,
http://tinyurl.com/yu4oym and http://tinyurl.com/2haboz) The valley floors
in this part of Idaho are between 6 and 7 thousand MSL.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old June 7th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Wayne Paul" wrote

By the way, the mountain in the above link is 12,600 feet. When flying in
this type of terrain I like to be as high as possible. (See:
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller.../17900_MSL.jpg,
http://tinyurl.com/yu4oym and http://tinyurl.com/2haboz) The valley
floors in this part of Idaho are between 6 and 7 thousand MSL.

Beautiful, but foreboding, isn't it?

Was this in the winter? It suddenly occurred to me that these "un-natural"
flying machines have no engine, thus no heat, right? It must get rather
cold up there at nearly 18,000 feet, in the winter, with no heat - or is
there some fuel fired heat of some type?

How cold have you seen it get in the cockpit, and how do you deal with it
being that cold? How about instruments; with that cold, do they continue to
work well, or are there some tricks about that?
--
Jim in NC

Old June 7th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 5, 8:25 pm, "WC" wrote:
"Montblack" wrote in message

("patrick mitchel" wrote)
how bout the flitplane from ed fisher

http://www.digitalmarketingusa.com/flitplane.html
The Flitplane

Looks like a good possibility, especially for a first attempt. What are the
pros and cons?

Searching for plans, various places are selling them (Raceair, Midwest
Engineering..) Who owns the rights?

Do a web search for Santos-Dumond's Demoiselle.

That basic configuration sets a gold standard for
'tried and true'.

--

FF

Old June 7th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Wayne Paul" wrote

By the way, the mountain in the above link is 12,600 feet. When flying
in this type of terrain I like to be as high as possible. (See:
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller.../17900_MSL.jpg,
http://tinyurl.com/yu4oym and http://tinyurl.com/2haboz) The valley
floors in this part of Idaho are between 6 and 7 thousand MSL.

Beautiful, but foreboding, isn't it?

Was this in the winter? It suddenly occurred to me that these
"un-natural" flying machines have no engine, thus no heat, right? It must
get rather cold up there at nearly 18,000 feet, in the winter, with no
heat - or is there some fuel fired heat of some type?

How cold have you seen it get in the cockpit, and how do you deal with it
being that cold? How about instruments; with that cold, do they continue
to work well, or are there some tricks about that?

Jim,

These pictures were all taken during the first two weeks of August. (2003,
2005 or 2006)

Yes it gets cold if you fly in the winter; however, personally I don't fly
between October and March. The large canopy does provide quite a bit of
solar heating which is enough for summer flying. In the fall and spring I
dress like I would if I was going skiing. Heavy boots and socks. (sometimes
I even ware electric warmed socks) shirt, sweater, down coat, gloves, ski
cap, etc. Canopy frosting is a problem if the vents are closed, etc. So
far my 12 amp hr battery has not failed even when the cockpit was sub-zero.
To date I have not had a temperature related instrument/radio problem.
Oxygen is our main concern. Remember, the glider altitude record is a
little over 50,000 MSL.

I am sure this discussion has diverged far from the ultra-lite/homebuilt
charter. However, I will be happy to answer further questions via email.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old June 7th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 7, 3:28 am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:

Oxygen is our main concern. Remember, the glider altitude record is a
little over 50,000 MSL.

Are oxygen and heat sufficient to keep a pilot alive and
cognitively competent at that altitude or is a pressure
suit needed?

--

FF

Old June 7th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 7, 3:28 am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:

Oxygen is our main concern. Remember, the glider altitude record is a
little over 50,000 MSL.

Are oxygen and heat sufficient to keep a pilot alive and
cognitively competent at that altitude or is a pressure
suit needed?

A complete run down of last year's altitude record flight can be found on
the following web page.
http://www.perlanproject.com/ You will find one familiar name.

The simple answer is yes a pressure suit is need. The previous record of
over 49,000 MSL was set without the aid of a pressure suit. Even with a
good pressure breathing oxygen system the pilot suffered significant brain
damage due to the oxygen deprivation.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old June 8th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt

The Kolb FireFly is perfect for what you ask.
Plane has a folding wing system.
http://www.tnkolbaircraft.com/ultralights.html

Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sport_Aircraft/

On Jun 3, 12:44 pm, "WC" wrote:
OK, was planning on building a Texas Parasol (as you've probably seen from
my previous posts) but it's looking like it may not be a very good design
for a legal 103. That being the case, what design to build. I spent a good
part of my life as a mechanic, can weld steel and aluminum (stick, mig,
tig), have access to a machine shop. Below is my wish list.

Legal FAR Part 103 (not going to quibble a few pounds but would like it
close)

Built from plans rather then kit

Short takeoff and landing (under 300 feet)

Prefer a high wing

Ability to trailer (wings remove easily)

Prefer tractors to pushers

Big wheels a plus (for field operations)

I tend to prefer "conventional" looking designs like the N-3 Pup or a J-3
kitten but I can't see how it can be kept near 254 without striping it naked
so I'm starting to think a more form follows function design (keep it simple
and to the point and invest the weight where it is useful rather then on
ascetics). With that in mind I'm looking at designs like the Dream Classic
or the Weedhopper 40 although both of these are kit. How about the Legal
Eagle? One other design I was looking at was the Aero Adventure Aventura UL
(even though its out of my price range). Do you get to take the float
allowance flying boat?

Looking forward to your advice;

WayneC

Old June 8th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Richard Riley wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:50:59 -0700, wrote:

The Kolb FireFly is perfect for what you ask.
Plane has a folding wing system.
http://www.tnkolbaircraft.com/ultralights.html

Except - it's a kit, he wants to build from plans.

The CGS hawk has the same limitation. Both are good planes.

I'm just wrapping up work on a one-off that fits everything he wants,
but a) if plans are made available, it won't be for a couple of years
at least and b) the wings don't fold, it takes a good hour to put them
up or down.

Hey Richard,

Don't tease like that!

Whatcha got?

Richard
Old June 11th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Severance

I am about 90% complete on a Milholland Legal Eagle (www.betterhalfvw.com)
and think it fits you mission profile... Go give it a look...

Old June 11th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Richard Riley wrote:

Hey Richard,

Don't tease like that!

Whatcha got?

Richard

Soon as it goes around the pattern, there'll be a full web page, but
there's a picture on page 5 here

http://www.eaach1.org/wingnuts/2007April.pdf

Designed by Barnaby! Cool.

From that little picture it looks to have a single surface wing,
but the planform??? Or is that just ailerons?

Richard

ultralight seaplane Friedrich Ostertag Piloting 13 September 16th 05 03:37 AM
Sparrowhawk Ultralight [email protected] Soaring 26 June 15th 05 07:22 PM
Ultralight? dlevy Owning 3 September 1st 04 04:27 PM
Ultralight costs Bob Martin Home Built 1 January 1st 04 09:34 PM
RV Quick Build build times... [email protected] Home Built 2 December 17th 03 03:29 AM