Outside our Box

Old August 21st 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Outside our Box

Bill Daniels wrote:
"KevinFinke" wrote in message
Breaking the 400mph barrier is wicked fast for an RC model. Anybody
know what the powered model record is for an airplane? I don't think
the jet models even go this fast. That's amazing!!!

I think the guys flying long distances in mountain wave should take a good
look at this. There might be a sailplane desgined just for this.

Perhaps you are thinking of this one:

DuckHawk Specifications

Wing Span 49.2 FT
Wing Area 80.0 sq FT
Wing Aspect Ratio 30:1
Weight (empty) 300 LBS
Weight (gross) 860 LBS
Manuevering Speed Va 160 KTS
Rough Air Redline 165 KTS
Smooth Air Redline 200 KTS

With a smooth air redline of 200 knots, it could cruise much faster in
strong wave than currently available gliders. I know of of at least one
long distance wave pilot that is very interested in the DuckHawk.

When I visited the factory in June, I was told there were several
orders, and the first one may fly late 2008, but more likely early in
2009. The wing molds were on hand and the center section mockup
(retractable gear, control system with mixer, spar and root
configuration) was essentially complete. The fuselage uses the same mold
as the SparrowHawk, but with very different internal structure and
pre-preg layup. I'm quite interested in the motorglider version, but the
details are tenative and it's farther down the road than the 15 Meter
racing version.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org