a scroll saw - what should I look for?

Old December 15th 03, 06:52 PM
Ken Mattsson

Default a scroll saw - what should I look for?

In this time of gift buying frenzy, having done the compulsory bit of
getting everybody else their presents, I´ve started the annual drooling over
machinery as usual. The object of my wet dreams lately has been a scroll
saw. Now, the only problem (apart from the usual "bite the bullet" bit, in
other word the price) is there are so many different makes and models to
choose from, so I turn to you for some advice.

What should I look for in a scroll saw, what´s important and what´s not so
important? What makes a quality scroll saw? I´d rather dig a little deeper
in my pockets for a machine that will last and do accurate and neat cuts,
than buy something that looks fancy but doesn´t put up with time and is
impractical to use.

So, what are other RAH readers using? What are your likes and dislikes of
what you have?

Looking forward for your opinions!

Cheers, Ken

Old December 15th 03, 08:20 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

Way back when, I bought a scroll saw in the belief that I could cut
aluminum much more precisely than with a band saw. While I could cut
very precisely, metal cutting heated up the blades and they quickly
failed. I gave up and got a bandsaw.

Ed Wischmeyer
Old December 15th 03, 10:21 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Ken Mattsson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've got a Rigid model. It is relatively quiet, has a blower to move the
sawdust from the working area, and allows the blades to be changed very
quickly. A very nice tool.

Sad to say, I rarely use it. It (or maybe the operator) lacks the accuracy
to use for making multiple copies of, say, a wooden wing rib, and it doesn't
cut aluminum that well.

KB

Old December 16th 03, 01:58 PM
Ken Mattsson

I wouldn´t be cutting aluminum sheet with this one (well, only occasionally
perhaps), I can use a bandsaw for this. No, I´m looking for a scroll saw for
doing pattern work on plywood and plain wood. But back to the original
question, what should I look for in a good scroll saw?

Cheers, Ken

Old December 16th 03, 02:56 PM
sean trost

Ken,
I have a dremel variable speed scroll saw that I like very much. Not one
lick of trouble from it and its built like the proverbial brickbuilt
fecal receptical.
Points I would look for in a scroll saw.
1. vaiable speed.
2. blower for clearing sawdust from the cutting area. (gets old huffing
and puffing)
3. table size (bigger is better)
4. blade attachment ( I happen to like the flat blades vs pin blades)
5. balance. some are balenced better than others as a rule. try em till
you like what you feel. (talking the motor arm unit here)
6. table light. (makes it easer to see the pattern)

as I said before I like my dremel variable speed saw. Picked up from a
pawn shop for 25 bucks and has provided great service ever since.

Old December 16th 03, 04:14 PM
Daniel

"Ken Mattsson" wrote ...
What should I look for in a scroll saw, what´s important and what´s not so
important? What makes a quality scroll saw? I´d rather dig a little deeper
in my pockets for a machine that will last and do accurate and neat cuts,
than buy something that looks fancy but doesn´t put up with time and is
impractical to use...

Hi Ken,

Start with arm design. Two choices: "C" arm and parallel arm
movement. The cheaper saws have the blade held in the opening in a
rigid "C" shaped arm. The "C" is pivoted at the back, which results
in the blade then swinging in an arc. Cuts fast, but not accurately &
it will undercut the edges on thicker stuff. A bit more difficult to
make good curves. A parallel arm design has pivots at both ends of
both the upper & lower arms. Think of a parrallelogram, hold one side
still & raise & lower the other (blade) end. If designed with a short
arm movement, you get a nearly vertical motion out of the blade. A
much better cut, especially on anything of thickness, but a little
slower. A short stroke parallel arm saw will show a lot less
vibration too.

Second, I'd want variable speed, for the same reasons you want it on a
drill press or anything else. Different materials & blades require
different speeds.

The third thing I'd look for is a big heavy table, not the cheaper
stamped steel. And I mean HEAVY. Something solid to work from. A
table that you can clamp a fixture too & not be afraid of bending it.
Make sure that it tilts both left and right for bevel cuts.

Then, I'd look at all the little stuff: Chip/dust blower, location of
the tension lever, how easy is it to get blades in & out, etc. And
unless you've got young eyes & bright multi-directional shop lighting,
I'd want either a good built-in light or a place to mount a good
add-on lamp. Lots of tools seem to be showing up with built in lamps
that are about as effective as a nightlight.

Finally, last, after everything else, I'd look at price. There's no
point in letting budget dictate buying a machine that won't work the
way you need it to. If it's too expensive, then save & wait.

If you can justify the cost, I'd certainly take a close look at the
one that DeWalt makes. Model # DW788, about $450. I bought my first
DeWalt tool several years ago & was so impressed that the 4 power
tools I've needed since have all been DeWalt too.

Daniel
Old December 17th 03, 02:46 AM
James R. Freeman

I like the Sears Craftsman parallel arm model. It works great on wood an
will do metal in a bind.