Building chasing airport lights -- Attn: Jim Weir?

Old January 22nd 04, 01:23 AM
Blanche

Jay:

Take back those expensive RS bulbs and everything else. Then find
a store (possibly online) that sells "chaser lights". Any
theatrical shop carries them (but will likely be more expensive)
or the local hardware store.

There are also very expensive versions that you can program to
do whatever you want.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:42 AM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

...... but under the right circumstances these lights have induced seizures
in persons not known to have had epilepsy.

And if that person is a pilot and has to explain things at his next medical, he's
not going to like you very much. How 'bout a simple arrow or sign pointing the
way?

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 22nd 04, 03:13 AM
Jay Honeck

I need to take a ****, everyone! I just thought I would let the whole
world
know.

Well, it couldn't hurt, and it *might* be an improvement.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 22nd 04, 03:17 AM
Jay Honeck

And if that person is a pilot and has to explain things at his next
medical, he's
not going to like you very much. How 'bout a simple arrow or sign pointing

the
way?

Crikey, you guys are like hanging out with my great aunt, when it comes to
fun.

I suppose someone might cut themselves on the P-51 parts in our Mustang
suite, and I'll bet someone else could choke on one of our bagels, too. But
I ain't getting rid of that stuff, either.

I think the chasing lights would look cool! :-) (And I can always turn 'em
off if they get too annoying...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 22nd 04, 03:19 AM
Jay Honeck

Take back those expensive RS bulbs and everything else. Then find
a store (possibly online) that sells "chaser lights". Any
theatrical shop carries them (but will likely be more expensive)
or the local hardware store.

There are also very expensive versions that you can program to
do whatever you want.

Are these 110 volt? Shouldn't I be concerned that they will generate too
much heat up there in the enclosed ceiling? (Not to mention, having the
bulbs sticking through the foam-core tiles?)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Blanche" wrote in message
Jay:

Old January 22nd 04, 06:20 AM
Martin Kosina

"plumbus bobbus" wrote in message news:MbEPb.97212$Rc4.586923@attbi_s54...
Here is my very brilliant idea of the week: why don't you send Jim Weird
(Mr. Fantastic) a private e-mail?
I need to take a ****, everyone! I just thought I would let the whole world
know.

ROTFL! PB can be an obnoxious son of a bitch, but sometimes he hits it
right on, you have to admit. Kind of like Donald Rumsfeld at some of
his press briefings (whom I otherwise truly abhor as a public
official, for the record).

Anyways, no hard feelings, Jay ;-) I for one don't mind the mild
spamming, and don't consider it abusive. Besides, I think Jay posts
here because he loves what he is doing, not for a direct profit
motive. Member galleries like his are very common with IRC groups,
BTW, that's nothing new under the sun. I *am* mildly annoyed at the
occasional cheerleading for our eternally righteous leader, but even
that is within parameters, any time you have a group of real people,
politics will eventually come up. Besides, they are more interesting
to bounce off of people you have something else in common than bunch
of strangers in soc.politics.* who think VOR is a an '80s metal band
;-)

Martin
Old January 22nd 04, 02:43 PM
Greg Burkhart

Hi Jay,

Have you found a solution for your chase lights? Maybe instead of
flashing lights in the ceiling, you should have yellow 'taxi stripe' on the
floor on where you want people to go and the 'X' where they shouldn't.
Scatter around some taxiway signs and give a hotel 'Alexis layout' to your
guests with the hold short bars at the room doors. If done right, it can
look good...

Do you make your guests do a standard pattern to get to the check in
desk??? ;-)

I'll probably get flamed for this idea -- oh well.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Jay Honeck

I'll probably get flamed for this idea -- oh well.

Nope, still no solutions. But I like your ideas!

We've always got to walk the fine line between kitsch and cool. Sometimes
it's hard to discern the line, and women have a completely different concept
of "cool" than men do, especially regarding aviation.

Mary and I actually agree on the chasing lights, which is sort of amazing to
me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 22nd 04, 03:36 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:55:56 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

We've always got to walk the fine line between kitsch and cool. Sometimes
it's hard to discern the line, and women have a completely different concept
of "cool" than men do, especially regarding aviation.

Mary and I actually agree on the chasing lights, which is sort of amazing to
me.

One thing that occurs to me is that you were talking about indoor use of
the lights. The flicker of the lights might be a bit irritating if it's
visible to your lobby or the pilot's lounge. It's always a distraction to
have lights flashing in the corner of your eye. Hooking them up to a
motion detector might be an alternative.

Also, your options for these might be a bit more restrictive if there's any
sort of electrical code you have to abide by. I suspect they're more
stringent on enforcement for a commercial enterprise than a private home.

You might consider a big "ARRIVALS" sign, coupled with the elephant "JUMBO
TURN" sign some airports use.

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 22nd 04, 04:34 PM
Tom Pappano

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'll probably get flamed for this idea -- oh well.

Nope, still no solutions. But I like your ideas!

We've always got to walk the fine line between kitsch and cool. Sometimes
it's hard to discern the line, and women have a completely different concept
of "cool" than men do, especially regarding aviation.

Mary and I actually agree on the chasing lights, which is sort of amazing to
me.

I have a design for exactly what you need!
Making a proper looking "rabbit" can be done with one "chip" (well,
really two). Using a small "mixed signal" microcontroller will
let you:

1. control the overall brightness
2. control the speed the rabbit "runs"
3. control the rate the sequence repeats
4. control the percentage of "on" time for each light

These adjustments should let you find just the effect
that you want. The whole controller would be about 2" X 3".
The whole system would run off a small wall transformer.
I believe the Electrical Code does not prohibit
this type arrangement. If you have an "air-plenum"
ceiling, however, you must use proper cable, such as
"plenum rated" telephone cable.

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA,
obsessive-compulsive embedded applications designer 8-)

ps: I shall consult the AIM to see just how a MRALS
(Medium intensity Resevation desk Approach Lighting System)
should be configured