Simple & Cheap Tricks for your plane

Old February 6th 04, 02:03 PM
EDR

(Probably others have already been doing this, but new for me.)

I have been using two Large/X-Large duffle bags ($15, Eddie Bauer
Outlet) for family travel.
Campmor has large Columbia, wheeled, 6000 ci duffels on sale for $40
($140 retail).
Now that the kids are big enough, I have decided that they can pull
their own weight on trips, as well as the luggage across the ramp,
through the hotel lobby, etc.
Old February 6th 04, 02:58 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "James M. Knox" said:
4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

I wish everyone would make up their minds. I've been thinking about buying
one (wonderful Texas summers and all), as I frequently find myself taxiing
with my hand stuck out the vent window to "scoop" a little air.

Tacky looking? Probably... What was "irritating"?

We've had them on a couple of our club planes. Generally the plane
captains for the planes buy things like that (and the little plastic fins
that go on the strobes so that you can see that they're on). I personally
broke one of them off with my elbow getting into the plane, and the other
plane that has one also had it broken off soon after getting it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Kyoto dealt with Global Warming. Disposing of lawyers cuts down the
Old February 6th 04, 03:01 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Masino wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

That's a silly statement. My plane came with one, 12 years ago, and I
found it irritating and tacky looking. I removed it. You can have it
(as a spare) if you want.

I had to replace the side window after it cracked starting from the rivets
attaching the Kool-Skoop. I won't have another one.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old February 6th 04, 03:03 PM
Jay Honeck

4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

That's a silly statement. My plane came with one, 12 years ago, and I
found it irritating and tacky looking. I removed it. You can have it
(as a spare) if you want.

Sell it on Ebay.

Everyone I know that has one, loves it. It makes taxiing on a hot day MUCH
more bearable.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 03:06 PM
Jay Honeck

That notebook is a good place to record your VOR checks for IFR flight as
well.

Speaking of notebooks, we keep a small, leather-bound notebook (like a small
day-planner size) in the pilot's pocket. In it we record all flight time --
start, finish, destination, who was flying, etc.

It's very handy for determining when oil changes are due, and for
differentiating and recording business flights versus personal flights.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 03:10 PM
Jay Honeck

Now that the kids are big enough, I have decided that they can pull
their own weight on trips, as well as the luggage across the ramp,
through the hotel lobby, etc.

Each of us (2 kids, Mary and me) has our own soft-sided luggage. Mary and
mine are (is?) the luggage that came with our '86 Honda Goldwing. Over the
years, Mary has sewn on patches of all the states we've visited, and
patches from all the EAA conventions we've attended.

In fact, the luggage is now primarily held together BY the patches! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 03:12 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Dave Butler said:
Jay Masino wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

That's a silly statement. My plane came with one, 12 years ago, and I
found it irritating and tacky looking. I removed it. You can have it
(as a spare) if you want.

I had to replace the side window after it cracked starting from the rivets
attaching the Kool-Skoop. I won't have another one.

Rivets? Ours were glued on.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The Borg assimilated my race & all I got was this T-shirt.
Old February 6th 04, 03:17 PM
Jay Honeck

Cool. This is like Heloise meets Sky King!

Another thing we've done for both the planes we've owned: Fix up the log
books.

When we bought our Warrior, the logs and associated paper work were in a
cheesy plastic zipper pouch -- basically a glorified zip lock bag. This
seemed odd to me, for something so valuable, so we bought a soft leather
briefcase, and had a brass plate made for it with the make and "N" number on
it.

When we bought our Pathfinder, the paperwork was a little nicer, but not
much. So, we bought ANOTHER leather briefcase, and had another brass plate
made for it. This time we got the kind of briefcase with a ring-binder in
the center, which is GREAT for holding all the service bulletins, receipts,
etc. that you want to hang on to. Just 3-hole punch them, and pop them in.
All the various log books stow neatly in the many pockets in the briefcase.

Now everything is easily transported to and from our A&P or avionics shop,
and in a suitably classy case.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 03:22 PM
Ray Andraka

Mine was always in the way during flight. When retracted, it is right at chest
height in front of your arm. You also need a spot of velcro on it and on the
window to keep it from swinging out in front of you during the flight. It
doesn't fit well on framed windows, and frankly, you get a bunch more comfort
by popping the door open, at least in a Six. I took mine off after putting up
with it for more than a year.

"James M. Knox" wrote:

(Jay Masino) wrote in news:402386b6$0$25481
@dingus.crosslink.net:

Jay Honeck wrote:
4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

That's a silly statement. My plane came with one, 12 years ago, and I
found it irritating and tacky looking. I removed it. You can have it
(as a spare) if you want.

I wish everyone would make up their minds. I've been thinking about buying
one (wonderful Texas summers and all), as I frequently find myself taxiing
with my hand stuck out the vent window to "scoop" a little air.

Tacky looking? Probably... What was "irritating"?

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721