Simple & Cheap Tricks for your plane

Old February 6th 04, 03:24 PM
Jay Masino

James M. Knox wrote:
Tacky looking? Probably... What was "irritating"?

My elbow/arm kept hitting it.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old February 6th 04, 03:31 PM
Jay Honeck

I had to replace the side window after it cracked starting from the rivets
attaching the Kool-Skoop. I won't have another one.

Rivets? Both of mine have been installed with (extremely strong)
double-backed tape.

I would NEVER drill holes in the side window to install a Kool Scoop.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 03:36 PM
Jay Honeck

Mine was always in the way during flight. When retracted, it is right at
chest
height in front of your arm. You also need a spot of velcro on it and on

the
window to keep it from swinging out in front of you during the flight. It
doesn't fit well on framed windows, and frankly, you get a bunch more

comfort
by popping the door open, at least in a Six. I took mine off after

putting up
with it for more than a year.

Hmm. When mine is retracted, it is behind and at approximately shoulder
height. It was in FRONT of you when retracted?

Mine can't swing open without my input, since I have lean to the right a bit
to swing it into position. The hinge is pretty stiff anyway, (and it is
tension-adjustable with a phillips screw driver) so that shouldn't be a
problem.

I wonder if the storm window on your Six is in a different position
(relative to the pilot) than in my Warrior or my Pathfinder?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 04:13 PM
Dave Butler

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Dave Butler said:

Jay Masino wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

That's a silly statement. My plane came with one, 12 years ago, and I
found it irritating and tacky looking. I removed it. You can have it
(as a spare) if you want.

I had to replace the side window after it cracked starting from the rivets
attaching the Kool-Skoop. I won't have another one.

Rivets? Ours were glued on.

It's been a while, maybe my memory is shot. No, on second thought, I -know- my
memory is shot... but I remember rivets.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old February 6th 04, 04:23 PM
Blanche

I took all the checklists and emergency procedures, printed them
on paper 4 in wide, 5.5 in high. Laminated and GBC bound into
a little book that's 9 x 5.5 Couple rubber bands and it fits
perfectly on one of those black plastic clip boards ($1.50 at a
local office supply store). What makes this so useful, is that
it fits perfectly inside the yoke of my cherokee. I have one of
those broom-handle/big paper clip chart holders that clips to the
tube of the yoke to steady the clip board.

I'll post photos one of these days.

Everything always handy.

As for W&B -- since I don't need to do that while flying, I've
got CoPilot. I've got the Type Cert for my aircraft and compared
the details among the 3 ways (to make sure I have a warm, fuzzy
feeling it's correct).
1) hard-core, hand calculations using the TC, latest W&B and
getting the numbers
2) Excel spreadsheet (with the TC values loaded) that someone (I
forgot who but they are on this newsgroup) created
3) CoPilot

I'm a happy camper with CoPilot. And anytime the official W&B
changes, I print a number of the spreadsheets with various options
and keep them in the folder along with the official W&B, POH,
etc. in the aircraft.

Old February 6th 04, 04:27 PM
Blanche

James M. Knox wrote:
I wish everyone would make up their minds. I've been thinking about buying
one (wonderful Texas summers and all), as I frequently find myself taxiing
with my hand stuck out the vent window to "scoop" a little air.

James:
I've got one for use in the summer (Denver). Absolutely wonderful.
Open the side door and it's fantastic.

Warning -- the adhesive only lasts about a season. Hardware store
for that 3M double sided sticky foam tape.

Old February 6th 04, 04:30 PM
Dale

I made some cheap light wheel-chocks from PVC pipe.

I used about 1.25 OD PVC glued together to make a |__| shape. The
distance between the uprights being enough to slide around the main
tires. They are a little bulky but light. I had them for 8 years and
never had the airplane move. G

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 6th 04, 04:30 PM
Blanche

Saw the ad (Sporty's? Spruce? Somewhere) about the ABS box that holds
oil, spout, tools, etc. $140 or so.

Back to the local hardware or household store. RubberMaid box (with
top) for $10. Holds minimum tools, roll of paper towels, quart of
oil, landing light, gloves, strainer, tie-down ropes. Goes into
the corner of the baggage area.

Old February 6th 04, 04:30 PM
Blanche

Is anyone collecting this list?

Old February 6th 04, 07:20 PM
EDR

In article , Dale
wrote:

I made some cheap light wheel-chocks from PVC pipe.
I used about 1.25 OD PVC glued together to make a |__| shape. The
distance between the uprights being enough to slide around the main
tires. They are a little bulky but light. I had them for 8 years and
never had the airplane move. G

Custom sized for the aircraft's tires, with/with-out wheel covers.