I Want My Own Bird

Old October 18th 04, 01:07 PM
Jay Honeck

The TSA stuff. Non US-citizens having to be photographed,
fingerprinted, forms filled in, $130 paid, records kept, all by each
instructor you go to for a BFR (probably) or checkout (maybe).
The instructor has had to go through mandatory "security
awareness" training in order to do all this

Interesting.

I'd be willing to bet that none of the instructors here in Iowa City know
anything about any of that stuff -- and there are a fair number of foreign
pilots training here, thanks to the University of Iowa.

Or, at least, I've never heard any of them talk about -- and you would think
it would be a major topic of discussion.

I'll have to check with them when I next see them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 18th 04, 01:31 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The TSA stuff. Non US-citizens having to be photographed,
fingerprinted, forms filled in, $130 paid, records kept, all by each
instructor you go to for a BFR (probably) or checkout (maybe).
The instructor has had to go through mandatory "security
awareness" training in order to do all this

Interesting.

I'd be willing to bet that none of the instructors here in Iowa City know
anything about any of that stuff -- and there are a fair number of foreign
pilots training here, thanks to the University of Iowa.

Or, at least, I've never heard any of them talk about -- and you would

think
it would be a major topic of discussion.

I'll have to check with them when I next see them.

Thanks, would be interested to hear what they've been told.

There are quite a few threads on this on rec.aviation.piloting...for
instance:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=....microsoft.com
(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?L24162E89 )

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...mb-m01.aol.com
(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y45121E89 )

It's not only people from overseas that are affected, it's also US residents
who aren't citizens.

Paul

Old October 18th 04, 02:25 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Phil Boyer spoke at our annual MAAC (Mid Atlantic Aviation Coalition, a New
Jersey aviation PAC) annual dinner Friday night. He said that AOPA is
desparately trying to get this stopped or at least delayed before it takes
effect on Wednesday. What they are hoping to do is at least get the
requirement reduced to a one-time proof of citizenship examination for US
citizens, with a logbook entry or other permanent documentation, and
something similar (i.e. less onerous than what is currently in the new
regulation) for resident aliens. Unfortunately, I suspect that it will
still be made difficult for non-resident aliens to get flight training here
without some pretty difficult hurdles to jump over.

When I lived in the UK in the 70's, my wife and I had to go in person and
register with the police as aliens every year for seven years, that was
pretty straightforward, but still a bit of a pain.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...&lr=&selm=4151
c8d9%241%40news.microsoft.com
(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?L24162E89 )

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...0.02861.000000
34%40mb-m01.aol.com
(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y45121E89 )

It's not only people from overseas that are affected, it's also US

residents
who aren't citizens.

Paul

FS - Bird 43 Wattmeter element for Aviation repair Lou Aviation Marketplace 0 March 15th 04 01:27 AM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 01:47 PM
Tying down the bird david whitley Owning 17 September 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM
Finally got to fly my new bird Jay Honeck Owning 35 August 23rd 03 05:01 AM