Cellphone use

Old November 29th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pittss1c

Default Cellphone use

I know there are regs against cellphone usage in aircraft.
I was wondering... has anyone ever known someone to get busted?
If so... what happened to them?

Mike
Old November 29th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

pittss1c writes:

I know there are regs against cellphone usage in aircraft.

Note that that are FCC regulations, not FAA regulations. The FCC is
considering lifting them under intense commercial pressure to allow
cellphone use aloft, even though most air travellers are apparently
opposed to the idea of lifting the ban.

One study found that an average of four cellphone calls are made from
aircraft per flight these days, despite the ban.

The FAA allows airlines and pilots (of GA aircraft) to ban the use of
electronic devices that may interfere with the safety of the flight,
but it doesn't specifically forbid or allow individual items, with a
handful of exceptions. It's up to the operator or pilot to decide.
Airlines and aircrews often have no clue as to which devices are truly
dangerous or safe and seem to rely on superstition to a large extent.
I've always found it odd that cellphones seem to scare them less than
laptops and GPS receivers, even though cellphones are among the rare
electronic devices that actually produce RF energy in quantity.

I was wondering... has anyone ever known someone to get busted?
If so... what happened to them?

I've never heard of it. If someone did get in trouble, it would be an
FCC violation, not an FAA violation.

Old November 29th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("pittss1c" wrote)
I know there are regs against cellphone usage in aircraft.
I was wondering... has anyone ever known someone to get busted?
If so... what happened to them?

They're taken up to 8,000 ft and ..."dropped".

As with their Runway Incursions Project (R.I.P.) the goal here, of the FAA,
is the "fewest" dropped callers.

Montblack

Old November 29th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It is an FCC rule because cellphone tower are designed to
pick up a limited number of calls and at altitude the towers
are over-loaded.

Old November 29th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"pittss1c" wrote in message
|I know there are regs against cellphone usage in aircraft.
| I was wondering... has anyone ever known someone to get
busted?
| If so... what happened to them?
|
| Mike

Except, of course, that very few people have cell phones anymore (at least,
as defined by the regulations that prohibit "cell phones" in the air).

Just because you are used to calling the thingy a cell phone doesn't make it
a cell phone.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old November 30th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com writes:

Except, of course, that very few people have cell phones anymore (at least,
as defined by the regulations that prohibit "cell phones" in the air).

What kind of phones do they have?

The most common portable telephone system in the world is GSM, and
it's a cellular system.

Old November 30th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
peter

Mxsmanic wrote:
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com writes:

Except, of course, that very few people have cell phones anymore (at least,
as defined by the regulations that prohibit "cell phones" in the air).

What kind of phones do they have?

The FCC distinguishes between the regulations that govern the original
cellular band around 800 MHz and the newer PCS band near 1900 MHz.
Most sections of the regulations look identical for operation in these
two regions of the RF spectrum, but the prohibition on airborne use is
absent from the newer PCS regulation. So use of a "cellular" phone
using the PCS band while in a private plane should be ok, but you may
encounter reception problems for various technical reasons (the base
station antennas are optimized for coverage near the ground and are
concentrated along highways and urban areas). But many current phones
will automatically switch to the original cellular band if no carrier
is found on the PCS bands - and that would violate the FCC rules.

The most common portable telephone system in the world is GSM, and
it's a cellular system.

GSM is a particular technology that can be used in either the cellular
or PCS bands, and the frequencies differ a bit in other countries
(Europe uses 900 MHz and 1800 MHz). Other technologies used for "cell"
phones include CDMA, TDMA, and the older analog AMPS. All are
"cellular" in the sense of dividing an area into multiple cells and
reusing the available bandwidth to increase the number of calls that
can be carried. But the rules differ depending on the frequency being
used and the country where the service is offered.

Old November 30th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Ok peter, I have Cingular and want to amplify my single in my house what amp
to I need.

Thanks
"peter" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old November 30th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts

It is an FCC rule because cellphone tower are designed to
pick up a limited number of calls and at altitude the towers
are over-loaded.

I don't understand this.
Consider that many new headsets actually have a cellphone interface.

and consider that here in Canada it is not illegal, and I use mine lots
- plugged right into my headset.
I don't understand how it could be legal here if it really did overload
towers. So what is the REAL reason?

Hmmmm . . . the plot thickens

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old November 30th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

tony roberts wrote in news:indiacharlieecho-
15CF69.22341329122006@shawnews:

It is an FCC rule because cellphone tower are designed to
pick up a limited number of calls and at altitude the towers
are over-loaded.

I don't understand this.
Consider that many new headsets actually have a cellphone interface.

and consider that here in Canada it is not illegal, and I use mine lots
- plugged right into my headset.
I don't understand how it could be legal here if it really did overload
towers. So what is the REAL reason?

Cell phones would not be restricted according to the FAA in VFR conditions,
or in IFR if the electronic device was determined not to cause
interference.

I haven't seen it myself, but I was told that there was a "MythBusters"
episode where the guys demonstrated that certain cell phones interfere with
the ILS, causing the needle to deflect at least 50' to one side of the
runway.

For a very long time, I believed that the real reason that the airlines
made you turn off your cell phones and electronic devices on takeoff and
landing was because they wanted your undivided attention while they show
you how to buckle your seatbelt and pull the rip cord on your life vest.
But I could also see where if it is truly interfering with ILS equipment it
would need to be off on final...

"§ 91.21 Portable electronic devices.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the
operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-
registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate
or an operating certificate; or

(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft
has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or
communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier
operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination
required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator
of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case
of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or
other operator of the aircraft."