New Plane Owner

Old March 14th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cary

Default New Plane Owner

It has been a while since I posted and viewed the rec.aviation groups.
I sold my 1958 C310 nearly 3 years ago and have been waiting for my
new plane to arrive. I am now the "proud" owner of a DA42 (Diamond
Twin Star) and I have a total of 6 hours in this plane. While I am
still learning what the Garmin G1000 can do, I have found that the
plane is a dream to fly (but maybe I am prejudiced). After I have more
time in it I will be happy to post my experience. So far I can say the
plane is too easy to land. The trailing link gear seems to absorb
miscalculations better than my C310 and far better than the SR22 I
have been flying the last year.

Cary

Old March 14th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 14, 1:13 pm, "Cary" wrote:
It has been a while since I posted and viewed the rec.aviation groups.
I sold my 1958 C310 nearly 3 years ago and have been waiting for my
new plane to arrive. I am now the "proud" owner of a DA42 (Diamond
Twin Star) and I have a total of 6 hours in this plane. While I am
still learning what the Garmin G1000 can do, I have found that the
plane is a dream to fly (but maybe I am prejudiced). After I have more
time in it I will be happy to post my experience. So far I can say the
plane is too easy to land. The trailing link gear seems to absorb
miscalculations better than my C310 and far better than the SR22 I
have been flying the last year.

Cary

You'll like the G1000. Its a nice system to fly and really not much
different than having a 430 after you get used to it. I have seen some
bugs, but Garmin puts out patches.

-Robert

Old March 15th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Cary wrote:
It has been a while since I posted and viewed the rec.aviation groups.
I sold my 1958 C310 nearly 3 years ago and have been waiting for my
new plane to arrive. I am now the "proud" owner of a DA42 (Diamond
Twin Star) and I have a total of 6 hours in this plane. While I am
still learning what the Garmin G1000 can do, I have found that the
plane is a dream to fly (but maybe I am prejudiced). After I have more
time in it I will be happy to post my experience. So far I can say the
plane is too easy to land. The trailing link gear seems to absorb
miscalculations better than my C310 and far better than the SR22 I
have been flying the last year.

Cary

The Twin Star is nice but but seems like an expensive way fly at 165Kts.
I think I'll stick to my Comanche. :^o
Old March 15th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Yes, but does your Comanche sip 7 gph while doing 165 kts?
Old March 15th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Nathan Young

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:43:53 -0400, john smith wrote:

Yes, but does your Comanche sip 7 gph while doing 165 kts?

I think the TwinStar is a cool plane, and a great introduction of new
technology to GA, but the fuel flow vs cruise numbers have been wildly
exaggerated in the press.

I found the DA42 flight manual online. http://tinyurl.com/2htuhp

If I am interpreting the cruise speed diagram correctly (pg 224 of the
pdf), the DA42 can barely reach 165kts TAS... Only at 14000 feet
pressure altitude, ISA + 30deg, and 80% power.

The fuel flow (pg 204 of the pdf) at 80% power is 6.25 US Gallons per
hour per engine, for a total of 12.5 gph.

The twinstar can do 130kts @ 7gph @ 12k feet.

Very impressive numbers for a twin, but not nearly the amazing numbers
that have been thrown about in various magazine articles.

-Nathan

Old March 15th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Ch. Eigler

Yes, but does your Comanche sip 7 gph while doing 165 kts?

Yes, but ... there are many other ways to compare. It sips fuel
compared to other twins - but what is the payback period for the
difference in fuel consumption versus the airplane price? OTOH it has
a warranty and parts should be easier to find than an old GA bird.
OTOH ... and so on and so on.

In any case, it's nice to enlarge the fleet.

- FChE
Old March 16th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cary

On Mar 15, 12:05 pm, (Frank Ch. Eigler) wrote:
Yes, but does your Comanche sip 7 gph while doing 165 kts?

Yes, but ... there are many other ways to compare. It sips fuel
compared to other twins - but what is the payback period for the
difference in fuel consumption versus the airplane price? OTOH it has
a warranty and parts should be easier to find than an old GA bird.
OTOH ... and so on and so on.

In any case, it's nice to enlarge the fleet.

- FChE

Frank, I agree. I ws putting in $15K to 20K in annuals with my 310
every year, and parts were more and more difficult to get. Also,
insurance was very diffiult to get (only 1 or 2 companies would
insure). While buying a new plane is expensive there are the other
advantages. Also, this plane cost me $100,000 less than the current
retail price.

Old March 16th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
The twinstar can do 130kts @ 7gph @ 12k feet.

Holy $hit Batman! That IS amazing for a twin.

For comparison, a 172K will only do 107 kts @ 7.4 gph @ 5000 ft. and...
a 152 would do 100 kts @ 5.0gph @ 12,000 (if
you had the patience to actually climb that high)

new plane owner wanting to reduce costs right away... [email protected] Owning 6 May 19th 06 11:46 PM
new plane owner wanting to reduce costs right away... BigGuy Piloting 14 May 18th 06 08:51 PM
new owner questions kmuller909 Owning 24 March 31st 05 01:03 PM
I am an aircraft owner Nathan D. Olmscheid Owning 4 August 4th 04 10:33 AM
signing off <51% owner built plane Bob Home Built 1 September 22nd 03 07:10 PM