Steve Witman inverted motor

Old January 4th 04, 07:56 AM
Roland M

Default Steve Witman inverted motor

Looking people who have inverted motors and would like to talk about
it.
Why there is a group of diesel enthusiast"" 100 members"" who want to
fly diesel planes using production diesels.

Due to weight conciderations and need,no redrive.
VW/Citroen-Peugoet/Daihatsu-Toyota all have all have all aluminium
motors that weigh less than 220lbs and can produce over 100 hp.

Not everybody lives in America with cheap fuel "" do not go there! due
to other goverments high goverment taxes)

Questions what problems did you have and would you do it
again/cost/touble shooting.

Diesel group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chas11nz

more info
http://www.geocities.com/plane_diesel/

flying diesel plane
http://membres.lycos.fr/dieselis/
production diesel plane
http://www.dac-ranger.nl/

Thanks everyone in advance Roland
Old January 4th 04, 01:23 PM
Larry Smith

"Roland M" wrote in message
om...
Looking people who have inverted motors and would like to talk about
it.

That engine is not the easiest to find. It was a lightweight aluminum V-8
installed in Buicks and Oldsmobiles during the seventies. It turned the
prop at crankshaft speed, had high compression, and put Steve Wittman into
the bushes a couple of times. The last I paid any attention to the engine
it had been sold by GM to Rover and was being used in Land Rovers.

A man adapted a similar engine to his Beachner Special and flew it for
several hundred hours, but not inverted, until it killed him.

Old January 4th 04, 06:58 PM
Del Rawlins

On 04 Jan 2004 04:23 AM, Larry Smith posted the following:

"Roland M" wrote in message
om...
Looking people who have inverted motors and would like to talk about
it.

That engine is not the easiest to find. It was a lightweight
aluminum V-8 installed in Buicks and Oldsmobiles during the seventies.
It turned the prop at crankshaft speed, had high compression, and put
Steve Wittman into the bushes a couple of times. The last I paid any
attention to the engine it had been sold by GM to Rover and was being
used in Land Rovers.

A man adapted a similar engine to his Beachner Special and flew it for
several hundred hours, but not inverted, until it killed him.

There is a fellow in Canada who is flying a Bearhawk with the rover V-8
in an upright configuration through a PSRU. He actually mmanaged to fit
it inside the standard aircraft engine type cowling. Here are some
pictures:

http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/flown/c-gzsy.html

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old January 5th 04, 04:42 AM
Peter Dohm

I don't know of anyone using them, but some of the 3.8 to 4.3 liter 90 degree V6
engines look attractive for the inverted direct drive application. They should
produce between 130 and 150 horsepower at around 3200 rpm; and should be easier
to maintain than the _nearly_ antique Buick/Olds engine that Witman used. I
also believe that they are nearly the same weight.

I am also hoping for some of the same user information on the inverted direct
drive scheme, as I would consider one myself--if I ever get to that point.

I did not know that the diesels were now that light! It makes them attractive,
especially with all of the difficulties in finding a reliable supply of unleaded
fuel to make the automotive FADEC systems function reliably.

Peter

Old January 6th 04, 08:50 PM
Wright1902Glider

HUH... well I hope you have better luck with the 90-degree GM V-6 in a plane
than I've had with it in a car.
Old January 7th 04, 03:57 AM
Morgans

"Wright1902Glider" wrote in message
HUH... well I hope you have better luck with the 90-degree GM V-6 in a

plane
than I've had with it in a car.

What problem have you had? I have owned three of them, and found them to be
reliable and nearly bullet proof.
--
Jim in NC