Airplanes & Sewer Clamps

Old October 31st 03, 11:49 PM
Veeduber

Default Airplanes & Sewer Clamps

To All:

I recently mentioned laminating the bow of a rudder using 'sewer clamps.'
(See: 'Whittle Your Own Airplane.')

Standard stuff if you're building a wooden airplane. Wooden strips, eighth
inch thick, slathered with glue, bent around some nails or form-blocks
protected by waxed paper, clamped together and to the form blocks.

SOP for making the curvey bits. Wing tips. Elevator. Rudder. Turtle deck
bows. Lotsa curvey bits on a wooden airplane which is why making such bows is
common stuff.

Including the use of sewer clamps, which are nothing more than a 10' length of
4" diameter plastic soil pipe sliced into pieces three-quarters of an inch
wide. After the slicing comes the slitting then cleaning off the furze. You
end up with a ring of tough plastic, slit at some point so you can pry it open,
clamp it onto things.

Bandaw is the weapon of choice. Takes mebbe half an hour to make yourself
about 150 clamps. Like a politician, sewer pipe clamps are cheap, easy and
common :-)

But obviously not as common as I thought. I've since received half a dozen
queries wanting to know whathell a sewer clamp is.

Nowyahno :-)

Sewer clamps come in several sizes & flavors. Little ones, you make outta PVC
water pipe, use them for making little stuff like ribs. Big ones you make
outta BIG pipe, ABS, PVC or even fiberglas. You can even make yourself a pair
of Sewer Clamp Pliers, allowing you to open and set the clamp with one hand.

Need more pressure? Slice it thicker. Need more reach? Find a bigger pipe.

Building on the Cheap, you can't just throw money at a probelm, you have to
outwit that sucker. Sewer pipe clamps are a nice example of outwitability :-)

-R.S.Hoover
Old November 1st 03, 01:25 AM
Jerry Wass

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html

pVeeduber wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITETo All:
pI recently mentioned laminating the bow of a rudder using 'sewer clamps.'
br(See: 'Whittle Your Own Airplane.')
pStandard stuff if you're building a wooden airplane.  Wooden strips,
eighth
brinch thick, slathered with glue, bent around some nails or form-blocks
brprotected by waxed paper, clamped together and to the form blocks.
pSOP for making the curvey bits.  Wing tips.  Elevator.
Rudder.  Turtle deck
brbows.  Lotsa curvey bits on a wooden airplane which is why making
such bows is
brcommon stuff.
pIncluding the use of sewer clamps, which are nothing more than a 10'
length of
br4" diameter plastic soil pipe sliced into pieces three-quarters of
an inch
brwide. After the slicing comes the slitting then cleaning off the furze.
You
brend up with a ring of tough plastic, slit at some point so you can
pry it open,
brclamp it onto things.
pBandaw is the weapon of choice.  Takes mebbe half an hour to make
yourself
brabout 150 clamps.  Like a politician, sewer pipe clamps are cheap,
easy and
brcommon :-)
pBut obviously not as common as I thought.  I've since received
half a dozen
brqueries wanting to know whathell a sewer clamp is.
pNowyahno :-)
pSewer clamps come in several sizes & flavors.  Little ones,
you make outta PVC
brwater pipe, use them for making little stuff like ribs.  Big ones
you make
broutta BIG pipe, ABS, PVC or even fiberglas.  You can even make
yourself a pair
brof Sewer Clamp Pliers, allowing you to open and set the clamp with
one hand.
pNeed more pressure?  Slice it thicker.  Need more reach?
Find a bigger pipe.
pBuilding on the Cheap, you can't just throw money at a probelm, you
have to
broutwit that sucker.  Sewer pipe clamps are a nice example of outwitability
:-)
p-R.S.Hoover/blockquote

pbrYou can slice up a spring  with a mototool grinder & make
em too---gits into small places
br /html

Old November 1st 03, 04:22 AM
AlwaysLearning

Old boatbuilder trick. Been there, done that, really works!

Used to be a bunch of boatbuilding sites with pictures of the entire
process, but doing a cursory search of my favorites, these guys have
abandoned their web-sites and probably are too busy building or
sailing to accomodate pictures of the process.

Try it, you'll like it!

Drew
Old November 1st 03, 04:34 PM
FIyer111

Building on the Cheap, you can't just throw money at a probelm, you have to
outwit that sucker. Sewer pipe clamps are a nice example of outwitability
:-)

Great idea! I am always looking for the "poor man's way" of solving problems.

Old November 2nd 03, 06:36 AM
Ryan Young

(Veeduber) wrote in message ...
To All:

I recently mentioned laminating the bow of a rudder using 'sewer clamps.'
(See: 'Whittle Your Own Airplane.')

For those who need pictures to understand things:
http://www.hanalima.com/tooltips_pvcclamp.shtml

Bob, gonna tell us more about the Sewer Clamp Pliers? I can picture
what such a tool might be like, but you've done it, so, tell.

I've also seen these clamps with two dowels stuck in holes about 160
and 200 degrees away from the slit; squeze the dowels together to open
the clamp.