Cessna 172 upkeep

Old February 10th 05, 06:14 PM
redman

Default Cessna 172 upkeep

I am currently taking flying lessons to get my private license. I've
been thinking about buying a 172 sometime after I get my license.
Looking for some input on a ballpark amount of the annual upkeep.
How much does an annual cost? How much does the 100 hr. inspection
cost? I realize that if something is broken it needs to be fixed, but
right now just wanting to find out how much I will be looking for to
spending if nothing is broken.

Old February 10th 05, 07:03 PM
Scott D

On 10 Feb 2005 10:14:02 -0800, "redman" wrote:

I am currently taking flying lessons to get my private license. I've
been thinking about buying a 172 sometime after I get my license.
Looking for some input on a ballpark amount of the annual upkeep.
How much does an annual cost? How much does the 100 hr. inspection
cost? I realize that if something is broken it needs to be fixed, but
right now just wanting to find out how much I will be looking for to
spending if nothing is broken.

Its hard to even put a ballpark figure on an annual. There are so
many variables that can change the figure. I have seen on a worse
case scenario of over 14K for an annual when rust was discovered and a
best case scenario of around 800.00 when only small things were found.
But as far as an 100hr inspection, you would not be required to have
one done unless you plan on leasing it back to a flight school or plan
on using it for some other commercial purpose, but if you just use it
for yourself, then it is not a required item.

Scott D
Old February 10th 05, 07:25 PM

very difficult to answer. I have owned my 172-H for almost 7 years,
and had annuals from $1400 to $5600 . . . averaging about $3000.

There are just too many variables to give you an intelligent answer . .
..

Buying an airplane is a huge crap shoot. Do you feel lucky?

The joy of ownership so vastly outweighs the economic consequences that
I honestly don't even think about the costs very often. I can't
imagine life without an airplane now. Am I spoiled rotten or what?
:-)

Old February 10th 05, 07:37 PM

On 10-Feb-2005, "redman" wrote:

Looking for some input on a ballpark amount of the annual upkeep.
How much does an annual cost? How much does the 100 hr. inspection
cost? I realize that if something is broken it needs to be fixed, but
right now just wanting to find out how much I will be looking for to
spending if nothing is broken.

It's not much help to contemplate how much maintenance will cost "if nothing
is broken" because things are bound to break, or at least wear out. The
only way to avoid such expenses (for at least a certain period of time) is
to buy a new plane with a warranty.

That said, a "no problem found" annual on a 172 (extremely rare) will
probably run around $500 - $600. If you are interested and have the time,
you might find a mechanic that will allow you to assist, primarily by doing
tasks that do not require skill, such as removing and replacing seats and
inspection panels, etc. That may save a couple hundred bucks off the cost
of the basic annual inspection. On an ongoing basis, doing some of the
regular maintenance yourself, particularly oil changes, could save quite a
bit of money. The tasks that you can legally perform as owner/operator are
listed in the FARs.

If the plane is operated under Part 91 (i.e. not in commercial use) then 100
hr inspections are not required.

As a "ballpark" estimate, I think figuring on an AVERAGE maintenance budget
of $1500 to $2500 would be reasonable for a 25 year old C-172 in good
general condition and flown 150 hours/year. This would include the annual
and both periodic and unanticipated maintenance, including avionics, but not
engine overhaul. It would also not include painting or interior upgrades.
Of course, any individual's experience may vary wildly.

If these numbers, or the potential for even higher costs, scare you, then
you might want to consider a co-ownership (partnership) arrangement.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old February 10th 05, 09:07 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"redman" wrote in message
ups.com...

How much does an annual cost?

If you're in a high-cost area and you don't do an owner-assist, you're
probably looking at 2-3k in a normal year with 4-5k very possible. Two small
items cost us $2200 on our 1979 172N annual last year (paperwork problems on
a Precise Flight standby vacuum and some rash on trailing edge of the
elevator) at a Cadillac shop (Keyson Airways, ASH). Year before was about 4k
too, bunch of little crap that just kept adding up.

I realize that if something is broken it needs to be fixed, but
right now just wanting to find out how much I will be looking for to
spending if nothing is broken.

If you buy a typical 60s or 70s vintage Skyhawk, things will always be in
the process of breaking. Don't like that? Buy new. This year we had two
ignition leads (read: a wire) go bad and replacing the harness cost $700.
Oil changes will cost anywhere from $50-$300 depending on how you do them
and whether you do it or pay a mechanic.

My feeling with a Skyhawk is that you should be prepared to spend $5000 at
the drop of a hat if necessary every couple years. If you buy carefully you
probably won't need it, but if that number scares you, get a partner or
stick to renting.

People ask me how expensive flying is, I tell them "more expensive than
skiing, but cheaper than polo." You'll spend money on nothing but fuel and
oil for 10 months and then one day something will crack that Cessna charges
$500 for and takes the mechanic six hours to get to. Them's the breaks.

Anyhow, if you do buy, a Skyhawk is about the best plane you can buy,
stupid-simple in the best sense of the phrase. If I had it to do over again
I'd look for one with the Penn Yan 180HP conversion for just a little more
speed and climb, but the one I have is still my favorite because she's
*mine*. When the bank account looks a little better I'll probably look to
step up to a 182 or maybe a Mooney so I can go places but you'll never go
wrong with a 172.

-cwk.

Old February 10th 05, 09:16 PM
Robbie S.

.....SNIP....

I have seen on a worse
case scenario of over 14K for an annual when rust was discovered ......

Do they discover corrosion/rust in an annual inspection ? It may not be an
airworthiness issue, but how is it handled..... is the A&P required to do
something about rust/corrosion......

Thanks.

....Roobie.

Old February 10th 05, 09:46 PM
Jay Honeck

Its hard to even put a ballpark figure on an annual. There are so
many variables that can change the figure. I have seen on a worse
case scenario of over 14K for an annual when rust was discovered and a
best case scenario of around 800.00 when only small things were found.

My personal worst: $5000.

My personal best: $675.

Needless to say, it varies from shop to shop, plane to plane, and with
experience -- both yours and your A&P's with your plane.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 05, 09:46 PM
Jay Honeck

Am I spoiled rotten or what?
:-)

Yep!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 05, 10:11 PM

Colin W Kingsbury wrote:
: How much does an annual cost?

That's the largest "it depends" there really is. Best case scenario if
*NOTHING* is broken/worn is a few hundred if you get your hands dirty and the mechanic
watches and does paperwork. Since things are always broken/worn, it's more. Many
time *a lot* more. It's a gamble. I don't think of it as "how much does an annual
cost," but rather, "what needs to be fixed now." You either need to pay now or later,
and the latter generall costs more since things going bad can break other things.
The big trick is to make sure you don't buy a plane that someone else decided to "fix
later."

: Anyhow, if you do buy, a Skyhawk is about the best plane you can buy,
: stupid-simple in the best sense of the phrase. If I had it to do over again
: I'd look for one with the Penn Yan 180HP conversion for just a little more
: speed and climb, but the one I have is still my favorite because she's
: *mine*. When the bank account looks a little better I'll probably look to
: step up to a 182 or maybe a Mooney so I can go places but you'll never go
: wrong with a 172.

At the risk of starting a flamewar, not to knock anyone's personal choices (I
learned in a 172), but a PA-28-140 is an undervalued plane by comparison. A 172 is
overvalued (since everyone learned in them that's what they wanted to buy). To each
their own, but since buying a plane is such a huge investment in time and money,
choosing the model shouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction. To each their own, and YMMV...

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old February 10th 05, 10:27 PM
Jon Kraus

I second the opinion on the Mooney... :-) But, our Mooney is costing
us arount $500.00 a month in unanticipated maintenance... Funny, the
previous owner failed to tell us that he was skimping on some of the
squawks!! Anyway our first anual is in April and I full expect it to be
in the 4-5000 range. That way if it comes in less it will seem like I'm
money ahead!! Airplanes.... ya just gotta love 'em...

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Mooney 201 4443H