FAA medical question

Old March 5th 05, 07:42 PM
G. Sylvester

Default FAA medical question

I took my student pilot cert 3 years ago. Last month I renewed it.
The doctor sends the form into the FAA, right? How long does it take
to show up in the FAA (online) databases? I'm not really concerned
when the FAA paper work catches up as I do have the paper certificate
in hand. I'm just wondering if there is anything I have to do or if
I can get screwed somehow if all the paper processing takes too long.

BTW, I asked a while ago about the difference between class 2 and class
3. Basically nothing. I forgot what it was...maybe eyesight. I got
the class 2 for the hell of it. Turns out I even surprised the nurse
who said I was reading the 20/10 perfectly and fast one eye at a time.
I guess my vision is still good at the old age of 32. I wonder
how I would have done if I didn't have a few pints of Guinness for
breakfast along with my Wheaties. Breakfast of champions. ;-)

Gerald Sylvester

Old March 5th 05, 09:22 PM
BTIZ

Paper in hand is all you need.

I'm not sure about time lags for medical certificates to be updated to the
web, but pilot certificates are taking about 90 days.

Paper in hand is all you need.

Are you still flying as a student? but now with a Class II?

BT

m...

Old March 5th 05, 10:24 PM
G. Sylvester

Paper in hand is all you need.

that's what I figured.

Are you still flying as a student? but now with a Class II?

I got my PPL on 12/17/03 now a IA student soon to finish up.
I was actually more lightly concerned that somehow the FAA will
find a way to say I wasn't medically cleared since it wasn't in their
system. thanks for the info.

I got the Class II as it was the same price and when the Class II
privedges expire, it defaults to class III.

Gerald Sylvester
Old March 6th 05, 01:33 PM
Jay Honeck

Paper in hand is all you need.

While technically true, it's good to make sure your paperwork has gone
through.

I had a terrible experience a few years ago, when I jumped onto the pilot's
database, and for some reason typed in my own name...

....and came up blank! I found that I was no longer in the FAA's list of
active pilots, and I hadn't requested to be removed.

Why? Well, it took a while to figure it out, but my doctor had failed to
mail in his portion of the three-part medical form to Oklahoma City. Sure,
I had the paper in my wallet, but the FAA knew nothing about it.

Go to www.landings.com once in a while over the next few months, and type
your name into the pilot database. If the date on your medical updates,
you'll know that all is well.

If you disappear, well, call your doctor!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 05, 03:29 PM
BTIZ

...and came up blank! I found that I was no longer in the FAA's list of
active pilots, and I hadn't requested to be removed.

Why? Well, it took a while to figure it out, but my doctor had failed to
mail in his portion of the three-part medical form to Oklahoma City.
Sure, I had the paper in my wallet, but the FAA knew nothing about it.

Interesting.. I have found many ratings for people on the FAA Data base with
medicals last issued in the 1970s and 1980s,... also.. how do you account
for all those pilots with valid ratings who do not hold a medical... glider
pilots or CFIs who do not act as PIC do not require a current medical.

I use http://registry.faa.gov/amquery.asp

BT

Old March 6th 05, 07:50 PM
Blueskies

"BTIZ" wrote in message news:MlFWd.55199$Tt.34499@fed1read05...

I use http://registry.faa.gov/amquery.asp

BT

Get an error there...is it down?

Old March 7th 05, 01:01 AM
BTIZ

Try the base and then select the airman inquiry page

but it just worked for me

BT

Old March 7th 05, 05:10 AM
Morgans

"BTIZ" wrote

Interesting.. I have found many ratings for people on the FAA Data base

with
medicals last issued in the 1970s and 1980s,...

I'm not sure why you find that as hard to understand. Wouldn't you think
that is people who earn a certificate, and then lose interest, or personal
issues get in the way?

My sister, who is now a doctor, took flying while at OSU, and got her
ticket, but never flew more than a couple dozen times. One of those times
was taking our family up, one at a time in a 152. That was my first ride in
a small plane. She seemed very competent. After that, medical school got
in the way, then she didn't place a priority on getting current again.
Myself, I don't understand!
--
Jim in NC

Old March 7th 05, 05:44 AM
BTIZ

"Morgans" wrote in message

"BTIZ" wrote

Interesting.. I have found many ratings for people on the FAA Data base

with
medicals last issued in the 1970s and 1980s,...

I'm not sure why you find that as hard to understand. Wouldn't you think
that is people who earn a certificate, and then lose interest, or personal
issues get in the way?

My sister, who is now a doctor, took flying while at OSU, and got her
ticket, but never flew more than a couple dozen times. One of those times
was taking our family up, one at a time in a 152. That was my first ride
in
a small plane. She seemed very competent. After that, medical school got
in the way, then she didn't place a priority on getting current again.
Myself, I don't understand!
--
Jim in NC

Jim... you missed the original post.. the observation was that a pilot
certificate was not listed believing it was because the medical had
expired... what I was saying.. is that is not the case.

My brother also got his ticket.. because I did.. and then he decided that
racing SCCA was more to his interest.

BT

Old March 7th 05, 11:02 AM
Cub Driver

I'm not in the Landings database, either. Nor is any pilot with my
name. So I assume the database is wrong.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com