OSH oil filter special vs internet

Old August 11th 05, 09:27 PM
Jim Burns

Default OSH oil filter special vs internet

Several people at OSH had told me about the $1.00 rebate offer that Champion
had when you bought oil filters from Wag Aero. At the time WA's price was
$16.85. I pondered the math on this and decided against carting around a
case of oil filters and knew I was getting nearly as good of a deal through
the internet site I'd used several months before.

I finally looked up the invoice and here are the numbers.

48110-1 at Wag Aero OSH $16.85 plus tax = $17.78 minus $1.00 from the
Champion booth = $16.78
no case or quantity discount

http://www.airsuppliers.com/aircraft...R_AIRCRAFT.asp

48110-1 at airsuppliers.com $15.30 plus freight. Last time I ordered they
averaged just over $17 each delivered.

I just wanted to make the group aware of the site. This is the cheapest
that I've found filters online.

Jim

Old August 11th 05, 10:35 PM
Jon Kraus

Actually Jim, aircraftspruce.com ends up being a tad bit cheaper than
airsuppliers.com. I checked out both and even though the oil filters at
airsuppliers are $1.65 cheaper than aircraftspruce, after you add
shipping and handling the total ends up being more. Plus airsuppliers
has some goofy-ass $10.00 charge if you don't spend over $50.00, so if
you spend under $50 airsuppliers is quite a bit more expensive.

No I don't work for aircraftspruce, but I have found that they sell
products at a reasonable price (if airplane parts can ever be
reasonable) and their service is good.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Old August 11th 05, 11:12 PM
Jim Burns

Really? I just ran an order on airsuppliers for 6 filters and it came to
$17.36 each, includeing shipping and handleing. Spruce's price before
shipping and handleing is $17.25.

I buy a lot of stuff with Spruce, even got the pleasure of meeting Jim at
OSH. He sold me a few things but wouldn't give me a discount on a case of
oil filters either.
Jim

.. .

Old August 12th 05, 12:00 AM
Jon Kraus

Maybe your filters are different than mine.. I get Champion CH48103-1
for my IO360. and they are 16.95 plus shipping. I bought 3 last time and
the total was $55.65 to my door. Not much cheaper than airsuppliers
but a little...

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Jim Burns wrote:

Really? I just ran an order on airsuppliers for 6 filters and it came to
$17.36 each, includeing shipping and handleing. Spruce's price before
shipping and handleing is $17.25.

I buy a lot of stuff with Spruce, even got the pleasure of meeting Jim at
OSH. He sold me a few things but wouldn't give me a discount on a case of
oil filters either.
Jim

.. .

Old August 12th 05, 12:23 AM
Jon Kraus

That's right, you have that manly twin... I have a sissy Mooney.. ;-)

JK

Jim Burns wrote:

Ahh... yep, that would be the difference.
Jim

. ..

Jim Burns wrote:

Really? I just ran an order on airsuppliers for 6 filters and it came

$17.36 each, includeing shipping and handleing. Spruce's price before
shipping and handleing is $17.25.

I buy a lot of stuff with Spruce, even got the pleasure of meeting Jim

at

OSH. He sold me a few things but wouldn't give me a discount on a case

of

oil filters either.
Jim

m...

Old August 12th 05, 01:13 AM
Jon Kraus

I guess the really important part is not what plane you own, rather that
you make sure you spend every single extra dollar you have on them!!

Sometimes I just can't believe how much these things cost to keep going.
Then I hurry and ram the bill in the drawer before the wife spots it.

Like now, I am waiting for Tim Matheson to call and tell me he has our
S-Tec30 installed and it is ready to pick up. I can't wait!! I think a
Garmin 396 is next on the list... Yeeee Haaaa!! :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Jim Burns wrote:
Think of it more as 360 vs 540. I looked at Mooney's, Executive F's and
early J models, long and hard before realizing that I really wanted and
needed something bigger. I still drool over them when one shows up on the
ramp.
Jim

. ..

Jim Burns wrote:

Ahh... yep, that would be the difference.
Jim

om...

Jim Burns wrote:

Really? I just ran an order on airsuppliers for 6 filters and it came

$17.36 each, includeing shipping and handleing. Spruce's price before
shipping and handleing is $17.25.

I buy a lot of stuff with Spruce, even got the pleasure of meeting Jim

at

OSH. He sold me a few things but wouldn't give me a discount on a case

of

oil filters either.
Jim

. com...

Old August 12th 05, 01:50 PM
Jim Burns

"Jon Kraus"
I guess the really important part is not what plane you own, rather that
you make sure you spend every single extra dollar you have on them!!

Now THAT is a quote worth keeping and repeating!!

I just got done doing our books for the month of July. We flew 24 hours
during the month. Each of us pay our individual wet costs plus put into a
group reserve for "disasters", such as engines. All other bills are split
equally.

Annual Inspection & Maint. $2400
New Windshield $510
New Side Windows $850
Insurance $4195
Prop repair $1455
Elect. Fuel Pump Repair $59
Misc A&P Labor & Sign offs $150
Window trim plastic refurbish $25
Digital OAT $130
Hanger Rent $200

Grin while you're flying it, bare it when you're not, but love every minute
of it!

Jim

Old August 12th 05, 02:07 PM

Jim Burns wrote:
: 48110-1 at Wag Aero OSH $16.85 plus tax = $17.78 minus $1.00 from the

Is it just me that doesn't like the smaller "improved" 48110-1 filter? Seems
to me that more filter material is better. I've actually switched to the Kelly PMA'd
for that reason.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *