King Survey

Old August 12th 05, 02:08 AM
Mike Granby

Default King Survey

I just completed a survey from the Bendix-King pilot's club wherein I
was asked about my interested in two hypothetical products -- an
integrated 5" WAAS GPG and NAVCOM with traffic, terrain and weather,
and a 3" standalone WAAS GPS with traffic terrain and weather. Looks
like they've still not quite made up their mind about how to package
their new WAAS engine -- I'm obviously voting for the 3" standalone to
replace my KLN-94!!!

Old August 12th 05, 02:47 PM
Jim Burns

Hey Mike,
I questioned 2 different Honeywell-Bendix-King reps at OSH and basically
they wouldn't tell me much, but I was able to squeeze a few things out of
them.

They acknowledged that they have a product in the works that should come out
in the next 18 to 24 months. It's based on the new Honeywell APEX WAAS GPS
engine. The GPS board is done and ready to go, they are just trying to
figure out how to market it to the non-EFIS customer.

They reconfirmed that they would have a KLN94 upgrade program, and that the
new panel mount would fit into the KLN94 tray, so it looks like they will
produce the 3" size and are questioning the demand for a 5" model. When I
pressed them on the Com/Nav addition to the GPS, they laughed and acted like
I knew something that I shouldn't. My comeback was that they were behind
Garmin, and everybody wondered if Honeywell/Bendix/King was going to support
the non-APEX user, afterall, they sure wouldn't have much demand for APEX
with us fellows that own a 30+ year old plane. They got more serious and
said absolutely and that one of the options that they are looking into for
the new panel mount was adding the traditional Com/Nav, similar to Garmin's
units.

I asked them if we would have to rebuild our entire panels if we purchased
the larger 5" version and they said no, the size profile would be the same
as a KLN94 stacked on top of a KX155. So my response was "then the 5"
version would absolutely have the traditional Com/Nav but that the 3" may
not". They both agreed.

That was about all I could get out of them. But it looks like the 3" is a
go, and the 5" is a maybe. They both commented that the Honeywell people
are a lot more ambitious than the Bendix people were.

Jim

oups.com...

Old August 12th 05, 03:15 PM
Mike Granby

I asked them if we would have to rebuild our entire panels if
we purchased the larger 5" version and they said no, the size
profile would be the same as a KLN94 stacked on top of a
KX155. So my response was "then the 5" version would
absolutely have the traditional Com/Nav but that the 3" may
not". They both agreed.

Excellent!

But it looks like the 3" is a go, and the 5" is a maybe.

Excellent, again!

Old August 12th 05, 04:03 PM
Dan Luke

"Jim Burns" wrote:

They reconfirmed that they would have a KLN94 upgrade program, and that the
new panel mount would fit into the KLN94 tray, so it looks like they will
produce the 3" size and are questioning the demand for a 5" model. When I
pressed them on the Com/Nav addition to the GPS, they laughed and acted
like
I knew something that I shouldn't. My comeback was that they were behind
Garmin, and everybody wondered if Honeywell/Bendix/King was going to
support
the non-APEX user, afterall, they sure wouldn't have much demand for APEX
with us fellows that own a 30+ year old plane. They got more serious and
said absolutely and that one of the options that they are looking into for
the new panel mount was adding the traditional Com/Nav, similar to Garmin's
units.

They are nuts if they don't make their new WAAS boxes integrated
GPS/NAV/COMM. They would beat anything Garmin's got if the new products also
did satellite weather.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 12th 05, 05:04 PM
Jim Burns

I imagine that they are contemplateing the demand knowing that a 430/480
type box would require the KLN94 owners to buy a new tray with com and nav
antenna connections, plus extra work by an avionics shop. Not saying that a
new 3" box wouldn't require more than a direct swap such as the 89B to 94,
but it will be interesting to watch this develop. I hope they don't drop
the ball and price it beyond reality. I for one would favor a 3"
non-nav/com direct swap for the KLN94, and a 5" GPS/Nav/Com version, both
with upgradeability to traffic (no doubt requireing a new transponder) and
XM weather (no doubt requireing another upgrade box).
Jim

Old August 12th 05, 07:59 PM
Jim Burns

Mike, did they call or email you? I just dropped them a note to say that
I'd be interested in putting my 2 cents down on paper for them if they just
tell me where. I'm also a member of their Pilot Club but haven't heard
anything about the survey.

Old August 12th 05, 08:37 PM
Jim Burns

I've got a contact email at Honeywell/Bendix-King if anybody would like to
participate in the King survey, email me and I will pass on the contact
info. You can contact them directly to participate in the survey.

Jim

Old August 12th 05, 11:29 PM
Mike Granby

I got an email as part of their Pilots' Club.

Re the question of pricing, they were saying ~$5-6K for the 3"