Last Call - Any Yoke changers out there?

Old August 12th 05, 02:10 AM
Mike Spera

Default Last Call - Any Yoke changers out there?

Still trying to find out if anyone has removed the old bowtie yokes from
their shafts and replaced them with ram's horns. Lots of folks changed
out the yoke/shafts as units, but nobody will fess up that they actually
swapped out the yokes themselves.

Since Piper lists the yoke/shaft as one part number, there probably is
no approved method of separating them.

Looks like I will return the ram's horns with bent shafts I bought from
the boneyard. If you cannot demate/remate them from/with the shafts,
they are useless.

Thanks,
Mike
Old August 12th 05, 02:50 PM
tom418

Mike, it's been around 37 years since I flew a Cherokee with the "Bow Tie"
yokes you described, but, I vaguely remember that the shafts on the B.T.
type yokes had a smaller diameter than those of the "Ram's Horn" variety.

This could explain why they might not be interchangeable?
ink.net...

Old August 12th 05, 03:16 PM
nobody

Mike,

I was really hoping you'd get an answer to this. I have
a 1964 Piper Aztec that I'd like to do the same thing
with, but when I looked at doing this before, it was just
too expensive.

Ronnie

ink.net...

Old August 12th 05, 08:38 PM
John Kunkel

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...
Still trying to find out if anyone has removed the old bowtie yokes from
their shafts and replaced them with ram's horns. Lots of folks changed out
the yoke/shafts as units, but nobody will fess up that they actually
swapped out the yokes themselves.

Since Piper lists the yoke/shaft as one part number, there probably is no
approved method of separating them.

Looks like I will return the ram's horns with bent shafts I bought from
the boneyard. If you cannot demate/remate them from/with the shafts, they
are useless.

Since you asked for "confession", I'll speak up. Yes, I did demate the the
large shafts from the ram's horn yokes and install the yokes on my puny
early Cherokee shafts.

The pin that retains the shaft to the ram's horn yokes is driven from the
bottom into a blind hole. With a little precision measuring I determined the
location of the blind end of the pin and drilled a hole in the top of the
yoke which exposed the end of the pin to allow driving it out.

I have a lathe, so I whittled out a couple of fancy looking aircraft quality
aluminum bushings (dimensions long gone from memmory) to adapt the smaller
shafts and repinned them. The hole at the top of the yoke was filled with
plastic aluminum from a tube and sanded to match the contour. My powder
coater assured me that the plastic aluminum filler would survive high temps
of powder coating, there is only a slight, almost imperceptible dimple
caused by shrinkage showing through the powder coat.

Being an A&P, I simply made a log book entry using the Piper conversion kit
number (gasp) since I was pretty sure nobody had ever seen the real Piper
conversion yokes and so far nobody has said a word about it.

Old August 12th 05, 10:08 PM
Jim Burns

Hey Ronnie,
I just looked at Avion's site and it looks like it would only cost us $1200
to do the Aztec! Makes you really wonder if they sell any doesn't it?
Jim

"nobody" wrote in message
.. .
Mike,

I was really hoping you'd get an answer to this. I have
a 1964 Piper Aztec that I'd like to do the same thing
with, but when I looked at doing this before, it was just
too expensive.

Ronnie

ink.net...

Old August 13th 05, 02:33 AM
Mike Spera

What did you use for new pins? Would it not be easier to tap the top and
use an AN bolt instead of a pin? I would not object to a hole at the top.

What does this "Piper conversion kit" do?

Thanks,
Mike

Old August 13th 05, 02:08 PM

: Being an A&P, I simply made a log book entry using the Piper conversion kit
: number (gasp) since I was pretty sure nobody had ever seen the real Piper
: conversion yokes and so far nobody has said a word about it.

Couldn't you simply call this an "owner fabricated part?" Granted, there's a
lot of misinformation on this subject, but the A&P is ultimately responsible for
determining what an "equivalent" part is. IIRC there's no requirement to have
drawings, procedures, etc, etc to replace a factory part... just so long as it is
"equivalent."

Thoughts?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 14th 05, 10:10 PM
Jay Masino

Mike Spera wrote:
SNIP

Mike,

We did my annual this weekend, and my Bowties inspected OK for another
year. I asked my mechanic (a Piper expert) about it, and he said he's
replaced the Bowtie yokes before, so it's definitely possible to remove
that pin and separate the yoke from the shaft. Personally, I like my
Bowties, so I'm probably gonna try and keep them as long as I can.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old August 14th 05, 10:12 PM
Jay Masino

John Kunkel wrote:
Being an A&P, I simply made a log book entry using the Piper conversion kit
number (gasp) since I was pretty sure nobody had ever seen the real Piper
conversion yokes and so far nobody has said a word about it.

That was some great engineering/fabrication, but you've just advertised
the fact that you did it all over the world in a countless number of
archives.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Old August 14th 05, 10:22 PM
John Kunkel

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
John Kunkel wrote:
Being an A&P, I simply made a log book entry using the Piper conversion
kit
number (gasp) since I was pretty sure nobody had ever seen the real Piper
conversion yokes and so far nobody has said a word about it.

That was some great engineering/fabrication, but you've just advertised
the fact that you did it all over the world in a countless number of
archives.

Reamed out by Approach Bob Chilcoat Piloting 26 March 29th 05 12:32 AM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 02:56 PM
CH yoke and peddals? Tlewis95 Simulators 8 December 2nd 03 11:58 AM
CH Product Yoke with IP Trainer 6.5 Sanjay Kumar Instrument Flight Rules 2 October 10th 03 07:47 AM
Who do you call? Travis Marlatte Piloting 4 August 21st 03 08:16 AM