Headsets

Old August 16th 05, 12:38 PM
Thomas Borchert

Tyler,

Buy David Clark. By far the best headsets made and exceptional warranty.

I beg to differ. They ain't called David Clamps for nothing. In other
words: "best" has to be defined by the OP after getting the necessary
information to make that judgement.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 16th 05, 12:38 PM
Thomas Borchert

I've heard students are often advised to steer clear of ANR since it is
advantageous for the student to hear more of the background aircraft
noise (wind, engine etc) during training.

Was this your experience?

Total BS. If anything, you can hear details better with ANR.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 16th 05, 04:33 PM
Paul kgyy

I recently bought the bottom end lightspeeds for rear seat use. I
tried them in the pilot seat and found them amazingly good for non-ANR
headsets.

Old August 16th 05, 11:29 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

My ANR use came after license but I find that I do hear more of the flight
noises (engine, etc.)

Also, not to be minimized is the fatigue from high noise levels. W/ ANR & a
good headset, I can listen for ATC, converse w/ pax, & yes, listen for
unusual noises w/o fatigue.

It's like flying a long cross country w/o an autopilot. Doable but why
would you, if you had a choice? A/P $10-15k. ANR $250+

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

oups.com...

Old August 17th 05, 09:40 AM
Chuck

Sure, I have two of them.

I bought them to serve the occasional back seaters in my Cherokee.
They have soft and comfortable ear seal muffs. There is a volume
control on each side -- nice feature. They seem to attenuate the
noise OK. But I have run into a small problem that I'm not sure is
the headset fault or not.

It seems that the person talking is having problems keeping the
squelch open. I'm not sure if its a cheap microphone in the headset
or just inexperienced users not placing the mic close enough to their
mouth. Hum..., have to test that one of these days by using the
headset myself.

But as one other person did mention, the microphone attaches with a
screwed nutcap. A 8 year old kept playing with the mic back and
forth. Luckily, I found it loose before the nutcap came off. Keep an
eye on that.

For occasional uses, they are good and cheap headsets. At sub $60
each, I was able to get these two for the same cost of anyone else's
single headset.

Chuck
PA28-180

On 14 Aug 2005 23:51:40 -0700, wrote:

Hi

I'm in the market for a headset and have seen new headsets on e-bay
bearing the "Feather Lite" brand.

Does anyone have any experience with these headsets? Any opions as to
quality of build, sound etc.etc. Any relevant info appreciated.

The price is right but I want to be sure they're just junk which will
bust in a couple months.

Given I'm a still student pilot I don't want to spend too much on my
first set and then decide I want something different down the track. I
also don't want to keep using the units provided by my school - damn
cooties...

Cheers
CT

Old August 17th 05, 12:48 PM

: It's like flying a long cross country w/o an autopilot. Doable but why
: would you, if you had a choice? A/P $10-15k. ANR $250+

I just got back from a 5500 nm cross-country in a Cherokee with no autopilot.
At $10-15K and probably 50 lbs, it's not worth installing in many-a-plane.

The ANR is definately worth it (as you're proposing). I like the good passive
performance and comfort of the Lightspeed QFR XC-2. ANR isn't as aggressive as in
some, but the high-end Lightspeeds are horrible in their high-frequency
*amplification* IMO.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 17th 05, 11:16 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Agree that an AP may not be worth it in some planes. I tend to fly a lot of
3 hours legs, hard IFR. It's bad enough doing it in a single. I had a good
price on an AP for my Archer II and my A36 had one or it would have been an
immediate upgrade.

ps ditto the Lightspeed QFR XC-2. It's one of my non-ANR sets.
--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old August 18th 05, 01:31 AM
John Clonts

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote in message ...
Agree that an AP may not be worth it in some planes. I tend to fly a lot of 3 hours legs, hard IFR. It's
bad enough doing it in a single. I had a good price on an AP for my Archer II and my A36 had one or it would
have been an immediate upgrade.

ps ditto the Lightspeed QFR XC-2. It's one of my non-ANR sets.

IIRC QFR XC-2 *IS* ANR...well I guess unless you leave it turned off or the batteries dead...

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ