Aw, sh**, here we go again.

Old August 27th 05, 05:33 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Jim Herring wrote:

You're too close to the Hurricane Hunters at Keesler AFB in Biloxi. The
hurricanes are getting revenge for those WC-130's poking holes in them.

Actually they are trying to save money on fuel...
Old August 27th 05, 05:35 PM
Mike Weller

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:00:02 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"Flyingmonk" wrote:

The price one pays to live in paradise... Some days you get sun, some
days you get rain, lots of rain.

I'd call Mobile a lot of things, but "paradise" isn't one of them.

I lived for a year in Biloxi while in training at Keesler. One of the
good things there was that I was in a "self pacing" program for the
first part of the year. The only requirement was that you had to
pass two weeks class in one week. Pretty neat. I spent most of my
time over at the flying club.

In the summer time, I had to get into a parade formation and march
across the flight line to get to class. This was for my class from 3
in the afternoon to midnight. We got rained on every day at exacly
the point where we were half way across the runway.

The worst part about Biloxi was that I had to go through that tunnel
in Mobile to get back to Tennessee. I decided one time to not spend
the $0.25 and take the free route past the paper factory. Wrong!

Good wishes to you from Huntsville Alabama for the hurricane. You can
leave your airplane here and drive my car back to Mobile. 6 hours,
minimum with a couple of speeding tickets thrown in. Back then, I
would just show them my Air Force ID and they'd give me a warning.

Mike Weller

Old August 27th 05, 10:20 PM
Dan Luke

"Mike Weller" wrote:

The worst part about Biloxi was that I had to go through that tunnel
in Mobile to get back to Tennessee. I decided one time to not spend
the $0.25 and take the free route past the paper factory. Wrong!

There used to be a toll for the tunnel? That must have been before I
got here.

Good wishes to you from Huntsville Alabama for the hurricane. You can
leave your airplane here and drive my car back to Mobile. 6 hours,
minimum with a couple of speeding tickets thrown in. Back then, I
would just show them my Air Force ID and they'd give me a warning.

Thanks, Mike: that's a hell of a nice offer. If I have to leave I'll
fly to Houston & stay at Mom's.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 28th 05, 04:32 AM
Peter R.

BTIZ wrote:

But here in the desert, it's a dry heat, no hurricanes, no tornados,
no blizzards and ice storms.

Sand storms?

My father lives in Palm Springs, CA, and talks of large sand storms every
two to three years. Sprinkle in a couple of 5.0 or larger earthquakes and
several weeks of 115 degree F (46c) or greater heat...

I won't even mention the issue of scorpions, fire ants, black widow
spiders, and other nasty insects.

Winter doesn't seem so bad.

--
Peter

Old August 28th 05, 12:26 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-08-27, BTIZ wrote:
But here in the desert, it's a dry heat, no hurricanes, no tornados, no
blizzards and ice storms.

Ah. A dry heat.
Dry heat for me is *awful*. My lips chap, my nose dries out, my skin
feels awful.
Recently I was in Salt Lake City. When I got back to my friend's place
in Houston, 100 degrees and 90% humity felt GREAT! Instantly, my skin
felt better, and my dried mucous membranes recovered in a day.

But then again, I have always lived in a maritime climate. I've never
lived more than about an hour's drive from open sea.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old August 28th 05, 01:35 PM
Dan Luke

"Dylan Smith" wrote:

in Houston, 100 degrees and 90% humity

No way, Dylan--at least not simultaneously.

Summer dew points in Houston max out in the high 70's. At 100 deg. dry
bulb, that produces about 50% RH.

http://www.connel.com/freeware/psychart.shtml

That's miserably hot and humid, of course, and many people assume the RH
is much higher than it actually is.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 28th 05, 02:10 PM
Flyingmonk

I was down there for a week once many many moons ago, I was maybe
fifteen, maybe thirteen. I remembered it as being very laid back,
fishing, swimming, floating down the river on tubes, slow paced... This
is my definition of paradise. he he... Yours maybe more like the
Caribbeans or Hawaii.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old August 28th 05, 05:33 PM
BTIZ

Palms Springs is farther South.
we get dust devils,, gusts fronts from thunderstorms..
but not the full blown out "sand storms"
don't feel to many 5.0 quakes..
there is a heat alert out for today.. 107F
but we have A/C in cars, homes and shopping areas..
just not to many in the planes..
BT

"Peter R." wrote in message
BTIZ wrote:

But here in the desert, it's a dry heat, no hurricanes, no tornados,
no blizzards and ice storms.

Sand storms?

My father lives in Palm Springs, CA, and talks of large sand storms every
two to three years. Sprinkle in a couple of 5.0 or larger earthquakes and
several weeks of 115 degree F (46c) or greater heat...

I won't even mention the issue of scorpions, fire ants, black widow
spiders, and other nasty insects.

Winter doesn't seem so bad.

--
Peter

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old August 29th 05, 02:20 AM
John

On 2005-08-27, BTIZ wrote:
But here in the desert, it's a dry heat, no hurricanes, no tornados, no
blizzards and ice storms.

Ah. A dry heat.
Dry heat for me is *awful*. My lips chap, my nose dries out, my skin
feels awful.
Recently I was in Salt Lake City. When I got back to my friend's place
in Houston, 100 degrees and 90% humity felt GREAT! Instantly, my skin
felt better, and my dried mucous membranes recovered in a day.

Try drinking more water. A lot of water. It's amazing what hydration can do
for dry skin/lips.