For Dudley, "Three point reverse roll to knife-edge" what?!

Old December 11th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default For Dudley, "Three point reverse roll to knife-edge" what?!

I threw out the Wiki on Dudley Henriques to MX on r.a.s. and then read this:

"During the early sixties, flying a Mustang, he patented a three point
reverse roll to knife-edge tactical pitch-out approach that became a
trademark manoeuvre." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Henriques

Well, that flew right over -my- head!

There doesn't seem to be video or some other internet source demonstrating
this that I can find. (but boy is it fun looking!) Can I ask what a
"reverse roll" is? (or a "tactical pitch-out approach")

Thanks!

-Chris Gattman
Portland

Old December 11th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"gatt" wrote in message
I threw out the Wiki on Dudley Henriques to MX on r.a.s. and then read
this:

"During the early sixties, flying a Mustang, he patented a three point
reverse roll to knife-edge tactical pitch-out approach that became a
trademark manoeuvre." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Henriques

Well, that flew right over -my- head!

There doesn't seem to be video or some other internet source demonstrating
this that I can find. (but boy is it fun looking!) Can I ask what a
"reverse roll" is? (or a "tactical pitch-out approach")

Thanks!

-Chris Gattman
Portland

In a tactical pitch out is that the airplane is flying an upwind leg, which
is parallel to the active runway. Then, to enter a left traffic pattern, the
airplane rolls into a left hand 180 degree turn, placing it on the downwind
leg. This is the pitch out. It serves the purpose of bleeding airspeed and
can be used to extend spacing between a formation of aircraft.

The way you describe it, instead of rolling 90 degrees left into a bank, the
airplane rolls 270 degrees the opposite way (right), which puts the airplane
in the exact same orientation as if the airplane made a 90 degree left bank.
Then the airplane does the same 180 degree turn (pitch out) into the
downwind leg.

The maneuver sounds like a nice bit of flair to use in finishing off a solo
airshow routine.

KB

Old December 11th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

"During the early sixties, flying a Mustang, he patented a three point
reverse roll to knife-edge tactical pitch-out approach that became a
trademark manoeuvre." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Henriques

Maneuvers are patentable???

I would think that's going a little too far.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 11th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Jose schrieb:

Maneuvers are patentable???

You can license the take off roll from me, if you wish.
Old December 11th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jose wrote:
"During the early sixties, flying a Mustang, he patented a three point
reverse roll to knife-edge tactical pitch-out approach that became a
trademark manoeuvre." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Henriques

Maneuvers are patentable???

I would think that's going a little too far.

Jose

I believe the term was simply meant to imply that at the time, no one
else apparently was doing a flash pitchout in quite the same manner. No
big deal at all.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 11th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

gatt wrote:
I threw out the Wiki on Dudley Henriques to MX on r.a.s. and then read this:

"During the early sixties, flying a Mustang, he patented a three point
reverse roll to knife-edge tactical pitch-out approach that became a
trademark manoeuvre." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Henriques

Well, that flew right over -my- head!

There doesn't seem to be video or some other internet source demonstrating
this that I can find. (but boy is it fun looking!) Can I ask what a
"reverse roll" is? (or a "tactical pitch-out approach")

Thanks!

-Chris Gattman
Portland

Kyle has it exactly right. Reverse roll simply meant the pitch out was
away from the intended downwind low off the initial; a 270 degree point
3 roll stopping the third point with hard top rudder and a transition to
back pressure onto the downwind.

A "tactical pitch out" as opposed to a normal pitch out off the initial
puts the airplane coming in low off the deck at a much higher airspeed
at the pitch point than the normal pitch out, which is performed near
pattern speed at the downwind altitude. The tactical pitch out is a fan
break off the deck pulling up and into the downwind.

Both approaches use the break and pull into drag rise to slow the
aircraft to dirty configuration airspeed.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 12th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

The way you describe it, instead of rolling 90 degrees left into a bank,
the airplane rolls 270 degrees the opposite way (right), which puts the
airplane in the exact same orientation as if the airplane made a 90 degree
left bank. Then the airplane does the same 180 degree turn (pitch out)
into the downwind leg.

The maneuver sounds like a nice bit of flair to use in finishing off a
solo airshow routine.

Thanks. The next time I'm flying a P-51, I'm gonna try that. *looks
around*

-c

Old December 12th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Kyle has it exactly right. Reverse roll simply meant the pitch out was
away from the intended downwind low off the initial; a 270 degree point 3
roll stopping the third point with hard top rudder and a transition to
back pressure onto the downwind.

A "tactical pitch out" as opposed to a normal pitch out off the initial
puts the airplane coming in low off the deck at a much higher airspeed at
the pitch point than the normal pitch out, which is performed near pattern
speed at the downwind altitude. The tactical pitch out is a fan break off
the deck pulling up and into the downwind.

Both approaches use the break and pull into drag rise to slow the aircraft
to dirty configuration airspeed.

Okay. Well, I'd be lying if I said I could -fully- visualize it just yet,
and my wife is going to want to know why I'm playing with a toy plane all of
a sudden (a Revell Spitfire MkIX will have to substitute for a Mustang) when
I have more time to try to figure it out tonight, but I think I get the
idea.

Thanks to both of you for replying.

-Chris

Old December 12th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

gatt wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember the Blue Angels solos doing a similar maneuver at the
finish of each of their passes. For example, a solo pass from right to left
would finish with a 270 roll to the right and then a pitch to the left
(maybe with a slight hesitation at the knife edge position) to exit the
"arena" to set up for the next pass. Only difference would be that the 270
was in one motion rather than hesitating at each 90 degree point (if that's
what you mean by "3-point" roll.)

tp

Old December 12th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

gatt wrote:
[...]

That's right. The Blues two solos called it the Mirror Break if I
remember right. Really looked sharp in the A4F's. The only difference
was that they did it from level flight rather than as a fan break.

--
Dudley Henriques