General Zinni on Sixty Minutes

Old May 24th 04, 11:21 AM
Vaughn

"WalterM140" wrote in message
What difference would it have made if 300,000 troops had been sent in, instead
of 180,000?

"I think it's critical in the aftermath, if you're gonna go to resolve a
conflict through the use of force, and then to rebuild the country," says
Zinni.

Judging from Bush's recent approval ratings, it is finally beginning to
sink in to the general public that we have somehow managed to snatch defeat from
the jaws of victory in Iraq. That we never should have gone there is the first
place is now quite academic.

Vaughn

Old May 24th 04, 11:29 AM
WalterM140

Judging from Bush's recent approval ratings, it is finally beginning to
sink in to the general public that we have somehow managed to snatch defeat
from
the jaws of victory in Iraq. That we never should have gone there is the
first
place is now quite academic.

Not until those sorry *******s are out of office. I do take your point though.

Walt
Old May 24th 04, 04:00 PM
Kevin Brooks

Subject: General Zinni on Sixty Minutes
From: (WalterM140)
Date: 5/24/04 3:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time
Judging from Bush's recent approval ratings, it is finally beginning to
sink in to the general public that we have somehow managed to snatch

defeat
from
the jaws of victory in Iraq. That we never should have gone there is

the
first
place is now quite academic.

Not until those sorry *******s are out of office. I do take your point
though.

Walt

The day these guys are out of office will be a great day in American

history.
It will mark the end of the worst government America has ever had. They

can't
fool all of the people all of the time.

So far, your predictions vis a vis Iraq have been none too accurate:

"It will immediately take over all Iraqui property including the oil fields
and
refineries. These will be put under the control of companies like Exxon who
will run the entire Iraqui oil operation under the Alien Property
Custodian." (13 JAN 03)

"We've got their country and we have their oil. The rest doesn't matter."
(25 APR 03)

Funny, but it appears you were one of the bigger "go into Iraq" folks not
that long ago (and for widely differing reasons, according to your various
posts on the subject, everything from assuring the US a springboard in the
region to WMD's and "the oil"). The single constant thread was you animosity
towards the French regarding their behavior during the period leading up to
the war...

"The French will pay a price for their betrayal. And it won't be a pretty
sight." (28 MAR 03)

"At this moment the French veto makes them an ally of Iraq." (7 FEB 03)

"...they [the French] questioned the motives of the Bush
administration. Why should the French fight? They know the Americans and the

Brits will fight for them. As always. They are pobably drawing up surrender
documents just in case even as we speak.." (6 FEB 03)

And, to provide another Artian view of the war that seems to be a bit
(guffaw!) at odds with this latest blathering:

[when told 21 JAN 03 that OBL was not in Iraq] "Can't hurt to look."

And..."GO FORTH AND CONQUER !!!!!!" (11 FEB 03)

Either you are seriously delusional, to the point of exhibiting
multiple-personality disorder "Its the WMD's! No, it's not, it's the oil!
Trounce those danged Iraqis! Go! Go! Go! I mean, STOP! What the hell are you
doing, why are you GOING (into Iraq...)?" etc. etc., ad nauseum...

But now you are intent upon hanging Bush for Iraq, having been one of the
bigger cheerleaders behind our going in there in the first place? Must be
nice to have such a fluid sense of values which allows you to be "right" no
matter how things develop....

Brooks

Arthur Kramer

Old May 25th 04, 02:08 AM
WalterM140

Brooks sticks his toe in the water:

Funny, but it appears you were one of the bigger "go into Iraq" folks not
that long ago (and for widely differing reasons

So was I. But the Bush administration lied about the basis for the war and then
screwed it up, as General Zinni said.

Walt
Old May 25th 04, 10:21 AM
WalterM140

Funny, but it appears you were one of the bigger "go into Iraq"
folks not that long ago (and for widely differing reasons

So was I.

Were you?

I can't seem to find any comments from you on the subject more than
about a month old, and those from the last month are all anti-invasion.

It seems that if you were "one of the bigger" folks, you would have said
something.

I wasn't posting on this NG in that time frame. I don't think you'll find any
posts from me at all on this NG from back then.

Yes, I was for the war, because I thought Powell and Cheney would be running
it, not the incompetents who are in fact running it.

Walt
Old May 25th 04, 09:57 PM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Ed Rasimus
confessed the following:

Did we notice that the Berg beheading in Iraq was conducted by
Al-Zawhari, an Al-Qeada leader? No link to AQ and Iraq???

Uhhh, Ed there are reports that the presence of AQ is
post-invasion/occupation. That's if you believe folks like Karen
Kwiatkowski LtCol USAF (Ret). Nobody disputes AQ is now in Iraq, but
there is a wide credibility gap connecting AQ and Iraq pre-invasion.

Start here http://www.militaryweek.com/kk120103.shtml note that this
is reprinted from The American Conservative (not some Lefty Liberal
Everything America Does is Wrong periodical).

Or, the discovery last week of a 155mm shell with 3 LITERS of Sarin?
How much WMD does it take to make WMD? Got any estimate of what 3
liters of Sarin would do in downtown Manhattan? Or, how big that is?
How many needles can you hide in a haystack the size of California. We
found one so far.

Fair enough, do we invade Iran and Syria next, then North Korea? I ask
that partially as a rhetorical question because I have cohorts that
honestly think Iran and Syria ARE next on the list...and these guys
believe everything GWB (Rove)/Cheney/Rumsfeld say, and yet they think
Colin Powell is something of a pussy. WTFO? Blind obedience is scary.
Neocon arrogance is dangerous.

One sarin round after 12 months, that's hardly impressive Ed. I don't
dispute that SH used WMD against Iranians and Kurds over a decade ago.
I am curious why he didn't use them last year when we invaded, that
seems illogical NOT to use them in your last stand to keep control of
your country. Again you'll be hard pressed to present evidence that SH
was about to turn his WMD vast stockpiles (that even Clinton's folks
thought he had) or those remnants over to AQ.

I don't dispute that SH was a ruthless MF; I don't dispute Iraq will
eventually be better off with SH gone. I simply dispute the arguments
GWB chose to rationalize our invasion...I'm not alone. Are we going to
occupy all nations that are potential threats?

And just for the record, I voted against GWB in 2000 because he lacks
the gravitas IMO and the guy I wanted in the Oval Office, John McCain
wasn't in the running (Rove can take credit for the SC "push
polling.")...but I digress.

Juvat