We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Old March 21st 17, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

The answer alone removes all doubt that affordable sailplanes CAN be made!

Old March 21st 17, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 5:50:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

The answer alone removes all doubt that affordable sailplanes CAN be made!

Sean Spicer.... is it really you?
Old March 21st 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 8:50:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

The answer alone removes all doubt that affordable sailplanes CAN be made!

What's a used PW-5 worth and how fast do they sell? Hint there is one on W&W for 18.5K listed for over a year. You are barking up the wrong tree.
Old March 21st 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

If this is so incredibly important to you, why wouldn't you just do the research yourself. The data is there in the SSA Magazine archive. In today's dollars, the answer is "nowhere near $25,000". What's more telling is that the manufacturing of the PW-5 stopped and started at least twice under different ownership, going out of business each time. And, nobody took up the "offer" of license manufacturing which was part of the deal in the first place.

Old March 21st 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 9:24:16 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
If this is so incredibly important to you, why wouldn't you just do the research yourself. The data is there in the SSA Magazine archive. In today's dollars, the answer is "nowhere near $25,000". What's more telling is that the manufacturing of the PW-5 stopped and started at least twice under different ownership, going out of business each time. And, nobody took up the "offer" of license manufacturing which was part of the deal in the first place.

Darn you, you got me to go look. But it was worth it. For a laugh go read the University of Tennessee marketing study on the PW-5 in Soaring magazine December 1995 page 8.
Old March 21st 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, let's just say that the ASW-19, brand new in 1975 cost $25,000,
though I'm sure it was a bit more. Adjusting for inflation, that's
$116,296.72 in today's dollars ($30K inflates to $139,556.07).

Guess that sucks the wind out of your sails, huh, Wilbur? A similar
lookup could just as easily be done for the first production year of the
PW-5.

On 3/20/2017 11:36 AM, wrote:
How and why, was the PW-5 made for so cheap?

Nobody can answer this because it proves you are wrong!

Basic sailplanes do not cost a fortune to build. There is a market for entry level gliders with a handicap of 1.00 for a reasonable price. Few pilots want to own a 40-50 year old fiberglass sailplane.

How much did an ASW-19 cost brand new in 1975?

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 21st 17, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Since someone said the price was $19,500, that's $88,294.77 in today's
dollars. Still a bunch. For that money you could get at least a used
ASW-27 so why rebuild a '19?

Old March 21st 17, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This thread is really bad, but yet I keep reading it. Please! Someone stop me.