Alpha is Down

Old February 10th 21, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

Default Alpha is Down

I'm sad to report that my friend Dave Cole passed away this morning.
Dave was a lifetime second generation pilot at the Blue Ridge Soaring Society where he was a member for more than 50 years.
Dave was an active cross country and contest pilot and served on the Contest Rules Subcommittee for several years.
He was one of the 17 that flew the first 1000k contest flight in 1990, among his many flying achievements.
He was always one of the first to volunteer to work on, or very commonly lead all kinds of club projects. His marks are everywhere around New Castle International.
Sadly, a few years ago, Dave started a battle with Alzheimer's and was not able to be with us as he and we would have liked.
His wife Charlie was his faithful partner till the end. She has our love.
I will miss my friend Dave terribly.
With love and respect
UH
Old February 10th 21, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 2:33:08 PM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
[...]

May he RIP, nice tribute to your fellow glider pilot and friend.
Old February 11th 21, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 5:11:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

The good simple days when Dave and the rest of us( many !) had our shiny new ASW20's. Almighty times , and we were all happy and enjoying every minute as we flew whenever we could !

Friends almighty, times were good and maybe a bit simpler.

Alpha, say position ?

HW

Old February 11th 21, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

[...]

Sorry to hear this.....I didn't know him well, but knew him from contests & family.

Condolences to family & friends....
Old February 11th 21, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

I met Dave in the mid 70s at one of the early Cordele regionals. Good pilot, good guy. We were both pretty young. I looked forward to flying with and against him. On the first contest day in 1977, I got nervous and left early in my Std. Libelle. Half way around, I heard late starters chortling over the suddenly improved thermals. Gloom. I finished, launched again, and took a chance on a second trip, dolphining home under a deteriorating sky to improve my speed significantly. One of the pilots there, flying a Std. Cirrus, came up to me afterward grinning: "You beat me!" He was very competitive but also good humored and gracious.

That was the Dave Cole I will remember.

Fifteen years later, in 1992, I had been out of soaring for five years. UH encouraged and helped me re-enter that summer. In September, my then-wife, Tanya, and I drove down to New Castle for my first contest in a long time. The venue was probably not my wisest decision but I'd flown there before and thought I could do so safely.

As we drove up to the main hangar on Saturday morning, a little nervous that after that much time away from soaring, we might feel very out of place, a guy looked up at our van. When we climbed out, his face broke into a big smile. He called out my name delightedly and came hustling over to shake our hands and welcome us back. It was a great feeling!

That was the Dave Cole I will remember.

Not long after, I stood chatting with several pilots, watching gliders take off on the practice day. A motorglider lifted off and went by us in a drone of noise. It was a beautiful day but hot and there was some wind swirling over the hills. We watched the motorglider struggle to climb out. One of the local guys saw it first, before anyone else.

"No, Alan, no!" he cried out in alarm. The glider flew into the downwash at the north end of the runway at NCI and began to settle. We watched, frozen, as he approached the high-voltage cables there, hoping fervently that he would clear. Then the main wheel caught the top wire. It flipped the bird over on its nose and it dropped straight in, engine still screaming. The guy who had yelled--who knew New Castle like the back of his hand--was already running for his van. He had known through the entire sequence that the pilot was in trouble.

That was the Dave Cole I will remember.

Soaring is great. But it's the people who make it special. Dave was one of them. So very sorry to hear he's gone. Condolences to Charlie, Sam, Dan, Jim, and the entire Cole family.

There's a very nice obit at: https://www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/roanoke/197724777

Chip Bearden
JB
Old February 12th 21, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 5:14:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I thought the world of Dave.
Old February 12th 21, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

[...]

Very nice Chip....very nice...

Alpha-jet at Valley RustY © Aviation Photos 0 July 1st 15 08:42 AM
Alpha Jet Canuck[_10_] Aviation Photos 1 December 2nd 12 03:39 PM
Alpha Jet Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 6 November 3rd 09 10:02 PM
Alpha Jet RIAT Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 October 9th 09 11:52 PM
Need an Alpha helmet? [email protected] Rotorcraft 0 April 24th 06 04:13 PM