Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Old July 4th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
At one time, back about 1911, the UK and its colonies were
reasonably free places. Today, possession of a pocket
knife, a firearm or even a door lock that you won't open for
police inspection will land you in the slammer.

If you don't think that the US is headed in that direction, you have your
eyes closed. The government's fear-mongering, and the US population's
demand for "security at all costs" is driving us there at an alarming pace.

It's not as though knives and guns in the US are uniformly allowed (never
mind weapons with higher firepower), and digital privacy is the current
front on which the US government is looking to require a "master key"
provided to law enforcement. Once the government has carte blanche to
eavesdrop on our conversations, it's only a matter of time before they also
are given the power to enter your house at will.

And by the way, if the police have a valid warrant, it is already a crime to
not open a door lock for them.

I'm amazed that you see a significant difference between the US and the
other places you mention, with respect to the issues you mention.

There is only one USA and one U.S. Constitution and Bill of
Rights.

The sooner we get back to using those documents, the better.

Old July 4th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
[...]
Enjoy your freedom while you can. It can't continue if the religious
right stays in power.

As much as the religious right has had negative influences in our government
policy, the things you are specifically addressing are, IMHO, more a result
of just a general lust for power.

I know plenty of "liberals" who believe that "in this time of war", the
government is justified in all manner of illegal activities. The sheep-like
march toward totalitarianism is not restricted to specific political
boundaries, unfortunately.

Pete

Old July 4th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Meds run out again, Larry? What does the above have to do with piloting?

About as much as the original post did, I'd say.

Old July 4th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
To my Fellow Americans: Happy Independence Day!

Just think, if we hadn't won the war for independence from Great Britain,
some 230 years ago, we all wouldn't be speaking Spanish today... :-)

We came *this close* to speaking Canadian!

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761569964_5/American_Revolution.html
The Americans Invade Canada

Montblack

Old July 4th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
To my Fellow Americans: Happy Independence Day!

Just think, if we hadn't won the war for independence from Great
Britain, some 230 years ago, we all wouldn't be speaking Spanish
today... :-)

Seriously, where else can a man hop in his own airplane, load it up
with car gas, and take his family for a 9 day flight around the Great
Lakes, without ever once being required to fill out paperwork or bribe
some petty government official? Where else can one land at literally
thousands of airfields, borrow a car, and head off to see the sights,
knowing full-well that the aircraft will still be there when we return?

For all its foibles, we Americans still live in the free-est country in
history, and let's not ever forget it. Better yet, let's make sure it
stays that way!

Now go celebrate Independence Day -- by flying!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

You said it buddy. Happy Independence Day! I love this place.

Monk

Old July 4th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Quilljar

For all its foibles, we Americans still live in the free-est
country in history, and let's not ever forget it. Better yet,
let's make sure it stays that way!

Now go celebrate Independence Day -- by flying!

I think it is great that you guys feel that America is free. In many ways it
is. I have been there many times and have visited more than 20 other
countries regularly and over 150 cities around the world. I can assure you
that it feels just as free in most of them as it does in America. To call it
the Land of the Free is a nice patriotic gesture, but don't exaggerate your
own Hollywood propaganda and fall into the trap of thinking it is the ONLY
place.
After several years service in the Navy, I recall that Malaysia was the
country in which I felt the most freedom and where I would have gladly
settled, but Australia and New Zealand are well up there with the USA.

--
Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

Old July 4th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:31:23 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
::

Enjoy your freedom while you can. It can't continue if the religious
right stays in power.

false premise

I know you're capable of communicating in complete sentences. If
you've got something to say, say it.

Old July 4th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Enjoy your freedom while you can. It can't continue if the religious
right stays in power.

false premise

If
you've got something to say, say it.

I did. You have a false premise.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 4th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

To call it
the Land of the Free is a nice patriotic gesture, but don't exaggerate your
own Hollywood propaganda and fall into the trap of thinking it is the ONLY
place.

Ah, crap. I suppose we don't get to call ourselves "the home of the
brave" anymore, now, either....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 4th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Just think, if we hadn't won the war for independence from Great Britain,
some 230 years ago, we all wouldn't be speaking Spanish today... :-)

We came *this close* to speaking Canadian!

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761569964_5/American_Revolution.html
The Americans Invade Canada

Just think...were it not for those brave Canadians who gave their all
by beating us at Quebec, we, too, would be ending every sentence with
"...eh?"

:-)
--
Jay Honeck