Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Old July 7th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Flying in Europe (Was: Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!)

As much as I know you love to fly, unless you have a very big block of time
(to take VFR delays into consideration) I wouldn't recommend it. It is
impossible to beat an unlimited 30 day Eurorail pass. You get to go
whenever you want, it is quick and on time, night or day, and it seems there
is always a train to get you where you want to go. I could see getting 1/2
the things seen, flying vs. train-ing.

I've heard the same thing, Jim -- but the poster seems to think that
the flying in Europe is easy and doable.

I'm prepared to let him explain himself -- heck, maybe Mary and I could
actually do a similar flight around Europe, like we've done so many
times before in America? THAT would look pretty cool in the ol'
logbook...

Besides -- I find trains fun, but...well, they're *trains*.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Matt,

Firearms are much more restricted in Australia than
here.

One would certainly have to discuss whether that enhances or diminishes
one's freedom. Depends on which side of the gun you're on.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Quilljar,

Hmmm, I would have thought that restricting firearms was increasing the
freedom of people who don't want to be shot! Ah! Maybe that is why you call
it 'The Land of the Brave' !

Forget starting a sensible discussion on that subject here. The redneck squad
is going to be all over you.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

John,

I think it's great that there are so many countries with democracies
almost as old as the United States now.

Like, uhm, Greece? gd&r

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

I would MUCH prefer flying myself around Europe, but have been
dissuaded from the notion by many people who have inferred that it is
quite impossible.

In these groups, you can finde a wealth of information on how possible
that is.

Please fill me in: What would I, as an American pilot, have to do to,
say, rent a plane in England, fly it to France, Belgium, Austria,
Germany, and back to England?

Do a check-out and rent it. Easiest would be to find an N-reg. Should be
very much doable in the UK. That would also enable you to fly IFR, if
you have the rating. You can fly a UK-registered plane with the FAA
certificate, however, I am not quite sure about crossing borders in that
case. You might need some kind of certificate conversion for that. We
can find out...

There are just two difficult things:

1. You'd have to study the regs a little, as they differ from country to
country and from the US.
2. You'd have to pay more than you are used to.

Other than that, it is by no means more difficult than for a foreigner
intending to fly in the US.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Matt,

You would have to own your own oil well.

BS! Can't you Americans get into your head that there are countries
besides yours? Jeeze!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

John,

Something none of the other followup threads have mentioned is "lots of
Euros!!!"

That's a well known fact. However, that does not at all mean it's
"impossible".

Would some of you Continental RAPer's please post some prices/costs
associated with the above items for reference?

Depends on the country. A lot. Avgas varies from around 10 $ per gallon in
Germany to 6 $ in Denmark, for example.

A mid-seventies 172 or a PA28 can be rented for 160 to 220 $ per hour, wet
- often per hour flight time, not Hobbs. If you take it for an extended
trip, you can get it cheaper.

A landing at a small airport in Germany will cost you 10 bucks. In Denmark,
it might be free. A landing at Berlin-Tempelhof, the "mother of all
airports" (Sir Norman Foster), well known from Billy Wilders' movie (can't
remember the title) will cost you 100 $ - but it is worth it. And you can
do it, while you can't land at Reagan Airport in DC. Talk about land of the
free...

Eurocontrol (read ATC user fee) costs nothing for MTOW below 2 metric tons.
At some 8 or so major airports in Germany, there is an ATC departure fee of
15 bucks, however.

A CFI for the checkout will probably be around 80 $ per hour.

Is that "a lot more"? Is it within the realms of the possible? You decide.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 4 Jul 2006 06:01:58 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in .com::

where else can a man hop in his own airplane, load it up
with car gas, and take his family for a 9 day flight around the Great
Lakes, without ever once being required to fill out paperwork or bribe
some petty government official?

Where else in the world can a pilot be shot down for flying within a
38 mile radius of his nation's capital?
Old July 7th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Is that "a lot more"? Is it within the realms of the possible? You decide.

For the average USA pilot, yes.
Thanks for responding, it truely puts things in perspective for us on
this side of the pond.
One more question: What type of flying in Europe requires an instrument
rating?
Old July 7th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Quilljar

I think it's great that there are so many countries with democracies
almost as old as the United States now.

I cannot believe I just read that! I am very pro-American, here in the UK,
so many of your boys gave their lives for us in WW2 but the USA must be
almost the newest western democracy, it's a Greek word for God's sake!
Lovely people, but does anyone get further than fourth grade over there?
I am beginning to see the Simpsons as a documentary...

--
Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.