What is happening???

Old March 1st 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default What is happening???

What is happening to this group?

Suddenly there is more garbage than aviation stuff posted.

Is there a deliberate attempt to ruin it?

Cheers:
Paul
N1431A

Old March 1st 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tri-Pacer wrote:

What is happening to this group?

Suddenly there is more garbage than aviation stuff posted.

Is there a deliberate attempt to ruin it?

Paul, my recommendation to you is to brush up on your killfiles and
newsreader filters. Once you properly filter this group, you will find a
lot of valuable exchange still occurring.

You cannot stop those who want to post their garbage, but you can filter
it. The more people who do this, the more the spammers and trolls are
ignored and the less incentive they have (OK, well maybe just the trolls)
to continue.

I don't see nearly the volume of garbage you do and it took me a moment to
recall why there was this disparity.

--
Peter
Old March 1st 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message
. ..
What is happening to this group?

Suddenly there is more garbage than aviation stuff posted.

Is there a deliberate attempt to ruin it?

Killfiles work rather well at increasing the content to noise ratio... I've
found that by killfiling the anonymous remailers, you cut down quite a bit
of clutter... Unfortunately, some of the trolls crosspost over many
newsgroups, so we get noise from the other newsgroups from individuals who
reply to the trolls... To get rid of this, I create message rules in OE that
look for certain strings in the message header... The two major rules that I
have are called:

Belfort Stalking Nutcases
9/11 Conspiracy Nuts

Since the rules are just searching for certain strings in the message
subject field, even those individuals who mistakenly respond to a troll get
their message filtered, but their responses to other messages are not
necessarily filtered...

Old March 1st 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If you kill any subject that is in all caps you will probably get rid
of 50% of the junk.

-robert

Old March 1st 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What is happening to this group?

Suddenly there is more garbage than aviation stuff posted.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing.

Luckily, a few button clicks (and a few effective filters) allow me to
easily sort the wheat from the chaff.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:43:04 GMT, "Grumman-581"
wrote in
:

... some of the trolls crosspost over many
newsgroups, so we get noise from the other newsgroups from individuals who
reply to the trolls ...

It's possible to filter out all crossposts. If there
is a comma in the "newsgroups" field, then it is a
crosspost.

You may miss some good content this way, of course,
since non-trolls do crosspost to the rec.aviation.*
groups.

Marty