Nearest Location

Old June 11th 19, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Nearest Location

I am 13 years old and I want to learn to fly a glider. The one problem is that the nearest gliding school near me is 1 hr and 40 minutes away and this is way too far. I was wondering if there was a way around this. I have looked for different places but they are all too far.

FYI I live in eastern TN and the closest place is in Knoxville TN.

Thanks
Old June 11th 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McBee

Yes, this is a problem. I live in Johnson City, TN, and the two closest places for me are 3 hours away.

I think Chilhowee Gliderport is the nearest location for you. The good news is that Sarah and Jason are outstanding instructors and great people as well. You couldn't get better training.

Maybe we can get a critical mass of people in the NE Tennessee area and start a new club.

Matt
Old June 11th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 7:46:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I am 13 years old and I want to learn to fly a glider. The one problem is that the nearest gliding school near me is 1 hr and 40 minutes away and this is way too far. I was wondering if there was a way around this. I have looked for different places but they are all too far.

FYI I live in eastern TN and the closest place is in Knoxville TN.

Thanks

I suggest you take a two week intensive course at the Knoxville TN gliding school. Being a minor, your parents would be responsible for arranging some sort of boarding during that period. I urge you to continue with an ongoing dialogue with the Knoxville gliding school and your parents, and to sort out the possibilities.

In Michigan, in the recent past, there was a Summer "camp" for youth for the sole purpose of teaching gliding. Most of the students were able to solo the glider by the completion of the camp. You must understand that this will not only take a commitment from you, but a commitment from your parents..

I fly from a glider airfield located in Ionia Michigan. Most pilots travel more than an hour to the glider airfield and have some means of staying several days at a time.

I commend you for your interest in gliding. It really is the "sport of Kings (or Queens) ! " The sense of accomplishment is highly gratifying. I've been gliding for over 43 years now. I started in a youth group in Oxford Michigan in 1976. There were three students. We were expected out at the field by 7:00 am and to do most of the "duty" which included prepping the gliders for the day, setting up the winch, doing most of the field work, then putting everything back in the hangar at the end of the day. In exchange, we each had three flights with the instructor using the winch as the launching method ( sometimes one or two more ). We also gained a great deal of insight from the other senior members of the club, who took us under their "wing". This was repeated each Saturday and Sunday and all of us soloed the glider at the end of Summer. Each day was at least eight hours of time.. Best thing was, we really had a great deal of fun and learned a lot. That was over forty years ago. Funny thing, I received a call from one of my fellow students just weeks ago, who thought it would be great to have a get together, once more. The three of us, plus a few other club members, are having a glider "reunion" were we will rekindle our friendships, have a lunch and dinner together, glider rides, and a camp fire in the evening ! Yes, this is true. It is planned for late August at the Ionia airport this year.
One thing that may not be evident to those not involved in the sport of gliding, is the long term bonds of friendship between glider pilots. It is something very special. Just ask anyone who is a glider pilot. The sport is a lot more than just flying a glider.
I urge you to continue your quest. Ask and you shall receive !
Old June 11th 19, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 5:46:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I am 13 years old and I want to learn to fly a glider. The one problem is that the nearest gliding school near me is 1 hr and 40 minutes away and this is way too far. I was wondering if there was a way around this. I have looked for different places but they are all too far.

FYI I live in eastern TN and the closest place is in Knoxville TN.

Thanks

If it makes you feel any better, I live in NW MT. The closest club where I could take lessons is a 3hr 45min drive, two states away in WA. The only operation in MT is a 4hr drive away. I know how you feel. Trying to schedule blocks of time to take lessons makes sense. But the weather can also play against you. I took a week off for lessons last year, and only got to fly 4 days out of 7. It's still worth it though.
Old June 11th 19, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I live very close to you. I live in Erwin TN. I would like there to be a NE TN club. I think that there are a lot of people wanting to glide but they either don't have enough money or time. I hope that gliding becomes more popular so that it is more accessible in the future.

Old June 11th 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 8:41:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I suggest you take a two week intensive course at the Knoxville TN gliding school.

What is the Knoxville TN gliding school?
Old June 11th 19, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Deming Gray

Hi, I live in Chattanooga and fly at Chilhowee, Tullahoma, and Eagleville sometimes. I am also heavily involved in the Civil Air Patrol glider operations at Tullahoma. Weather permitting we fly almost every weekend and CAP is the least expensive route to obtain your glider rating that I know of locally. I would recommend that you look into becoming s member of CAP and avail yourself of the opportunities to fly with them. We also conduct a week long glider academy every year at Tullahoma. Check it out.
Old June 11th 19, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

School being out for the summer, a vacation to Florida, Seminole Lake Gliderport, Disney, etc. looks like a possibility. They have a nice apartment for family stay, cheaper than a hotel and less than an hour from the theme parks. Call them. 352-394-5450.
Old June 11th 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 4:46:09 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I am 13 years old and I want to learn to fly a glider. The one problem is that the nearest gliding school near me is 1 hr and 40 minutes away and this is way too far. I was wondering if there was a way around this. I have looked for different places but they are all too far.

FYI I live in eastern TN and the closest place is in Knoxville TN.

Thanks

Until you figure out transportation to nearest glider port do check out http://glidercfi.com/author/smanley/

Purchase Condor, rudder pedals and a stick. There is much learning that can be done before you figure out transportation to the nearest glider port. Good luck stay focused and study hard, both in school and on the flight line.

Jon