"The Kiwi" is born...

Old October 31st 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default "The Kiwi" is born...

Yes, our new flight simulator cockpit at the hotel -- quickly dubbed
"The Kiwi" by its creator -- has arrived!

See it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm

Keith, our A&P (and designer of The Kiwi) is simply remarkable.
Without plans he is able to think and "see" 3-dimensionally, and was
thus able to cut and weld an ergonomically-correct "cockpit" that
incorporated our CH-brand rudder pedals and yoke, along with an
electrically adjustable seat, height-adjustable yoke mount, and wheels
(so that the whole contraption can be moved about easily. Being made
from steel, it is HEAVY) in just a matter of hours!

Most amazing of all -- he refused to take any money for creating it,
saying that he just "threw it together" from "old parts laying around
the hangar"... THAT is true friendship.

We're not doing Movie Night tonight, due to Halloween, so I can't WAIT
until the formal "unveiling" of our flightless bird at next Tuesday's
showing!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, our new flight simulator cockpit at the hotel -- quickly dubbed
"The Kiwi" by its creator -- has arrived!

See it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm

Envy Mode On

Sweet Rig!

Envy Mode Off

Jay B

Old October 31st 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Cool!
Did I notice an empty panel leaning up against the back wall of the theatre?
Perhaps a dual screen option still in the works? Cockpit panel on a monitor
mounted just beyond the yoke with the outside world playing on the big
screen?

Jim

ups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Did I notice an empty panel leaning up against the back wall of the theatre?
Perhaps a dual screen option still in the works? Cockpit panel on a monitor
mounted just beyond the yoke with the outside world playing on the big
screen?

That's an idea whose time hasn't quite come, but is a very possible
future upgrade...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Yes, our new flight simulator cockpit at the hotel -- quickly dubbed
"The Kiwi" by its creator -- has arrived!

See it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm

Keith, our A&P (and designer of The Kiwi) is simply remarkable.

What, no seatbelts? :-)

I haven't tried it, but I understand the other gizmo some people claim
works great and enhances realism is the TrackIR product from NaturalPoint
(http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/).
Old October 31st 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, our new flight simulator cockpit at the hotel -- quickly dubbed
"The Kiwi" by its creator -- has arrived!

See it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm

I can see the competitions at next year's Pre-OSH pool party already.

Old October 31st 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm

I can see the competitions at next year's Pre-OSH pool party already.

And with each beer, performance will...change...

;-)

All kidding aside, I think we'll create a "Oshkosh Landing Scenario"
and let guys practice the Oshkosh Arrival Procedure. I'll bet it
wouldn't be too hard to create a scenario that starts folks just
outside of Ripon.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

When they finally say that the airport is closed, everybody will just get up
and grab another beer.
Jim

Old October 31st 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com...
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm

I can see the competitions at next year's Pre-OSH pool party already.

And with each beer, performance will...change...

;-)

All kidding aside, I think we'll create a "Oshkosh Landing Scenario"
and let guys practice the Oshkosh Arrival Procedure. I'll bet it
wouldn't be too hard to create a scenario that starts folks just
outside of Ripon.
--

Excellent idea and it shouldn't hard at all and to add to the fun have
somebody over in the corner playing ATC and everybody else yelling radio

I've got dibs on being the guy calling in without ever reading the NOTAM.