Swift Boat Guys Caught in Some Great Big Lies

Old August 20th 04, 06:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Is there no end to your military ignorance?

Like most that frequent this forum, I have far greater military knowledge
than you.

Old August 20th 04, 06:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"OXMORON1" wrote in message

Because a Battle Star is more than a "I was in the neighborhood ribbon".

You
get stationed in the area and you get a theater ribbon, the Battle Stars
indicate participation in the action.

What was the criteria for the award of the battle star?

Old August 20th 04, 06:18 PM
OXMORON1

Art asked:
How many missions did you have to fly to get an Air Medal?

It varied with the a/c type and the location and the "powers that be". IIRC the
count was 20. But a couple of mine were in transports so they don't mean as
much. My brother,the helicopter pilot, has enough clusters to make his Air
Medal Ribbon look like it is infected with someting and they were a lot harder
for him to earn, therefore they mean much more to him..
It is all relative and anymore it can be political.
The award that I am happiest about NOT having is the Purple Heart. That means I
was lucky. Fate was on my side.

Rick
Old August 20th 04, 06:31 PM
ArtKramr

Art asked:
How many missions did you have to fly to get an Air Medal?

t varied with the a/c type and the location and the "powers that be". IIRC
the
count was 20. But a couple of mine were in transports so they don't mean as

That's interesting. In WW II we got an air medal for evrry 5 missions. Later
wars were judged to be less hazardous with lower losses per mission so the
requirements were raised as high as 20 in later wars. I guess it means that 50
missions in WW II were the equivalent of 200 missions in later wars. So raw
numbers don't mean much do they?. So when someone brags about how many
missions they flew the best reply is: Really? Where and when?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old August 20th 04, 06:38 PM
OXMORON1

Steve asked:

What was the criteria for the award of the battle star?

You'll have to get that answer from one of the WWII guys. During that time I
was about two years old.
I think, repeat "think", don't know for sure that it was based on your
personnel records, unit assignment, military specialty and dates.
Military award regulations change all the time and I don't have access to the
regulations or history

Rick
Old August 20th 04, 06:45 PM
OXMORON1

Art wrote in response to:
What was the criteria for the award of the battle star?

the following:
You had to fight in the ****ing battle asshole.

Calm down Art! He asked a legitimate question and deserved a better answer.

Rick

Old August 20th 04, 06:48 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

You had to fight in the ****ing battle

Do you have any idea what constituted fighting in the ****ing battle?

asshole.

Do you have any idea why you're unable to engage in civil discourse?

Old August 20th 04, 06:59 PM
OXMORON1

Art wrote:

That's interesting. In WW II we got an air medal for evrry 5 missions.
Later
wars were judged to be less hazardous with lower losses per mission so the
requirements were raised as high as 20 in later wars. I guess it means that
50
missions in WW II were the equivalent of 200 missions in later wars. So raw
numbers don't mean much do they?. So when someone brags about how many
missions they flew the best reply is: Really? Where and when?

Irrelevant Art!
The enemy is still trying to kill you and you him. Define hazardous, current
weapons systems are more lethal that the 88 and maybe more numerous per square
mile in some locations. Detection systems are better, hence you are unlikely to
avoid being shot at day or night.
The key word in your comment is "brag", the quietest, most calm person I know
has killed more people than I have even thought about and I do not want to ****
him off. Real heroes are not apt to brag about their escapades.

Rick