AeroBid - Online Aviation Auction

Old April 4th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default AeroBid - Online Aviation Auction

On Apr 4, 10:23 am, Newps wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Disclaimer: I am a partial owner of both Wal-Mart and a couple of other Big
Box stores.

We all are.

Suppose for the sake of argument if a specialized auction site has a
tremendous amount of auctions, costs less than eBay and has a big
community around it. I think that this business model can coexist
with eBay. Forbes has a nice little article about it with niche
auction links...

http://www.forbes.com/bow/b2c/category.jhtml?id=242

Old April 4th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 3 Apr 2007 09:39:29 -0700, wrote in
. com:

Niche auction for aviation... Can it compete with eBay? Your
thoughts?

http://www.aerobid.net

If the aerobid sales commission is lower than eBay's, it will attract
sellers, but only if there is sufficient buyer bidding competition to
drive the sale price above what the item would have sold for on eBay.
Ultimately, buyers need to have incentive to patronize an alternate
auction site to eBay's well established and somewhat proven record of
successful transactions. What will attract buyers to aerobid? It's
got to be either lower prices, in which case sellers will not be
attracted, larger selection, over which aerobid has no control, or
some sort of value-added benefit...

Old April 4th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
On Apr 4, 10:23 am, Newps wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Disclaimer: I am a partial owner of both Wal-Mart and a couple of
other Big Box stores.

We all are.

Suppose for the sake of argument if a specialized auction site has a
tremendous amount of auctions, costs less than eBay and has a big
community around it. I think that this business model can coexist
with eBay. Forbes has a nice little article about it with niche
auction links...

http://www.forbes.com/bow/b2c/category.jhtml?id=242

Each one of those is aiming at an market that is so much larger than that of
the GA market that it makes it (or the owners hope to make it) profitable as
a stand alone entity. The GA market is really pretty small compared to just
about anything. It is one of the reasons stuff costs so damn much.

There is also the not so far fetched idea that the owners of those sites sit
around every night and pray to whatever god they worship that they draw just
enough business that E-bay wants to buy them. That seems to be the primary
business model in the .com world.

Old April 4th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 4, 11:45 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
On Apr 4, 10:23 am, Newps wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

[...]

business model in the .com world.- Hide quoted text -

I just read recently in one of AOPA's issues that there are roughly
450,000 pilots in the U.S. and little over 100,000 GA planes...
Classified ad business is huge... I understand that a lot of baby
boomers are airplane owners and there may be a computer barrier there
- then again I may be wrong. What do you think? I am looking to buy
a used Cessna 172 and right not there are only a dozen or so listed on
eBay. I wish AeroBid or a similar site would have over a hundred
listed. I would actually make plans to visit the closest sellers and
inspect some airplanes. Instead I am circling ads in Trade-a-Plane
and making the best of it...

Old April 4th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

On Apr 4, 10:23 am, Newps wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

[...]

That seems to be the primary business model in the .com world.- Hide
quoted text -

I just read recently in one of AOPA's issues that there are roughly
450,000 pilots in the U.S. and little over 100,000 GA planes...
Classified ad business is huge... I understand that a lot of baby
boomers are airplane owners and there may be a computer barrier there
- then again I may be wrong. What do you think? I am looking to buy
a used Cessna 172 and right not there are only a dozen or so listed on
eBay. I wish AeroBid or a similar site would have over a hundred
listed. I would actually make plans to visit the closest sellers and
inspect some airplanes. Instead I am circling ads in Trade-a-Plane
and making the best of it...

450,000 pilots (many not active) and 100,000 GA planes (which means far
fewer owners because many are owned by people or companies that own multiple
aircraft) is a really small market. I'd bet there are more people in
Wal-Marts in Arkansas at this moment (1:05pm CDT) than there are people that
will ever buy aviation items online.

As has been mentioned buying an airplane on E-Bay really doesn't happen that
often because people aren't buying airplanes sight unseen. Those that are
selling aircraft via E-Bay are using it as an online classified service. And
there is lots of competition in that market including Trade-a-Planes own
online site.

There are 100's of 172 for sale online. They are just spread out over
multiple sites. That ought to make you happy. You said you are in favor of
competition.

Old April 5th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

wrote:
On Apr 3, 3:41 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:

Newps wrote:

wrote:

Niche auction for aviation... Can it compete with eBay?

No.

Your

thoughts?

In order for there to be an auction there has to be stuff up for
auction.

I agree with Newps. It doesn't have a chance. But the way to prove me wrong
is take an aviation related item and post it on both and see which site
sells it for the most.

spcek, you compare Ebay to Wal-Mart and to a certain extent that is true.
I'd be willing to bet that even the big aviation products dealers, like
Sporty's would crap their pants if they heard that Wal-Mart was going to
start an aviation products department and there wouldn't be an independent
FBO left standing if they opened Wal-Mart FBOs accross the country.

The reason I mentioned Wal-Mart was because one time I suggested my
cousin to get some hunting supplies there.
He laughed at me stating that you don't go to Wal-Mart for that. You
go to a specialized store that deals with hunting/fishing
products. I am applying the same logic here. Sure, everyone has
heard of Wal-Mart and eBay but what about countless mom and pap
shops. Is specialization a good thing at all? Not to deviate from
the topic, but as a customer I don't always want the cheapest and most
accessible. I want the best from a huge selection. Look at Trade-a-
Plane. I actually pay for that :-)

You PAY for trade-a-plane?

Why?

I didn't think anyone paid for that anymore - except maybe every now and
then when one was i n the marlet for a plane and couldn;t find listings
online.

Old April 5th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Newps wrote:

wrote:

[...]

online.- Hide quoted text -

It is only $3 lol and I don't buy it every time it comes out which is
3 times per month. I am very familiar with traditional auctions. I
am also a bargain hunter and auctions unlike classified ads provide
opportunities to snatch a good deal. For example I am looking into
inspecting this airplane on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...04034089QQrdZ1

At $65K it is a steal but I need to confirm that by inspecting it in
person. Now would anyone here complain if there was a great auction
site out there with 5 times the amount of aviation stuff currently
listed on eBay...

Old April 5th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...04034089QQrdZ1

At $65K it is a steal but I need to confirm that by inspecting it in
person. Now would anyone here complain if there was a great auction
site out there with 5 times the amount of aviation stuff currently
listed on eBay...

That plane isn't such a steal. The whole tail was replaced because it
was bent forward of the tail, that's a lot of damage. Plus the engine
and prop were trashed after hitting a light. It was already on a
salvage site.