"Glider Crash Kills Pilot" in Boulder Colorado

Old April 2nd 11, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Logajan

Default "Glider Crash Kills Pilot" in Boulder Colorado

Just saw this posted to the PoA forum (second link):

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...56/detail.html

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...ad.php?t=41133
Old April 2nd 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L33

From the Boulder newspaper:

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17751948

Our prayers go out to all who are dealing with this loss.

Horst
Old April 2nd 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

So sad... My prayers and condolences go out to the family and friends of
the pilot.

I'm not looking forward to finding out who the pilot was.

Some reports indicate it was the Grob 102 from Mile High Gliding - but
perhaps that is speculation. I flew that glider 3 weeks ago. I rented it.
The people at Mile High Gliding were very nice and helpful.

Paul Remde

.. .

Old April 3rd 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I'm very anxious to learn more about this tragedy. If someone knows more,
please contact me directly.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

Old April 3rd 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L33

The latest from the Boulder paper......

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_17756348

Horst
Old April 3rd 11, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the information.

So sad... D.J. was a very nice man. A few months ago he stopped by my home
office for some soaring software training. Then, 3 weeks ago he encouraged
me to fly from Mile High Gliding while in Boulder for the local soaring
seminar. He joined us for lunch and hung out at the airport all day while I
went flying. I think he wanted to make sure I had fun at his home airport.
He was very helpful. He also helped me feel comfortable in the Mile High
Gliding Grob 102 - with is the glider he was flying yesterday.

He was extremely motivated about soaring and was pursuing his soaring badges
with earnest. I believe he had relatively few hours in gliders - at least
for the number of badges he had obtained.

The article below mentions that he enjoyed downhill skiing. When he visited
me here in Minnesota he had travelled here with his brother - who was
somehow involved with a downhill ski racing event at a nearby ski area.

I will miss D.J. My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to his family
and friends.

Hopefully we will be able to learn something from this tragedy - and it will
help us all fly more safely.

Fly safe,

Paul Remde

Old April 4th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX

Paul Remde and I (Walt Rogers) hung out with D.J most of the day after
the Colorado Soaring Seminar (Mar 13, 2011) at Boulder airport. Just
as Paul said, DJ was very enthusiastic about soaring and anxious to
pursue XC and badges. He was one of those guys who was constantly
looking to see where he could help. He wanted to make you feel
welcome.

Although new to soaring, that level of energy and passion for the
sport will be missed. My condolences and prayer go to his family and
friends.

Walt Rogers, WX