BOHICA! Weiner's Bill to Restrict GA

Old September 10th 04, 05:09 PM
C J Campbell

"Roger Long" wrote in message
. ..
Why do you say Democrats? I've noticed the Repubs being much more
interested in what people do in their bedrooms and the privacy of their
homes.

If that is the case, why is that every most major advocates of eugenics,
euthanasia, and rigidly enforced population control are Democrats? That
sounds like an awful lot of interference in the bedroom to me.

I suppose that Dems, who basically run the nation's schools, have nothing to
do with the fact that kids need a permission slip to take aspirin, but
parents are prohibited from knowing about their kids' abortions? Sounds like
a lot of interference in home life to me.

Interference in bedrooms and private family life? Let's see, you can't
discipline your own children any more, are suspect if you even try to teach
them your religious beliefs or moral standards, but you must constantly pry
into whether they are smoking. Naw, it wouldn't be the Democrats, would it?

Old September 10th 04, 05:10 PM
C J Campbell

"John Harlow" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Roger Long" wrote in message
. ..

Why do you say Democrats? I've noticed the Repubs being much more
interested in what people do in their bedrooms and the privacy of
their homes.

How so?

Bush's attempts to legislate morality.

Oh? I suppose you could suggest what some of these attempts were?

Old September 10th 04, 05:12 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Bush's attempts to legislate morality.

What attempts?

Old September 10th 04, 05:15 PM
John Harlow

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0040224-2.html

Old September 10th 04, 05:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message

You must not be familiar with Virginia...

Somewhat, I've vacationed there several times.

where Adultery is still a felony,
and someone recently was prosecuted on such a charge.

...and where sodomy is still a crime, even between consenting adults in
the privacy of their bedrooms...

When were these laws passed? Who controlled the government then and in the
intervening years?

...and where the GOP has run the state treasury into the ground...

How so?

Old September 10th 04, 05:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Bush's attempts to legislate morality.

Oh? I suppose you could suggest what some of these attempts were?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0040224-2.html

How is that an attempt to legislate morality?

Old September 10th 04, 05:20 PM
C J Campbell

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Bush's attempts to legislate morality.

Oh? I suppose you could suggest what some of these attempts were?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0040224-2.html

This appears to be an attempt to prevent others from legislating morality,
or simply imposing their version of morality from the judicial bench.

Old September 10th 04, 05:37 PM
John Harlow

C J Campbell wrote:
"John Harlow" wrote in message

Bush's attempts to legislate morality.

Oh? I suppose you could suggest what some of these attempts were?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0040224-2.html

This appears to be an attempt to prevent others from legislating
morality, or simply imposing their version of morality from the
judicial bench.

No, it is a desire to control an individual's choice as to who they can
marry. It's none of Bush's damn business who I, you or anybody else choose
to marry.

This is but one example. From
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...62/ai_86048070

"In a related matter, the Bush administration proposed on February 26 a
total global ban on all experimentation in the field of cloning. Making no
distinction between therapeutic and reproductive research, the
administration's position has caused outrage among scientists. A
spokesperson for the American Society for Reproductive Medicine declared,
"It's bad enough that the administration would seek to impose its views on
the American people, let alone the entire world."
Bush has also asked for legislation that would pour millions of federal
dollars into abstinence-only education and efforts to encourage single
mothers to marry regardless of the circumstances--maneuvers which would have
his personal sectarian views on morality established into civic law. In his
State of the Union address, he expressed pride in the liberation of women in
Afghanistan; however, by announcing these initiatives, he hypocritically is
attempting to limit women's rights at home.

And these aren't Bush's only forays into the realm of public morality. His
administration previously challenged assisted suicide, put a hold on
international family planning funding, tried to remove birth control
coverage from federal employees' insurance plans, restricted stem cell
research, ended the Labor Department's "Equal Pay Matters" program, skipped
the international conference on racism, refused to continue the presidential
tradition of proclaiming Gay Pride Month, and passed legislation effectively
violating privacy and other freedoms."

Old September 10th 04, 05:47 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harlow" wrote in message

No, it is a desire to control an individual's choice as to who they can
marry. It's none of Bush's damn business who I, you or anybody else
choose to marry.

It places no restrictions on who anybody can marry.

Old September 10th 04, 05:50 PM
Tom S.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

In fact, what do you expect from a guy who claimed under oath that he

raped,
pillaged, and burned, Genghis Khan style, whole villages, shot babies,

made
necklaces of human ears, and cut off fingers?

Funny thing is, he never caught any of that on the movie camera he had with
him to re-enact his heroic exploits.
--------------------
“Mr. Memphis, believe me, it would be a lie if I didn’t tell you some years
back, Bob Lee had a problem with the bottle and had some wild times. He’s
always in pain, you know, because of the way he was hurt in the war. But I
believe Bob Lee has found himself in some way. All he wants from life is
freedom and to be left alone.”

“What about medals? Has he ever said anything about medals? Are medals
important to him?”

“To Bob Lee? Let me tell you something, son—were you in the war or
anything?”

“No sir, I wasn’t.”

“Well, son, the only people that are interested in medals are the ones that
are fixing to run for office some day. I went from one side of Burma to the
other with General Merrill’s Marauders in 1943 and 1944, and the only man I
ever saw who wanted a medal or cared about a medal later became the only
governor of Colorado to be impeached.

Stephen Hunter, “Point of Impact”, Bantam Books, 1993