Best damn or luciest pilot

Old September 15th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Best damn or luciest pilot

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

Old September 15th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

It was military. This only proves that money is what makes an airplane
fly, not aerodynamics.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 15th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

This is a true story, but I think the bottom three photos in the left hand
column are photo-shopped. In those photos, the wing is cleanly sheared off,
where the other photos show a fairly large stub at the root near the leading
edge.

KB

Old September 16th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

The special about it on History channel (about 2 years ago) said that
at first Boeing didn't believe it really happened until they sent their
engineers out. They explaination is that the body itself generates so
much lift it could still fly. If you think about the amount of G's
those planes can pull and the amount of load (bombs , etc) they can
carry they must have an enormous amount of excess lift.

-Robert

Old September 16th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:48:37 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
2dFOg.22744$SZ3.2566@dukeread04:

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

Wings? We don't need no stinkin' wings!

Old September 16th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

This is a true story, but I think the bottom three photos in the left hand
column are photo-shopped. In those photos, the wing is cleanly sheared off,
where the other photos show a fairly large stub at the root near the leading
edge.

KB

And the angle of attack looks pretty high for a landing speed that is
twice normal. And I'd be surprised that he'd lower the flap on the
remaining wing during landing. And the starboard side of the tail
appears to be missing. And ...

Matt
Old September 16th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:48:37 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
2dFOg.22744$SZ3.2566@dukeread04:

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

Wings? We don't need no stinkin' wings!

They just add drag.

Matt
Old September 16th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

I'm pretty opposed to jumping out of airplanes, but I think I would have
bailed out of that one.
Old September 16th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

And the angle of attack looks pretty high for a landing speed that is
twice normal. And I'd be surprised that he'd lower the flap on the
remaining wing during landing. And the starboard side of the tail
appears to be missing. And ...

Matt

You're right about the angle of attack looking pretty high for a
landing speed
twice normal but that's only if he had two wings. It is certainly
reasonable to
have to have a high AOA and a much higher speed with a missing wing.
In
a F-111 with the wings stuck back at 72 degrees, our landing speed
would be
well over 200 knots with a very high AOA compared to a normal approach
and landing.

Old September 16th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html

I was in a McDonnell -Douglas tech-rep's office at Langley AFB
when the message first came in. They figured it was an error in
translation that should have said "three feet of wing missing", not "
three feet remaining". The flight controls in the F-15 don't
necessarily move the way you expect when you move the stick. You move
the stick and rudders to tell the airplane what you want it to do and
the flight control computer sort of figures out where to move things.
Anything the F-15 has two of, you can fly with one of. I always
figured it was tougher than a B-17, or anything else.

Stupid Question Crash Lander Piloting 35 July 23rd 06 02:39 AM
Sports Pilot Television Expands Market Coverage AJ Piloting 0 April 10th 06 11:17 PM
NTSB: USAF included? Larry Dighera Piloting 10 September 11th 05 10:33 AM