The Era of GA is Alive!

Old March 19th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Google Madness

Default The Era of GA is Alive!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my original post last week of concerns
about getting into GA.
Just wanted to let you know that your encouragement was taken to heart and
I've taken the leap. I even have two lessons under my belt already and two
more scheduled for this week. It's totally awesome and i can't believe i've
procrastinated this long!.

Thanks, Gene

Old March 19th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Mar 19, 9:14 am, "Google Madness" wrote:
Thanks to all of you who responded to my original post last week of concerns
about getting into GA.
Just wanted to let you know that your encouragement was taken to heart and
I've taken the leap. I even have two lessons under my belt already and two
more scheduled for this week. It's totally awesome and i can't believe i've
procrastinated this long!.

Thanks, Gene

Congratulations; there's nothing quite like it. And by taking lessons
frequently, you will reduce the amount of "retraining" that comes with
infrequent flying.

Old March 19th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

On Mar 19, 9:14 am, "Google Madness" wrote:
Thanks to all of you who responded to my original post last week of

concerns
about getting into GA.
Just wanted to let you know that your encouragement was taken to heart

and
I've taken the leap. I even have two lessons under my belt already and

two
more scheduled for this week. It's totally awesome and i can't believe

i've
procrastinated this long!.

Thanks, Gene

Good for you! You will never regret it.

BDS

Old March 19th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Congrats!!
As in any vocation, there are those who talk about it and those who do it.
YOU, my friend, are a "doer". Keep it up!
Jim

Old March 19th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Google Madness wrote:
Thanks to all of you who responded to my original post last week of
concerns about getting into GA.
Just wanted to let you know that your encouragement was taken to
heart and I've taken the leap. I even have two lessons under my belt
already and two more scheduled for this week. It's totally awesome
and i can't believe i've procrastinated this long!.

Thanks, Gene

Damn glad to hear it.

Old March 19th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:14:42 +0000, Google Madness wrote:

I even have two lessons under my belt already and two
more scheduled for this week.

Welcome, and Congrats.

- Andrew

Old March 19th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Google Madness" wrote in message
Thanks to all of you who responded to my original post last week of
concerns about getting into GA.
Just wanted to let you know that your encouragement was taken to heart and
I've taken the leap. I even have two lessons under my belt already and two
more scheduled for this week. It's totally awesome and i can't believe
i've procrastinated this long!.

WAY to GO!

All right, but give us some of the low-down, like what are you flying,
approximately where (or the exact airport if you feel like sharing) this is
all happening, and what you have done so far, and how easy or hard you have
found some of the activities.

You will be surprised how many people will likely pop up with help, or might
even be someone you know, or at your airport. Help and learning is what
this group is all about!
--
Jim in NC

Old March 20th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Just wanted to let you know that your encouragement was taken to heart and
I've taken the leap.

Great to hear it, Gene. You will never forget:

1. Your first flight in a light plane.
2. Your first flying lesson.
3. Your first solo flight.
4. Your first solo cross country flight.
5. Earning your ticket.

Keep us posted!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 20th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

HA!

You have now ceased to be one who will always wonder "what IF?"

Dave

Old March 20th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Google Madness

I'm flying out of KTI ( McKinney, Tx ) in a Cessena 152.

I've flown R/C Models for years and think i went in a little over confident
about my abilities and after an hour of discussion on the ground and another
hour in the air i was about brain-dead. I did the takeoff, then some turns
( which lead to a stream of "Nose is too high, Nose is too low, don't forget
the Rudder, etc ), then some power on and power off stalls, and what he
called Dutch Turns ( repeated shallow left / right turns keeping the nose
pointed straight ahead). What i found so much harder than on the MS Flight
simulator was trying to watch nose position out the window plus scan the
instruments after i'd gotten so use to flying by nothing but the instruments
on the computer - not to mention i don't have pedals so the rudder was just
a theoretical concept up to now. To finish off i even did the landing, with
him giving Lots of help on his side. After that i went home and laid on the
floor with my head feeling like someone sucked my brains out with a straw.

That was Sat and i went back Sun with the Get Back in the Saddle attitude.
The first thing i asked before we even left the ground was if i should focus
more on the instruments to fly or on visual references out the window. I was
pretty surprised by the response of, "If i see you're starring at those
instruments i'm gonna cover em up. Learn to fly by the seat of your pants
for now". That was a shock! But ya know what, i took that advice and either
it all just mentally clicked for me or that was the trick but day two was
sooooo much better than day one. After doing a few turns, during which i
DIDN'T generate any "Your noses is too high / your nose is too low" comments
we moved onto flying with a cross wind and showing me the concept of
crabbing. That was followed up by some relaxed flying to find and fly over
my house (i'm only about 15 min hwy drive from the airport). The he taught
me how to slip the plain and keep it pointed into the wind. I finished up
the evening flying rectangles using roads as references and practicing
having to crab into the wind on the crosswind legs and vary the amount of
bank on the turns according to the wind direction at each corner. By then
it was pretty dark and we quit for the night, but it was a cool sight seeing
all the lights down below too. I went home feeling pretty darn good about
how i'd done this time.

[clip]