SSA Membership Growing

Old December 13th 05, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Membership Growing

From the latest electronic SSA Newsletter:

"...our 2005 member number is...12,740 members, up from 12,434 in 2004,
which was up from 12,122 at the end of 2003."

Jack
Old December 13th 05, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ye Gods! Out of a total population of nearly 250 million
in the US, is 12,740 members the best you can manage?
We have nearly that many in the UK with a population
on only 60 million, and a climate that is far less
conducive to soaring. Or is that you can be a glider
pilot in the USA without being a member of the SSA?

Glad to see it's increasing anyway.

Derek Copeland

From the latest electronic SSA Newsletter:

Old December 13th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Exactly, here in Colorado there are approximately 470 SSA members and
1430 glider ratings.

Frank Whiteley

Old December 13th 05, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Of those 1430 glider ratings, how many are actually getting used?

I read somewhere there are something like 60,000 glider ratings in the
US, but I'd bet 75% of them are dormant.

Old December 13th 05, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I was a skydiver (1981 - 2004), USPA membership was required to
jump at any USPA affiliated skydiving center, which was practically all
of them. When I started taking gliding lessons at one of the largest
schools in the country I was astonished to learn that not a single
staff member was an SSA member.

I've since come to understand how and why SSA doesn't enjoy a
similar situation, but it still surprises me how many active pilots in
the USA do not maintain SSA membership.

~ted/2NO

Old December 13th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't want to belittle the problems we have, but
the figures ratings/membership must be interpreted
properly.

Three years ago our club was needing more instructors.
A search of the FAA database for instructors in Indiana
indicated there were 56 with CFIG ratings. I examined
the list carefully and learned that most of those living
in my area were old geezers like me and who had been
'ratings collectors' in their prime. I know some of
these guys personally, and I know they haven't been
in a glider since the 1940s and 1950s, that they did
a quickie route to append the rating onto their CFI,
ATP, etc. and that they know almost nothing about soaring.
They flew 2-22s, focussing on the number of flights
and hours required, and never got back in a glider
again.

Remember that there was no glider instructer certificate
until the mid 60s and a commercial glider pilot allowed
to instruct. Further, any commercial glider pilot
who had given as many as 10 instructional flights was
grandfathered. That's the way I got mine.

I see some of these fellows at least monthly, they
know I fly gliders, and they have never mentioned having
the rating. They have all sorts of ratings and I won't
comment further, except to say that they love aviation
and have done lots of SEL/MEL flying.

Old December 13th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'll bite. Terry, why are you considering dropping your affiliation
with the SSA?

On 13 Dec 2005 13:27:02 -0800, "Terry" wrote:

wrote:
When I started taking gliding lessons at one of the largest
schools in the country I was astonished to learn that not a single
staff member was an SSA member.

~ted/2NO

================================================= ===
Actually, Ted I am one at least until the end of the month. I have yet
to decide given my interactions with the association this past year.

Did you ask anyone why? Make sure that you have some time when you do.

Terry
E68

Old December 17th 05, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote in message
oups.com...
Of those 1430 glider ratings, how many are actually getting used?

I read somewhere there are something like 60,000 glider ratings in the
US, but I'd bet 75% of them are dormant.

Or dead. How would the FAA know? When do they take anyone out of the
database? Ever?

I'm still in the database:

Address
Address is not available

Medical Class : Third Medical Date: 02/1979
MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.

DOI : 01/14/1975
CertIficate: PRIVATE PILOT

Rating(s):

PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

I probably haven't logged any time since 1980 or so, no bi-annuals, and
never sent them a change of address either (1979 would be about 3 addresses
out of date)...

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old December 17th 05, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm looking at method to sort that out for Colorado. The FAA is first
sorting is out for aircraft
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#191179

One of our club members recently found himself as registered owner of a
glider he sold nine years ago.

Clearly, some percentage of active soaring pilots are not SSA members.
Likewise, some number of SSA members are not active soaring pilots. If
they take too many pilots out of the database, they'd have less
justification for their existence.

Frank Whiteley

WORLD MEMBERSHIP REPORT - POLAND, AUSTRIA, BELGIUM John Roake Soaring 0 February 18th 05 01:02 AM
SSA Membership Bill Staley Soaring 8 January 14th 05 02:42 AM
JET99 is growing at an amazing rate! Join for CASH & Air Miles PBoyd77443 Home Built 1 July 18th 04 04:10 PM
JET99 is growing real FAST JOIN NOW for CASH & AIRMILES PBoyd77443 General Aviation 0 July 18th 04 03:59 PM