F/A-22 cost falls to LCS levels.

Old March 24th 04, 08:42 PM
Yama

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
Yama wrote:
Yes, it's less than 2.5 times more pricy than next most expensive

fighter...

I hope Carlo Kopp reads this. He ensured me that there is absolutely no
reason to think that F-22 will cost more than $70M, and export version

is
likely to be much cheaper.

Export?

Who would buy it?

According to Carlo, air forces of the world would be tripping to each other
when rushing to buy F-22; namely Saudi-Arabia, Japan, Taiwan, ROK, Israel
and Australia.

Old March 25th 04, 03:34 AM
Henry J Cobb

Looks like I was wrong and they've managed to get the F/A-22 costs under
control after all.

My bad.

Key U.S. senator vows to save Lockheed F/A-22 jet
http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswi...tr1310900.html
The Air Force has agreed to buy 22 more F/A-22 fighters from Lockheed
for less than $110 million per airframe, not including the engines,
Sambur said.

So it isn't $110 million for a complete airplane after all, unless it's
some sort of stealth glider.

-HJC

Old March 25th 04, 05:27 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
Looks like I was wrong and they've managed to get the F/A-22 costs under
control after all.

My bad.

Key U.S. senator vows to save Lockheed F/A-22 jet
http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswi...tr1310900.html
The Air Force has agreed to buy 22 more F/A-22 fighters from Lockheed
for less than $110 million per airframe, not including the engines,
Sambur said.

So it isn't $110 million for a complete airplane after all,

"Yet". You need to add that. As the order volume increases, the unit cost
decreases. Simple concept--even you should be able to grasp it.

Brooks

unless it's
some sort of stealth glider.

-HJC

Old March 25th 04, 08:23 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
Looks like I was wrong and they've managed to get the F/A-22 costs

under
control after all.

My bad.

Key U.S. senator vows to save Lockheed F/A-22 jet
http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswi...tr1310900.html
The Air Force has agreed to buy 22 more F/A-22 fighters from Lockheed
for less than $110 million per airframe, not including the engines,
Sambur said.

So it isn't $110 million for a complete airplane after all,

"Yet". You need to add that. As the order volume increases, the unit cost
decreases. Simple concept--even you should be able to grasp it.

No Kevin, the $110 million does not include any amortization; therefore
there is no decrease in price for volume under "each" accounting. These
airplanes are costing about $220 million per airframe under current buy
numbers and will probably reach $300 million per airframe when all the
reductions in the buy are done. (160 pieces)

Old March 25th 04, 09:51 AM
John Cook

I hope Carlo Kopp reads this. He ensured me that there is absolutely no
reason to think that F-22 will cost more than $70M, and export version is
likely to be much cheaper.

You should read his latest on save the F111!!!!, the whole of the Oz
defence department got the sums wrong on how much the F111 would cost
to maintain, I wonder why they didn't just ask him for his unbiased
and impartial appraisal...

Is there a link to it?

take a look here

http://www.headsup.com.au/

and the actual peice is here

http://headsup.sitesuite.ws/files/hu_298.pdf

Cheers

John Cook

Any spelling mistakes/grammatic errors are there purely to annoy. All
opinions are mine, not TAFE's however much they beg me for them.

Email Address :-
Spam trap - please remove (trousers) to email me
Eurofighter Website :-
http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk

Old March 25th 04, 04:13 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:23:35 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Yet". You need to add that. As the order volume increases, the unit cost
decreases. Simple concept--even you should be able to grasp it.

No Kevin, the $110 million does not include any amortization; therefore
there is no decrease in price for volume under "each" accounting. These
airplanes are costing about $220 million per airframe under current buy
numbers and will probably reach $300 million per airframe when all the
reductions in the buy are done. (160 pieces)

Costing of aircraft is never a simple exercise and it is increasingly
driven not by accounting, but by political posturing. If one wants a
contract, the pricing is based on unit fly-away cost. If one opposes
the purchase, then the cost is fully amortized, life-cycle cost with
spares and support equipment---OMIGOD, we can't afford it!

When ATF was first put out for proposal the $$$/weight criteria were
$30M per airplane and 50K pounds max. Clearly the weight is an
objective measurement, but the dollar cost was releated to a purchase
of 600+ and was going to be unit fly-away cost. As the buy numbers
have reduced (a not unreasonable reaction to a considerably changed
threat), the cost per unit has risen. Costs of $220M per aircraft are
clearly loaded numbers with full R&D incorporated.

Once you've amortized R&D costs, however--and that's been done already
in the long term contract numbers--then the cost per unit for
additional purchases can be expressed in a fairly straightforward
number. Want to buy fifty more? Then that will cost you XXX dollars.
The factory is built, the tools are in place, the R&D has been already
incurred and all that is going to be added is material and labor.

Throughout the process you can revisit and for political argument's
sake recalculate the total cost of the program. That doesn't relate to
contracts, but it does relate to an averaging of unit cost. Buy more
units and lo, the cost per unit goes down. Cut the buy and, surprise,
the cost per unit goes up.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old March 25th 04, 06:37 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Yet". You need to add that. As the order volume increases, the unit

cost
decreases. Simple concept--even you should be able to grasp it.

No Kevin, the $110 million does not include any amortization; therefore
there is no decrease in price for volume under "each" accounting. These
airplanes are costing about $220 million per airframe under current buy
numbers and will probably reach $300 million per airframe when all the
reductions in the buy are done. (160 pieces)

Costing of aircraft is never a simple exercise and it is increasingly
driven not by accounting, but by political posturing. If one wants a
contract, the pricing is based on unit fly-away cost. If one opposes
the purchase, then the cost is fully amortized, life-cycle cost with
spares and support equipment---OMIGOD, we can't afford it!

That is true, but is non-responsive to the fact that there is no reduction
in cost for more units unless the amortization is included in the accounting
method.

When ATF was first put out for proposal the $$$/weight criteria were
$30M per airplane and 50K pounds max. Clearly the weight is an
objective measurement, but the dollar cost was releated to a purchase
of 600+ and was going to be unit fly-away cost.

800.

As the buy numbers
have reduced (a not unreasonable reaction to a considerably changed
threat), the cost per unit has risen. Costs of $220M per aircraft are
clearly loaded numbers with full R&D incorporated.

The $220 million price is only valid for the 220 airframe purchase. As that
number approaches 160 actual the price is higher.

Once you've amortized R&D costs, however--and that's been done already
in the long term contract numbers--then the cost per unit for
additional purchases can be expressed in a fairly straightforward
number. Want to buy fifty more? Then that will cost you XXX dollars.
The factory is built, the tools are in place, the R&D has been already
incurred and all that is going to be added is material and labor.

I agree that the money is already spent and the Gerogia line needs the work,
but I don't see an add before the line is shut and the tools destroyed.

Throughout the process you can revisit and for political argument's
sake recalculate the total cost of the program. That doesn't relate to
contracts, but it does relate to an averaging of unit cost. Buy more
units and lo, the cost per unit goes down. Cut the buy and, surprise,
the cost per unit goes up.

Can't transfer F-22 technology to the F-35 and the F-35 goes up too. The
F-22 program has been a fiasco, but my hat is off to the new managemnt that
froze the F-22's configuration last Summer. Finally a baseline.

Old March 25th 04, 07:08 PM
Alan Minyard

Yama wrote:
Yes, it's less than 2.5 times more pricy than next most expensive

fighter...

I hope Carlo Kopp reads this. He ensured me that there is absolutely no
reason to think that F-22 will cost more than $70M, and export version

is
likely to be much cheaper.

Export?

Who would buy it?

According to Carlo, air forces of the world would be tripping to each other
when rushing to buy F-22; namely Saudi-Arabia, Japan, Taiwan, ROK, Israel
and Australia.

We would not sell it to them. The only possible exception would be Australia.

Al Minyard